Static Mesh Improvement Mod - SMIM (by Brumbek)

z929669

I've had some weird stuttering in caves as I've been testing Skyrim Revisited. I am at the point where I've begun to install stuff like HD Linen and the smaller texture overhauls. I tested the cave near Windhelm (can't remember the name now, but it's the one with bandits and is icy on the inside... it is just off the Winterhold road I think).

I am wondering if this could be the result of SMIM's changes to lanterns (which supposedly cause performance issues?) as it seemed that there were a lot of lanterns in that cave. Maybe it's something else!

I've had some weird stuttering in caves as I've been testing Skyrim Revisited. I am at the point where I've begun to install stuff like HD Linen and the smaller texture overhauls. I tested the cave near Windhelm (can't remember the name now, but it's the one with bandits and is icy on the inside... it is just off the Winterhold road I think).

I am wondering if this could be the result of SMIM's changes to lanterns (which supposedly cause performance issues?) as it seemed that there were a lot of lanterns in that cave. Maybe it's something else!

Most likely scripting mods rather than textures. Caves are enclosed cells and textures could only hamper really low-end cards

Maybe lighting mods could also be an issue. Lots of things happending in SR.

I'm trying to think of what scripts I have running that would affect interiors at this point. Will have to double check. The lighting mods I'm using are ELFX (from SR-Legendary, but a mod I have used for a while and like better than SLO) and I guess Climates of Tamriel? I am not currently using ENB (doing SR installation pretty much in order, with some departures based on Legendary or because it recommends mods that I won't use for one reason or another, ex: Unique Region Names).

I am currently running BSF and EBT but the stuttering occurred at the entrance mostly (just after getting into the cave), not in combat. The cave is the one near Anga's Mill if that makes any difference. I haven't tested any other caves except Embershard Mine at this point but I expect that if it's a script problem or texture problem I will be encountering it again.

I'm trying to think of what scripts I have running that would affect interiors at this point. Will have to double check. The lighting mods I'm using are ELFX (from SR-Legendary, but a mod I have used for a while and like better than SLO) and I guess Climates of Tamriel?

I am currently running BSF and EBT but the stuttering occurred at the entrance, not in combat.

You mean RLO?

I doubt it, too EssArrBee. I just thought I'd better ask considering the note about lanterns causing performance loss.

I did mean RLO, DoYouEvenModBro. My bad!

Is it possible that I'm getting this because of AA being disabled in all its myriad forms? I followed the recommendation to disable it in TESV.exe and not override with my GPU (cuz of ENB I guess?) and it does leave the game with some jag and weird looking fences but for my current (testing) purposes it works fine.

I will try to reproduce the stuttering in the cave and test out a few more areas and report again. I'll also try deactivating SMIM or hiding the lantern texture as I test.

Several nice improvements:

• SMIM'd the Riften wood and metal load door (riftendoor01.nif) used 90+ places. Now uses full 3D handles and greatly improved the metal texture plus added much mesh detail. Why? Because I can.
  • SMIM'd the Riften interior wood door (riftendoor02.nif) used 70+ places. Now uses full 3D handles plus added much mesh detail. This uses the vanilla wood texture.
  • Slight change to Riften Keep door (riftenkeepdoor01.nif) to improve alpha on metal. Changed actual texture too to improve alpha quality.
  • Redid the Tankard texture to use a more fitting Pewter style texture instead of my original brushed steel texture. Minor texture and UV improvements also added. This is the new recommended install option, but the old styles are still included.
  • SMIM'd the hanging dead animals rings (hanginganimals series) used in 400+ places to be high polygon and use a new custom texture. The originals were very blurry and lacking detail.
  • Fixed install folder for Noble Furniture so it installs to the correct location (thanks Jebbalon).
  • Fixed SMIM rope alpha on normal map to make it not very shiny.
  • Changed directories for Half-Textures installs to make it so they always overwrite the write textures.
  • Created new normal map for campfire rocks to eliminate the specular UV lighting engine limitation. Slight tweak to diffuse map to remove one wrong shadow also. Also reduced the texture size and made the 4k size part of the Ultra install option.
  • UV fixes for rockpilel01.nif.
  • Smoothed polygons on rockpilel01.nif as part of Rocks - Generic install option.

It's not just you apparently. I'd just wait a day or two then update since.

Version 1.521

-Fixed missing Noble chairs textures.

-Fixed BAIN installer issues.

-Fixed some grass issues on dirtcliffs03moss.nif mesh. This removes the see-through portion and ugly single rock triangle on the side of DirtCliffs03Moss:0 block. Thanks novadove for finding the issue.

-Many UV and other tweaks to all dirtcliffsXXmoss.nif series to fix seams, holes, UV errors, alpha grass clipping, and other issues. This is part of the core install.

-Added smoothed version of minecboulderl02.nif to Rocks - Generic installer.

-Many UV fixes for rockl02.nif and minecboulderl02.nif.

Yeah!! Another update because we really tested all the new stuff for the last five releases, oh wait....

Version 1.53

-SMIM'd the rabbits to use high quality meshes and a new texture. This actually includes the rabbit creature itself and the hanging dead variants. The original rabbit mesh and texture was pretty awful.

-Partially SMIM'd carriages to use a new seat mesh and texture. Also fixed many, many stretched wood textures and other various UV issues. This is a new install option. Prison carriage not included yet.

-Fixed carriage rugs vertex color errors to remove black lines. All this time...how did we even play Skyrim with carriage rugs with black lines? How?!

-Also fixed the annoying floating leather horse harness strips on the carriages. So many players never even noticed this issue. But to me it was a mockery; a cruel twisting of horse carriage physics.

-And yet more UV fixes on Whiterun's main gate (wrdoormaingate01.nif). Wood beam UV fixes and improvements. Wood panels aligned to texture properly now. It's called quality control!