Static Mesh Improvement Mod - SMIM (by Brumbek)

z929669

Damn, how could people already be busy with school? I barely went back to work today and no students til the 21st.

Do you guys think Brumbek would be cool with the merging of the furniture and turn fix plugins with our patch? I'd probably have to do it in the Creation Kit, but it would make all plugins from SMIM unneeded.

I'll ask him

Hi Brumbek,

Just a courtesy call to ask if you mind us merging some of your fixes into our patch. this would obviate any need to use the SMIM plugins and rely only on meshes/textures for STEP.

Approve? Disapprove?

Hi there,

I don't mind. Although most of my .esp changes require some of my SMIM meshes/textures too. So I'm not sure exactly what fixes you have in mind.

Me neither, but I assume that the guy doing our patches does :P

Thanks, I'll pass it on.

There is your answer ;)

The esp just contains the exact same changes as the USKP. You can safely untick it if you have the USKP' date=' therefore. However, some people may have SMIM and not have the USKP, so Brumbek should keep his esp file in his releases. BOSS could use a note, however, that if you have USKP, that the SMIM esp is redundant. However, the other esps are still needed.[/quote']

I happened to notice that MO was flagging SMIM as "redundant" in my left pane, so searching this forum I found this discussion. I have the USKP installed, so am I correct that to resolve this I should uncheck the SMIM esp in my right pane?

Yes, depending on the options you chose for SMIM it can have 3 plugins. The base, a snowy chest, and a Dragonborn Tern fix plugin. The one that USKP make redundant is the base plugin: StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp. The other two you still need if you want those changes since USKP does not include those.

Yes' date=' depending on the options you chose for SMIM it can have 3 plugins. The base, a snowy chest, and a Dragonborn Tern fix plugin. The one that USKP make redundant is the base plugin: StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp. The other two you still need if you want those changes since USKP does not include those.[/quote']

To correct my earlier comment: It is actually SMIM Meshes that has the 'redundant' flag, not Static Mesh Improvement Mod.The only esp I see installed related is the Dragonborn Tern one.

SMIM Meshes info indicates that USKP and Static Mesh Improvement Mod are providing conflicting files. (Note: SMIM Meshes is being loaded before Static Mesh Improvement Mod, and also USKP - is this correct?).

I also just realized that  all the unofficial patches are very near the bottom of my load order on the left pane. Not sure why, as I pretty much followed STEP install order (except for some complicated ones I came back to - SMIM was one of them). I think I must have moved them there based on MO suggestion.

Yikes - I think I need to watch the MO instruction video a couple more times.

Ahhh...now I realize SMIM Meshes was not part of Statis Mesh Improvement Mod, but was actually something installed by ELFx. So it looks like I have no issue with SMIM proper.

But I am guessing that this 'SMIM Meshes' installed by ELFx (a patch I presume) should probably load after SMIM proper, as maybe it needs to overwrite some of the SMIM stuff to do it's lighting job?

If this stuff starts making sense to me, I could be dangerous. :-)

Update just landed:

Version 1.62

-SMIM'd the Windmill fans to be 3D instead of 2D. The SkyFalls and SkyMills mod is compatible and recommended. Just make sure you install SMIM last. A vanilla-sized windmills version is included in the full mod package.

-Note the windmills do flicker a bit at a distance simply because there isn't enough pixel density on 1080p and lower resolutions. If it bothers you, you can choose to not install the windmills.

-Also note I fixed some clipping issues with the larger windmills. There still isn't collision on the fans because I'm not sure if the Skyrim engine allows collision on animated non-convex shapes.

-Thanks to SjoertJansen for SkyMills and pfaffendrill for the larger windmills idea.

This says to install SkyMills first then SMIM to get this update to work correctly.

This says to install SkyMills first then SMIM to get this update to work correctly.

If that's the case, we'll probably have to hide (or delete) the two files that conflict with SkyFalls and Realistic Water Two (textures/effects/fxwatertile02_n.dds and textures/effects/fxfluidtile02.dds) and move Skyfalls above SMIM in Conflicting Graphics.

If that's the case, we'll probably have to hide (or delete) the two files that conflict with SkyFalls and Realistic Water Two (textures/effects/fxwatertile02_n.dds and textures/effects/fxfluidtile02.dds) and move Skyfalls above SMIM in Conflicting Graphics.
If you delete meshes/architecture/solitude/swindmill.SM.nif and farmhouse/farmhousewindmill/farmhousewindmillfan02.nif from SkyFalls (same amount of file deletes) everything can stay where it's at, right?