Dual Sheath Redux (by Neovalen)

Neovalen

I'll just throw my two cents in... I've been plugging away slowly with this huge STEP endeavor' date=' and as much as I applaud all the hard work that's gone into it- it isn't easy...even for me, whom spent more time messing with morrowind mods than i did playing [or finishing'] the game. I told myself i'd not do that again, but to find a simple, essential list of mods to clean everything up and make it look pretty. Well here i am again. I have to keep a friggan notepad to keep track of the dozens of things I need to remember to configure this project correctly, and even with all that, i'm sure i'll have messed something up. Its not the mods themselves, its all the utilities that come with their own in-deph configuration, the ambiguous order of operation [compress textures looks fun- one mod at a time, or all later? or at all??], the quirks and procedures that add to the fun. I'm not a developer or programmer, but it does sometimes feel like you have to be one, or at least VERY savvy.

With that being said, I can see this mod list getting bigger and bigger with each release, and the mods selected seem to be just a 'tad' more complex to configure. This one might not be THAT bad...but it does beg the question....do we really want mods that require creating patches and/or known conflicts with other STEP mods etc? Like i said, less is more, and this mod is cool [no disrespect to the author], but if we have to keep a journal of what needs to be loaded in what order, because there's like 15 different mods that require such attention...maybe we need to wait till they are a tad more polished, or finalized... It's going to be really hard to not look at the change log when I'm finally loaded up, to see all the bugs i should be fixing, and trying to update the mods. [contrary to recommendation i know].

Anyways, sorry to rant in this one particular mod's thread. perhaps i should place this somewhere else?

I can understand where your coming from based on some mods having 5+ compatibility patches, unfortunately with whats out there it's the name of the modding game.

As for my mod, the reason it has a patcher is so that it remains compatible with everything (now and in the future - assuming a mesh pack is created).

I don't know. I haven't installed this one yet. I don't care for the complexity involved.

Complexity? Install, run patch, activate new esp, play. It really is that simple. Unless you mean needing a skeleton?

Not any harder than AV, SkyRe, or the like.

I don't use any of those or the like either. :no: Don't get me wrong. The mod is great and I WANT to use it and will install it, but requiring so much just to run the mod properly and then having to fix the conflicts is more complex than anything STEP has done thus far. Perhaps a "STEP version" can be created and uploaded so the users don't have to create a patch or fix the load order. STEP really should be user friendly to all levels of experience and that means eliminating as many detailed steps from the STEP install as possible. That goes for all the mods that have "detailed" instructions in the STEP installation. STEP is such a huge project, it would be nice if the mod authors got on board and created versions of the mods just for STEP; eliminating conflicts, cleaning, picking specific textures, etc.

I was going to ask if there was a Guide to creating a merged patch for conflicting mods - the video on TES5Edits Nexus page is not as clear as it could be. I would much rather create a merged patch than mess with my load order. 

But is my load order above correct?

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited#aMidianBorn_Book_of_Silence guides you on how to make a patch (not a merged patch ala FO3 etc though) for this specific issue (and other issues for the specific set of mods included in Skyrim Revisited)

Ok, I made the patch and activated it, do I deactivate the aMidianborn and GDO esp?

aMidianborn still shows conflict with Dual Sheath Redux.

Nevermind - I looked in the patch and it only contains the fixes so I assume I leave all 3 activated and let BOSS sort order.

I was going to ask if there was a Guide to creating a merged patch for conflicting mods - the video on TES5Edits Nexus page is not as clear as it could be. I would much rather create a merged patch than mess with my load order. 

But is my load order above correct?

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited#aMidianBorn_Book_of_Silence guides you on how to make a patch (not a merged patch ala FO3 etc though) for this specific issue (and other issues for the specific set of mods included in Skyrim Revisited)

Ok, I made the patch and activated it, do I deactivate the aMidianborn and GDO esp?

aMidianborn still shows conflict with Dual Sheath Redux.

Nevermind - I looked in the patch and it only contains the fixes so I assume I leave all 3 activated and let BOSS sort order.

Yeah just let BOSS sort it, and follow the guidelines for BUM there as well so BOSS can sort the patch you made properly

Hi guys. I have been following the STEP project for a while, but have honestly only just recently started using the tools recommended for installing (i.e. WryeBash). So far, its all been good, but I ran into a bit of wall when it comes to Neo's Dual Sheath Redux Mod. I mean, I followed the instructions as I understood them, and the mod works with vanilla weapons. But I'm not quite sure why, it won't work with the weapon mods. Please could someone tell me exactly what I have to do with the compatibility patch archives, and whether or not the files should overwrite the main mod files, and if so, in what order?

Sorry, I know this may be a real noob question, but I've tried installing it in various ways, scoured the net for more detailed instructions, but simply couldn't figure it out.

BTW, I love the STEP project admins, and the great work they, and the mod testers are doing. The guides for Wrye Bash & MO are wonderful, and Neo's Skyrim Revisited helped me learn a lot about how to set up a modded Skyrim using these 'otherwise confusing tools'.

Weapon mods require mesh packs which can be found on the optionals. With the exception of aMidianBorn it won't overwrite any files. The patch should be run after all your mods are installed which add weapons/shields and if you ever add or remove such mods.

I just wanted to ask, I know that issues with the vanilla unsheathing animations are mentioned on the first page; does anyone know of any alternate unsheathe animations intended to better work with a mod of this nature, whether finished or in progress?

If nothing else, it's something that I might try to tackle myself, but that would require learning animations in Skyrim from the ground up (a daunting task, I've read), so I'm hoping that someone with more and better foreknowledge might already be on the case, if they haven't already completed it.

Weapon mods require mesh packs which can be found on the optionals. With the exception of aMidianBorn it won't overwrite any files. The patch should be run after all your mods are installed which add weapons/shields and if you ever add or remove such mods.

Thanks so much for the explanation, Neo. I thought that was how I did it, but I tried it again, and this time it worked.

I just wanted to ask, I know that issues with the vanilla unsheathing animations are mentioned on the first page; does anyone know of any alternate unsheathe animations intended to better work with a mod of this nature, whether finished or in progress?

If nothing else, it's something that I might try to tackle myself, but that would require learning animations in Skyrim from the ground up (a daunting task, I've read), so I'm hoping that someone with more and better foreknowledge might already be on the case, if they haven't already completed it.

I've been contacted by a few people, but nothing significant enough to report at this time.

So we need new patch packs for anything with a shield in it - Skyforge Shields, Immersive Armors and B-D-Y-E-B Shield Mod if we use them? (I think I've decided I like Skyforge Shields...)  Seems to work correctly for the Skyforge Steel Light Shield anyway.

What about staffs?

Looks like Vilja has her shield on her back now.

When I put on a fur backpack it kept the shield on my back and clipped it (which I think looks OK but not great) - is that how it's supposed to work. I couldn't remember how you left this.

Did not try out the cloak feature.

Yeah new patch packs required for any shield mods. I updated the two on my page already. (IA / SFS)

I haven't touched staffs at all, glad to hear Vilja works for you now.

Nothing with backpacks yet.

One of my games seem to have become corrupted.  If I load an early save my follower has a hide shield and carries it on her back.  In later saves she has still has the hide shield and its depicted in her left hand when she's fighting.  However, when she places it on her back it turns into a wooden with a heavy iron design on it (see pictures at link below).  I can't ever recall seeing it before, but it seems vaguely familiar.  It doesn't seem to have come from any of the compatibility patches.  I did just install ASIS and swapped around several mods, but it occurs on late games but not early saves using exactly the same configurations of mods, etc.  I thought it might have to do with the cloak she's wearing, but it persists whether she wears the cloak or not.  In fact it persists even when I take the shield away from her altogether or give her another shield.  The only change I can think is that the shield has been tempered - but this did not show up when I first tempered it, only after I installed ASIS and ran the Skyproc, etc. for it.

Does anyone recognize this shield, know what it is or where it came from?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9h4567sa3h6xpiz/2013-04-21_00001.jpg?v=0scn

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kayqy22c148j83l/2013-04-21_00003.jpg?v=0scn

I think thats one of the SkyForge Shields. Try doing a full uninstall (per my description) and re-install.

Thanks.

It's not really like any of the illustrations.  Both the light and heavy ones all have left-right and top-bottom symmetry.  This illustration only has left-right symmetry; the bottom has a different design. Also, all of the metal work on the Skyforge shields is curved, this is angular.  That's why I was wondering where this design came from.

The issue seems to have first corrupted saves when she first set foot in Bleak Falls Barrow. (I have a save from just before and just after entering.)  But I'm pretty sure it did not show up in any games until loaded some old saves today to test out some new mods.

In any case the reinstall seems to have fixed the issue.  After first reinstalling she would not put her shield on her back (though all the guards did) but when she went through a loads screen (left Dragonsreach) she did.