Skyrim Realistic Overhaul (by Starac)

z929669

Are you using the 2048 res set that Octopuss linked to? If so, how's that working out in terms of RAM / VRAM use?

I'm just wondering since you've got a 1GB card like myself (as you know already!)

See link in my sig to get an idea of the VRAM hit of the 2k versus optimized. (Definitely use the latter!)

Do not blindly give SRO priority over everything, because there are lots of files identical to vanilla (+hires pack) textures. For some reason they were just copied in the mod. I think Starac even mentioned this somewhere when he still actively visited the forum.

So be warned, you MIGHT be overwriting some new textures from other mods by vanilla stuff.

Not if you use the optimized version ... the redundancies are all removed ... nobody should be using the 2k version for this reason and for performance reasons.

Follow the guide, that is why we recommend it (so does SR:LE BTW)

The torrent is already a mix of 1k and 2k and it is already optimized with the redundant files removed. No one has claimed they are the ones that put it up, but I'm 99% sure it was a STEP staffer that put it up.

Edit: There is a file I uploaded in a post on the AMB Farmhouse thread. It lists all the files that were redundant.

I don't care who made the optimized version mate, I'm doing some testing of my own and going to be doing quite a lot with the optimizations, that I'm sure weren't done the way I'm wanting to do them. I'll look at the aMB thread.

Edit: Apparently Zed and I posted close enough together that the notification didn't have time to reach me, thanks mate will try it out.

And just to note: SRO does not require ANY optimization via DDSopt or any other compression-format change or mipmap adjustment, etc. It is already optimized in these ways.

The only 'optimization' required is with regard to using the best texture sizes for the optimal performance-quality tradeoff. Read the torrent description. That pretty much says what needs to be done. Use max quality with no changes on all indoor-only textures and reduce any outdoor textures that are used frequently to 1k. It is tricky to isolate all the textures that can exist outdoors (e.g., some clutter can kill performance), so that is why we recommend the 'optimal' version.

If anyone wants to improve upon that, go ahead, however, you are not welcome to post it from this forum. We have an agreement with Starac that must be honored, and I have made that plain on this and other threads. The torrent is fine, since it is anonymous and Starac has deferred users to that. Any updates are only available through Starac directly and may not be shared on this site.

Informal warnings will be issued momentarily.

@ moderators
Please help me to eliminate all links to private SRO sources. The only valid links we support on STEP are to the torrents that Starac himself pointed us to (i.e., linked in the guide ... there is also a link to a 2K torrent that we can provide if anyone has it.

Any subsequent violations (i.e., linking publicly to private SRO sources other than the public torrents) should draw formal warnings

can someone PLEASE help, I have been trying to get hold of this, but no luck, I have sourced 5 different varients of the mod on dozens of Torrents, but I have left them running on my torrent client for around three days and they are still on 0% - no joy

Does anyone have Starac's contact details or have a means for me to get hold of the optimal version of Skyrim Realistic Overhaul?

I cannot even set up STEP: Core without it (as its one of the steps), is there an alternative mod I can use in lieu of it if i cannot get the mod itself?

hope to hear frome someone soon.

remember - I have attempted the Torrent route! (and even used internet Time machine in hopes it'd be on the Nexus there - but no luck)

Edited by garyriley1982

I just tried the torrent link from the STEP wiki guide and im getting speeds up to 2MB/s. Its either your connection or for some reason you cannot connect to the peers that offer fast dl rates. Did you try running the setup wizard in utorrent? Also make sure you are not forcing encrypted peering, try disabled encryption with allowed incoming legacy connections.

Try uTorrent and look for the green icon in the bottom right when the download is "active" or otherwise if it's a hazard (triangular yellow sign with !) then you're not able to connect to peers correctly either because you have no open ports, your ISP is blocking torrent connections, or something similar. Let us know if that is the case.

• 11 months later...

I am in the UK and my ISP has blocked access to katproxy apparently due to a high court ruling.

Is there anywhere else I can get the 1k version?  I found the 2k files by searching on google but when I install them and enable the mod in MO my frame rate on the intro sequence wagon ride drops through the floor.  If I disable them the frame rate is fine.

• +1 1

Does your graphic card have 1GB of VRAM or something? The resolution of textures is absolutely irrelevant to framerate unless you overfill the card's memory with too many high resolution textures, at which point you might experience some stuttering. At this time and age I can't imagine a single mod consisting of 2k textures do that unless it's installed on prehistoric PC.

Edited by Octopuss

I am in the UK and my ISP has blocked access to katproxy apparently due to a high court ruling.

Is there anywhere else I can get the 1k version?  I found the 2k files by searching on google but when I install them and enable the mod in MO my frame rate on the intro sequence wagon ride drops through the floor.  If I disable them the frame rate is fine.

Enter this magnet link in your browser, it'll circumvent the censorship:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:6D3211C321E1C68BB1D1D22DF5D49E21FB1BFF1A&dn=skyrim+realistic+overhaul+dg+v1+6+optimal+1k+2k&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fannounce.opensharing.org%3A2710%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337
Edited by CJ2311
  • +1 1