Skyrim Realistic Overhaul (by Starac)

z929669

So, all in all, a possible black face every now and then (if that) is worth it for the results I am seeing in game. If I started crashing, I'd reconsider, of course. With Mod Organizer it's a simple matter of checking/unchecking some boxes.

Good to know, thanks.

Do not blindly give SRO priority over everything, because there are lots of files identical to vanilla (+hires pack) textures. For some reason they were just copied in the mod. I think Starac even mentioned this somewhere when he still actively visited the forum.

So be warned, you MIGHT be overwriting some new textures from other mods by vanilla stuff.

Edited by Octopuss

I can't tell for sure, but with some of the files in 2048k package being 4 or so times bigger, there surely has to be a difference?

Also, I blindly checked a few of the seemingly identical files to the vanilla hires textures, and noticed some slight colour differences. For example, HiRes optimized textures 2texturesarchitecturefalmer hutfalmerhut.dds - this one has weird green-yellow tint to it, but the same file in SRO (the 2048 version) looks fine.

Edited by Octopuss

The optimized one that is linked has been DDSOpted from 2K to 1K so if you know how DDSOpt works...no, no visual differences between the 2K and 1K optimized textures. As for some of the "seeming identical" files, well I never examined them. I know who did the work on the optimized version of the mod and trust them and their work to be top notch.

I decided to try to do something useful, so I grabbed the 2048k package and compared it to the optimized one linked in the wiki, and also vs hires textures.
I deleted all redundant textures I could find and repacked it back with Dawnguard textures included.
Download it here (roughly 3,3GB 7z archive).

I also found two interesting things, which were probably overlooked (or decided as not needed) by whoever created the optimized package:
1) there is an alternative texture (and its normal) for Whiterun city wall:  It looks exactly like vanilla, but it's 2048k in size and looks just as superb as the rest of SRO.
regular SRO on the left, alternative vanilla texture in SRO quality on the right:
Posted Image-Posted Image

2) There is a weird extra normal texture in roads folder: edited out, unimportant

Anyway, I hope someone will find this useful.

Edited by Octopuss

No, I only removed the redundant files. Nothing else.

I also remember Starac once said there was nothing to optimize about his textures because they were done in some way - I can't remember the details. Of course, this is obviously a matter of personal preferences and there's always something you can do with them.

Edited by Octopuss

• 2 weeks later...