Book Covers Skyrim (by DanielCoffey and doccdr)

dstansberry

Problem solved...

The CK told be the books were 2.0 units wide (which is not an issue with the vanilla bookshelves as the books are placed in a fixed slot) but the Bookshelves script causes books to overlap.

Making them 3.0 wide means that the Bookshelves script squeezes 29 per shelf (there is actually only room for 27) so a few will stick together occasionally and taking a couple off the shelf means they sit nicely.

If I make them 4.0 wide, I only get 22 books on the shelf and there are gaps but they never stick to each other.

It appears that the *actual* width of a small book is "three and a bit" but I have to use integers.

Once I have checked the actual width of the large books, I will make the change to Book Covers Skyrim and push out an update.

I have updated Book Covers Skyrim and set the width of the standard books at 3.0. The effect is to give 29 books per shelf when using Bookshelves Updated Script SKSE (although it is a tight squeeze - two books can safely be removed to allow them to relax).

Posted Image

There is still the issue of the standard books floating above the shelf but even the author of the Bookshelves script agrees there is not much we can do about that. Viewed from above it is not too bad...

Posted Image

• +1 2

• 3 weeks later...

For the vanilla books I go to the qasmoke cell with the coc command. The large majority of the books are in the chests in there. You can just help yourself. You can end up with scenes like this...

Posted Image

For the Lost Library mod I have created a set of chests so once that is released, you would be able to open the console, type Help "Daggerfall Books" and make a note of the relevant ObjectID. A quick player.placeatme ObjectID 1 would then drop a chest at your feet with all the Daggerfall books. There will be corresponding chests for the Morrowind and Oblivion books too.

Edited by DanielCoffey

If you didn't mind manually spreading them out or possibly crashing the game from overload you could make a txt file with all of the additem commands for the books (say by using skyrimsearch) and then use the bat console command to load the txt file.

I just went through the nexus page and the screenshots. I had no clue a book mod could be so comprehensive. 450MB?!?! O.o

I'll probably have some time to test these later on. I like both versions though. The desaturated stuff is nice for some some older books and the regular version seems appropriate for other stuff, like recently written journals or books.

At the very least STEP should consider the optional paper files. I like that coloration.

I'm only doing every fifth book starting with numbers or the letter 'A':

STEP->BCS->BCS Desat

16 Accords of Madness, vIX

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

16 Accords spine

2929, Frostfall, v10

Frostfall spine

2920, Rain's Hand, v4

Rain's Hand spine

A Children's Anuad

A Children's Anuad spine

STEP->BCS->BCS Desat

A Dance in Fire, v5

Fire spine

A Gentlemen's Guide to Whiterun

Whiterun Guide spine

Adventure's Journal

Agrius's Journal (I think that is a misspelling that needs to be reported to the USKP folks)

Alchemist's Journal

Alva's Journal

STEP->BCS->BCS Desat

An Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

Explorer's Spine

Annals of the Dragonguard

Dragonguard Spine

Argonian Account, Book 1

Argonian Spine

Arondil's Journal, Part I

Okay that's enough for tonight, if I tried to do a lot more I'm afraid I'd turn into a librarian. And, those people are weird.

This mod is at the borderline of what we would let in for STEP Extended. It really does make that books look awesome though, man the vanilla books are just so terrible. I'll do more tomorrow, probably every tenth book since now I have an idea of just how many there are in this mod.

Really fantastic work, and great screenshot comparison. I really like the idea of desaturated version for the older works and regular for the more modern, great suggestion. I bet a STEP specific version, or FOMOD option that sorted the sat/desat choices would be much appreciated (certainly by me).

Daniel, you've probably answered before but ever thought of doing spell tomes? With all these nice books around they stand out as dull IMO. :)I realize there are some mods out there already but not nearly the quality.

The problem with the spell books is compatibility as I have to edit both the STATIC and BOOK records which would mean that every mod that ever changed or added any spell would have to have a BCS patch. The simplest solution would b e a mesh and texture replacer since you can't keep the spell books for display and there are not that many covers and I believe there are one or two of those on the Nexus already.

Really fantastic work, and great screenshot comparison. I really like the idea of desaturated version for the older works and regular for the more modern, great suggestion. I bet a STEP specific version, or FOMOD option that sorted the sat/desat choices would be much appreciated (certainly by me).

There are 426 book covers and 120 Journals to choose from and they all look totally different depending on which ENB the individual player uses. As a general rule of thumb, I intended the Desaturated version to be used with "hot" ENBs that boost the saturation and the Original for "muted" ENBs or no ENB at all. There are also plenty of folks who prefer the Desaturated for the aged appearance it gives the  books and this version is downloaded 2:1 over the Original textures.

Edited by DanielCoffey
  • +1 1

The problem with the spell books is compatibility as I have to edit both the STATIC and BOOK records which would mean that every mod that ever changed or added any spell would have to have a BCS patch. The simplest solution would b e a mesh and texture replacer since you can't keep the spell books for display and there are not that many covers and I believe there are one or two of those on the Nexus already.

There are 426 book covers and 120 Journals to choose from and they all look totally different depending on which ENB the individual player uses. As a general rule of thumb, I intended the Desaturated version to be used with "hot" ENBs that boost the saturation and the Original for "muted" ENBs or no ENB at all. There are also plenty of folks who prefer the Desaturated for the aged appearance it gives the  books and this version is downloaded 2:1 over the Original textures.

Sounds like someone would like it the Bashed Patch finally got some much needed attention. Graphics, Scripts tags anyone?