Book Covers Skyrim (by DanielCoffey and doccdr)

dstansberry

Done.

And whatever happened to a decision on this mod? I think it would be worth revisit and make new compares. Which I can volunteer to do :)

Are compares really needed for this though? There's no other mod that does this, and vanilla books all have the same 5 ugly textures.

Done.

And whatever happened to a decision on this mod? I think it would be worth revisit and make new compares. Which I can volunteer to do :)

Are compares really needed for this though? There's no other mod that does this, and vanilla books all have the same 5 ugly textures.
Probably not. If you're referring to what I said above, only the optional textures for pages would have to be compared against hq paper but the covers dont need to be. 

One other bit of good news regarding Book Covers Skyrim is that I consider the mod functionally complete now.

Barring hotfixes, I have done practically everything to it that I wanted to or can do within the constraints of Free Stock from the internet. Folks have asked for higher resolution textures and while I would love to do 2048x1024 Books and Journals, I simply cannot find enough stock to make it possible. The Oblivion Book Covers that were brought into the mod were only at 1024x512 so would also have to be reconstructed from scratch.

My next focus for Books in Skyrim will be covers for the Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion books that never made it into Skyrim. I am planning an Optional mod with no prerequisites or dependencies that will cover the titles that the Tamriel Compendium does and possibly some of the Books Books Books extra material if I can find the original source in the wiki.

I will not be reusing the Nexus material in either of those mods because what I intend to produce will effectively render them redundant and I do not consider it fair to an author to ask for permission to use prior work from the Nexus knowing that I will be completely replacing their mod.

My timescale for this project is fairly long and it will sit alongside Book Covers Skyrim as a separate mod.

EDIT : I should add that Xathra has an excellent and up to date SkyRe patch for the Book Covers mod. I know I have made one available in my Compatibility Patch Collection but Xathra's work is superb.

My next focus for Books in Skyrim will be covers for the Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion books that never made it into Skyrim. I am planning an Optional mod with no prerequisites or dependencies that will cover the titles that the Tamriel Compendium does and possibly some of the Books Books Books extra material if I can find the original source in the wiki.

That sounds like a great addition.

I don't think books are large enough to justify 2k textures.

It would have only been for the Inventory view where you can see some stretching at higher resolutions such as 1440p.

The World views are 1024x512 texture and 512z256 normals. I agree these are completely appropriate for their use. The Inventory texture is also 1024x512 with a 1024x512 normal. I would have preferred a larger texture for that view but it was just not feasible since there are 420 books and about 120 journals.

If it would save you considerable time and work, then I would ask permission from the other authors to include their work (with credit, of course). They are perfectly within their rights to say 'no', in which case you can just go back to your original plan to compile the material yourself. In my experience, many authors really don't mind having their work used in other mods, and they might actually appreciate that their work is valued enough to be used elsewhere.

I know how you feel though. I've also hesitated to ask permission to include another modder's work when the mod I was making would completely replace theirs. But look at it this way, when you finish your mod, it will make their mods redundant regardless of whether you use their work or redo the work yourself from scratch. If they do end up giving you permission, then at least they can get credit and recognition for their work, and they can have the satisfaction of knowing their work is appreciated and being used in another mod. Not to mention that you get to save yourself some time and headache. Personally, I see this as a win-win. Not all modders will agree, of course, but in general, I think it's at least worth asking.

I'm looking forward to the expansion. :)

My next focus for Books in Skyrim will be covers for the Daggerfall' date=' Morrowind and Oblivion books that never made it into Skyrim. I am planning an Optional mod with no prerequisites or dependencies that will cover the titles that the Tamriel Compendium does and possibly some of the Books Books Books extra material if I can find the original source in the wiki.

Xathra has an excellent and up to date SkyRe patch for the Book Covers mod.

Cool. I was looking for that mod and those patches since I switched from my old Nexus account to the new one I use now, thanks.