v2.2.0 - Feedback & Bug Reports

z929669

The first thing I saw what really can't convince me to immerse in to the world is clothing and armor contrasts. They really look too dark to me. What do you think?

too-dark-armor.jpg

too-dark-clothes.jpg

But when it's in the inn, it looks good. Maybe the clothing and armor don't respond properly to some weather conditions? They kind of won't reflect that foggy atmosphere outside in the upper pictures.

contrast-is-good-in-the-inn.jpg

And in the sun looks good.

looks-good-in-the-sun.jpg

Edited by tadastalalas

On 7/30/2023 at 11:51 PM, Gotuso said:

Going to try those 3 mods instead. Thus far, Splashes of Storms works quite well.

On an unrelated note; I went through the whole guide, fixed a few bugs and now noticed the following mountain texture. Is this normal or am I correct in thinking theres something going on here? Its not a LOD issue, the mountain looks that way up close as well.

Weird Mountain.jpg

Same for me as well.

same-for-me.jpg

2 hours ago, tadastalalas said:

The first thing I saw what really can't convince me to immerse in to the world is clothing and armor contrasts. They really look too dark to me. What do you think?

too-dark-armor.jpg

too-dark-clothes.jpg

But when it's in the inn, it looks good. Maybe the clothing and armor don't respond properly to some weather conditions? They kind of won't reflect that foggy atmosphere outside in the upper pictures.

contrast-is-good-in-the-inn.jpg

And in the sun looks good.

looks-good-in-the-sun.jpg

It's because the skin i soooo pale on those characters. Quite unnatural looking. Even the daylight shot has too much contrast between char skin and clothing/armor. Are you using any character mods aside from what is included in the guide? If not, are you using an ENB other than Step's?

2 hours ago, tadastalalas said:

Same for me as well.

same-for-me.jpg

This is worthy of posting on the DynDOLOD topic. Just by the tiling effect, it looks like terrain textures.

8 hours ago, z929669 said:

It's because the skin i soooo pale on those characters. Quite unnatural looking. Even the daylight shot has too much contrast between char skin and clothing/armor. Are you using any character mods aside from what is included in the guide? If not, are you using an ENB other than Step's?

Thanks for the answer, yeah I was thinking the same that skin is tooo pale. I'm using no deviation from the guide, my setup is clean step 2.2.0 + those 3 new weather mods for testing and also no ENB. My graphics card is too old I think for any ENB (GTX 970M).

clean-step-guide.jpg

12 hours ago, tadastalalas said:

I experienced this in older step guide versions as well. I have a feeling that this should be addressed by USSEP maybe? Not sure.

Nope. Follower infighting due to friendly fire is a "feature", not a bug. In my experience it's more likely to occur when a follower's summons is present in the party. Like in your example. In your screenshot you can see Lydia is attacking Esbern's Sanctified Wraith, supposedly after being hit by it, and Esbern is defending his Wraith (by attacking Lydia).

Poor man's solution: tell Lydia to wait at the entrance, while Delphine, Esbern and you clear the path :)

• Thanks 1

Found a bug with those stolen items. I stole some items from Jarl Balgruf from his quarters, few Gold Ingots and Gold Ores. I dropped them on the ground in my Goldenhills Plantation inside the house, later I took (stole them from the gound while the dauhter was not around to report me) them to my stash just outside the house. To my surprise after a couple of days of adventuring I came back and all those stashed items were again on the ground. Man I swore I took them before.

stolen-items-reappeared-first-time.thumb.jpg.dac5cf53edd89c680a5193641d647fd9.jpg

So I tested it.

I took them again and put in the same stash just outside the house.

stolen-items-stashed-first-time.thumb.jpg.7bf3b6238a848d2ddf2eea6f9f322c3a.jpg

I waited 5 days - no difference, I went for some adventuring, came back a couple of days later and here they are again duplicated on the ground.

stolen-items-reappeared-second-time.thumb.jpg.6d18753d68db5fcc53c8390916099d05.jpg

I stashed them again and it seems like I found a gold mine. :)

stolen-items-stashed-second-time.thumb.jpg.9da3bea7842fd9eb33d35943cb8c79af.jpg

After I finished with this post and came back to the house, the items spawned again, I went to craft few things and they spawned again, I went to speak with Paarthunax and they spawned again, so it's just random timing and I don't know the reason at all...

Edited by tadastalalas

6 hours ago, tadastalalas said:

Found a bug with those stolen items. I stole some items from Jarl Balgruf from his quarters, few Gold Ingots and Gold Ores. I dropped them on the ground in my Goldenhills Plantation inside the house, later I took (stole them from the gound while the dauhter was not around to report me) them to my stash just outside the house. To my surprise after a couple of days of adventuring I came back and all those stashed items were again on the ground. Man I swore I took them before.

stolen-items-reappeared-first-time.thumb.jpg.dac5cf53edd89c680a5193641d647fd9.jpg

So I tested it.

I took them again and put in the same stash just outside the house.

stolen-items-stashed-first-time.thumb.jpg.7bf3b6238a848d2ddf2eea6f9f322c3a.jpg

I waited 5 days - no difference, I went for some adventuring, came back a couple of days later and here they are again duplicated on the ground.

stolen-items-reappeared-second-time.thumb.jpg.6d18753d68db5fcc53c8390916099d05.jpg

I stashed them again and it seems like I found a gold mine. :)

stolen-items-stashed-second-time.thumb.jpg.9da3bea7842fd9eb33d35943cb8c79af.jpg

After I finished with this post and came back to the house, the items spawned again, I went to craft few things and they spawned again, I went to speak with Paarthunax and they spawned again, so it's just random timing and I don't know the reason at all...

Sounds more like a game engine bug rather than a bug with the guide.

15 hours ago, tadastalalas said:

so it's just random timing and I don't know the reason at all...

Yes it's strange indeed. If you had a follower pick up those items off the ground, you may have unknowingly triggered the item duplication glitch. Demonstration video on YouTube: Skyrim Duplication glitch Any Item!. See also Droped items has been respawn [sic].

See if you can make them disappear by waiting 10 days for the cell to reset. Do not enter the room where the items are dropped for at least 10 days. This may have no effect if Goldenhills Plantation is configured to never reset.

• 3 weeks later...

I came across a little problem while following the guide that I managed to solve myself, but is not mentioned in the guide as far as I can tell. (unless I'm literally blind)

I have a 2k monitor and have configured Windows accordingly. However, because I don't particularly like how small everything is at that resolution, I am using Windows' own scaling feature.

image.thumb.png.97e476e88084449a3cc923046e05b8c4.png

When configuring BethINI, I set the resolution in the basic tab to my monitor's resolution (2560 x 1440) as the guide stated. Later, when I opened Skyrim for the smoke test in step 2, the game ended up bleeding into my second monitor. Seems to me like Skyrim can't deal with this scaling feature properly.

Setting the resolution in BethINI to 1920 x 1080 or setting the scaling back to the default (100%) both seemed to work in order to fix this. I chose the latter option.

It might be worth mentioning this in the BethINI section of the guide.

18 minutes ago, uncheckedcookie said:

I came across a little problem while following the guide that I managed to solve myself, but is not mentioned in the guide as far as I can tell. (unless I'm literally blind)

I have a 2k monitor and have configured Windows accordingly. However, because I don't particularly like how small everything is at that resolution, I am using Windows' own scaling feature.

image.thumb.png.97e476e88084449a3cc923046e05b8c4.png

When configuring BethINI, I set the resolution in the basic tab to my monitor's resolution (2560 x 1440) as the guide stated. Later, when I opened Skyrim for the smoke test in step 2, the game ended up bleeding into my second monitor. Seems to me like Skyrim can't deal with this scaling feature properly.

Setting the resolution in BethINI to 1920 x 1080 or setting the scaling back to the default (100%) both seemed to work in order to fix this. I chose the latter option.

It might be worth mentioning this in the BethINI section of the guide.

We don't mention Windows scaling for the same reason we don't mention hundreds of other random things that are not predictable ... too many instructions and even more problems with people RTFM. We try hard to minimize instructions, and it's widely recommended to use default Windows scaling. That's for 2D applications anyway, AFAIK, and used by people with visual impairment most commonly.

PS: I've seen altered Windows scaling cause all kinds of issues with certain applications, causing lots of IT headaches chasing wild geese :) I also run 2560 x 1440 natively on a 32" QHD monitor and use that both in Windows and gaming at native scaling. I'm kinda old, I require readers now for the past 5 years, and I prefer the native scaling myself.

2 hours ago, Mousetick said:

In case you miss it: 

I wouldn't consider this a bug so much as an opportunity for improvement that requires testing to ensure it all works as expected on our build. 

Testing of mipmaps is something I want to do with a mipmapped multicolor texture before I make a change. Probably can use one from my Mushroom mod. 

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

I wouldn't consider this a bug so much as an opportunity for improvement that requires testing to ensure it all works as expected on our build. 

Who said it was a bug? Nobody. This is the Feedback and Bug Reports topic.

If the guide's goal is to educate and serve as a "best in class" modding reference to STEP users and potentially to the community at large, but it provides incorrect, wasteful advice, it's a problem. Not a critical issue, though, I agree.

1 hour ago, DoubleYou said:

Testing of mipmaps is something I want to do with a mipmapped multicolor texture before I make a change. Probably can use one from my Mushroom mod. 

I'm not following. Terrain LOD textures are generated from scratch by xLODGen from the full landscape textures. Nothing else uses the terrain LOD textures beside the terrain LOD meshes. How does it matter if the landscape textures are mipmapped or not? That has no bearing on whether the terrain LOD textures should/shouldn't have mipmaps, or whether the game uses them.