v2.2.0 - Feedback & Bug Reports

z929669

Hi guys.
I have a strange situation here.

I'm in the ENBSeries part of the post-processing guide.

Installed everything as described.
d3d11.dll and d3dcompiler_46e.dll and STEP Heavy ENB + recommended endlocal.ini
Then I re-run the benchmark as mentioned in the guide.
Everything was OK.
FPS was acceptable, but around the Rift it sometimes got close to ~70. So, I went to try the light version, just for comparison.
Removed all files from the Heavy and extracted the contents from the Light version.

But now when I try to run the game, I get the message: "Unable to find the SKSE log directory".

And it doesn't matter which ENB I try, the result is just the same...

But here's what's weird: Without the ENB files, the game runs just fine.

Maybe I accidentally deleted something, although I highly doubt it.
And the folder with the log files is located in the Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SKSE directory.

Stuck with this problem for a few days.
I would appreciate any help, or maybe if you have any guesses.

SKSE logs directory.png

Edited by Dova

10 hours ago, Dova said:

Hi guys.
I have a strange situation here.

I'm in the ENBSeries part of the post-processing guide.

Installed everything as described.
d3d11.dll and d3dcompiler_46e.dll and STEP Heavy ENB + recommended endlocal.ini
Then I re-run the benchmark as mentioned in the guide.
Everything was OK.
FPS was acceptable, but around the Rift it sometimes got close to ~70. So, I went to try the light version, just for comparison.
Removed all files from the Heavy and extracted the contents from the Light version.

But now when I try to run the game, I get the message: "Unable to find the SKSE log directory".

And it doesn't matter which ENB I try, the result is just the same...

But here's what's weird: Without the ENB files, the game runs just fine.

Maybe I accidentally deleted something, although I highly doubt it.
And the folder with the log files is located in the Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SKSE directory.

Stuck with this problem for a few days.
I would appreciate any help, or maybe if you have any guesses.

SKSE logs directory.png

It's not clear exactly what files you changed for ENB or where you made the changes. ENB is manually installed in the actual game directory, and the binaries (DLLs) do not need to be changed. Only the preset files/folders need to be swapped (technically, only enbseries.ini is different among the presets).

Just swapping this one file in your game directory shouldn't cause this issue.

This is a DynDOLOD DLL error and has nothing to do with your ENB. Removing ENB files from the game directory should not fix this error.

You have made other changes that we cannot know. It seems like you borked your SKSE or DynDOLOD DLL/Resources installation. Revisit the Extenders guide instructions to make corrections.

Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask for help. I am a super noob and have followed the STEP guide religiously up to the performance tuning section where the game crashes before even reaching the title screen. The dragon logo appears, progress bar fills, then CTD. Sorted and cleaned everything with LOOT, have some red messages like plugins missing but I believe that is resolved by the STEP Patch? I can't seem to find a crash log or anything either so I really have no idea where to start. Thanks for any help you can provide.

43 minutes ago, jskrub said:

Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask for help. I am a super noob and have followed the STEP guide religiously up to the performance tuning section where the game crashes before even reaching the title screen. The dragon logo appears, progress bar fills, then CTD. Sorted and cleaned everything with LOOT, have some red messages like plugins missing but I believe that is resolved by the STEP Patch? I can't seem to find a crash log or anything either so I really have no idea where to start. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Did your smoke test pass previously?

Are you strictly following the guide without any deviation like adding mods not in the list or skipping others?

If the answer is 'yes' to both questions, then you missed an instruction somewhere. Most likely, you downloaded the wrong version of a mod or forgot to hide a plugin or not all installed plugins are enabled. There's too many possibilities to provide anything more specific without more detail.

2 hours ago, jskrub said:

The red comment is incorrect. The game will always CTD if you are missing required plugins.

On 4/17/2023 at 4:30 PM, z929669 said:

Did your smoke test pass previously?

Are you strictly following the guide without any deviation like adding mods not in the list or skipping others?

If the answer is 'yes' to both questions, then you missed an instruction somewhere. Most likely, you downloaded the wrong version of a mod or forgot to hide a plugin or not all installed plugins are enabled. There's too many possibilities to provide anything more specific without more detail.

On 4/17/2023 at 6:26 PM, DoubleYou said:

The red comment is incorrect. The game will always CTD if you are missing required plugins.

Thank you all for your help, I addressed each of the red error messages in LOOT by enabling some plugins and it works fine now. I tried to be very careful in following the guide exactly, but somehow, some things were disabled that the game would not start without me enabling! Noob moment I'm sure. Thank you both for your patience.

• Like 1

Hi. I want report that if I untick `Reflect Sky` via BETHini - details tab/water settings as per STEP guide then this problem occurs

With`Reflect Sky` being disabled this bug only occurs ingame with ENB preset + RWT (in my case its Rudy`s ENB). If you disable ENB preset (or water effects in enb menu) then problem is fixed. If you disable RWT (only vanilla water) but leave ENB preset enabled with water effects ON then its also fixed. But ENB preset + RWT + `Reflect Sky` disabled leads to this bug. Tested on Skyrim 1.6.353 steam and GOG 1.6.659 fresh install and save with only RWT + Rudy`s ENB preset. Im using Rudy`s ENB but IMO its not releted to his preset. Had the same bug with other presets too.

59 minutes ago, xbk123 said:

Hi. I want report that if I untick `Reflect Sky` via BETHini - details tab/water settings as per STEP guide then this problem occurs

With`Reflect Sky` being disabled this bug only occurs ingame with ENB preset + RWT (in my case its Rudy`s ENB). If you disable ENB preset (or water effects in enb menu) then problem is fixed. If you disable RWT (only vanilla water) but leave ENB preset enabled with water effects ON then its also fixed. But ENB preset + RWT + `Reflect Sky` disabled leads to this bug. Tested on Skyrim 1.6.353 steam and GOG 1.6.659 fresh install and save with only RWT + Rudy`s ENB preset. Im using Rudy`s ENB but IMO its not releted to his preset. Had the same bug with other presets too.

This sounds like an issue either with ENB or RWT or both in concert. I suspect it's an ENB issue for Boris to examine. I would message both authors and link them to this post for comment.

6 hours ago, xbk123 said:

How recently did you download ENB? Boris frequently updates it without changing the version, try redownloading/reinstalling if it was not in the last couple of days. I check this page to monitor when he changes something: http://enbdev.com/news.html

Edited by druisiuil
Forgot to quote xbk123

Its with the latest enb binaries. 

Additional video - fresh install of Skyrim GOG, only RWT+Rudy`s ENB.

Easiest way to check - install RWT + Some ENB preset like Rudy or Re-Engaged, disable `Reflect Sky` - under water settings, detail tab in BETHini and go to Morthal to check like in the video. Check video till the end, it looks like it happens only when you load into this area/cell? Im no expert with this. BTW, if somebody has this bug you can solve it be re-enabling `reflect sky` via BETHini. I spend like 3 days and will not pursue this issue any longer :D Not sure what exactly is causing it and dont want to post any misleading information. And by `bug` I mean those ripples spreading sideways in front of you instead behind you.

Edited by xbk123

Hi,

thanks for putting this guide together, it is awesome!

I recently finished my install and have a few problems to resolve before I can start to play:

1. Some of the snow textures on mountains are completley white (blank) and it looks like something is missing (buggy).
  2. I had some problems with a greyed out HD grass option and grass errors in Dyndolod - although I have grass cache fixes and ENB options installed and followed the guide exactly. I made the Dyndolod generation process work by setting forceComplexGrass to 2 and extracting the crass cache fixes BSA. However, ingame with Dyndolod active I now have zero grass (before Dyndolod it was there).
  3. SKSE is frequently not starting via MO2, it just drops back to MO2 interface without any errors or error logs. After some time or a reboot, it works flawlessly for once. That problem is random and really annoying. I always had the same thing, even 5 years ago when I installed an older guide on a different PC. Maybe this is related to some Windows Exploit Protection settings like ALSR?

If you have any input on how I can debug these issues, please be my guest.

Cheers!

Edited by stinkyargor

4 hours ago, stinkyargor said:

Hi,

thanks for putting this guide together, it is awesome!

I recently finished my install and have a few problems to resolve before I can start to play:

1. Some of the snow textures on mountains are completley white (blank) and it looks like something is missing (buggy).
  2. I had some problems with a greyed out HD grass option and grass errors in Dyndolod - although I have grass cache fixes and ENB options installed and followed the guide exactly. I made the Dyndolod generation process work by setting forceComplexGrass to 2 and extracting the crass cache fixes BSA. However, ingame with Dyndolod active I now have zero grass (before Dyndolod it was there).
  3. SKSE is frequently not starting via MO2, it just drops back to MO2 interface without any errors or error logs. After some time or a reboot, it works flawlessly for once. That problem is random and really annoying. I always had the same thing, even 5 years ago when I installed an older guide on a different PC. Maybe this is related to some Windows Exploit Protection settings like ALSR?

If you have any input on how I can debug these issues, please be my guest.

Cheers!

There's really too much happening here to provide specific guidance other than do not unpack any BSAs or make changes to settings other than what's instructed in the guide.

Revisit the guide/instructions/setup guide is all I can say.

you obviously need to download and install "Step Grass" from the Nexus mod page.