v2.2.0 - Feedback & Bug Reports

z929669

11 hours ago, Eccelestis said:

I'm trying to run benchmarking tests for my Skyrim AE game after getting to that point in the guide, but after changing my BethINI settings according to the directions, my game keeps crashing within a minute of loading. Please help!

Did you test prior to changing the BethINI settings from the original recommendations earlier in the guide?

If so, and you had no issues before updating BethINI, please describe exactly what you changed.

Also provide your logs generated at the time of the crash: %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FendisKhan said:

It appears that Mesh Patch for Various Mods (in 06-Models and Textures) has been updated and now include two new options not described in the detailed instructions. In particular, there is an option for Unofficial Skyrim Creation Club Content Patch (USCCCP) and another for Merged CC Misc Patches (CC Misc Patches).

That mod hasn't been updated in years. Just follow the instructions, and you're good.

6 hours ago, FendisKhan said:

In the detailed instructions for LeanWolfs Better-Shaped Weapons SE (in 06-Models and Textures), we are told to "Ignore Dawnbreaker ENB option, since ENB Light will provide the ENB version" when using 21-Post-Processing. Does "Ignore " mean to select "Dawnbreaker No ENB" (the option ticked in the guide) or to select "None"?

It's just a note explaining why the same installation instructions apply to ENB and non-ENB users.

Good evening!

I'm following instructions on the guide with a fresh Skyrim SE install with the AE DLC newly purchased, and I've found that when I clean the vanilla masters as instructed, no backup is autosaved.

For reference, the specific spot in question is here:

image.thumb.png.274ca78ba6e11944e7f0a4504e35460e.png

What should I do next? I've gone back through all steps before this point a second time.

I posted it here in case it's a part of the guide that you feel should be changed - in trying to ask about this on some discord servers, various persons implied this section might not be required anymore.

Edited by EarlRatliff1
Left a sentence out

32 minutes ago, EarlRatliff1 said:

Good evening!

I'm following instructions on the guide with a fresh Skyrim SE install with the AE DLC newly purchased, and I've found that when I clean the vanilla masters as instructed, no backup is autosaved.

For reference, the specific spot in question is here:

image.thumb.png.274ca78ba6e11944e7f0a4504e35460e.png

What should I do next? I've gone back through all steps before this point a second time.

I posted it here in case it's a part of the guide that you feel should be changed - in trying to ask about this on some discord servers, various persons implied this section might not be required anymore.

You must be certain that this option is ticked when you click 'X' to quit:

image.png

Otherwise, type Ctrl+s to save.

Also be sure you check Overwrite if you didn't follow the Tools instructions

7 hours ago, EarlRatliff1 said:

You can ignore the sentence about the creation of a backup, as no backup is created in that case. That sentence appears to be a leftover from older documentation using a manual cleaning procedure.

6 hours ago, z929669 said:

You must be certain that this option is ticked when you click 'X' to quit:

This doesn't apply to QuickAutoClean. xEdit automatically saves the plugin without creating a backup, there is no 'Save' UI presented to the user when closing the QuickAutoClean window.

The reference to the backup should be removed:

5. Once xEdit is finished, click [X] at upper right to close. A backup of the original plugin will automatically be saved into (e.g., ..\xEdit Output\SSEEdit Backups\PluginName.es*.DateTime) inside of xEdit Output mod (or in Overwrite at the bottom of the MO mod list (left) pane if previous instructions were NOT followed!).

4 hours ago, Mousetick said:

You can ignore the sentence about the creation of a backup, as no backup is created in that case. That sentence appears to be a leftover from older documentation using a manual cleaning procedure.

This doesn't apply to QuickAutoClean. xEdit automatically saves the plugin without creating a backup, there is no 'Save' UI presented to the user when closing the QuickAutoClean window.

The reference to the backup should be removed:

It's been about a year since I last use QuickAutoClean on the 44+ plugins that need it in our lineup according to LOOT, and I honestly don't recall the details. I could've sworn that backups were created then, as I don't recall using Steam to sync back the originals after saving out the modified plugins into a mod.

59 minutes ago, z929669 said:

It's been about a year since I last use QuickAutoClean on the 44+ plugins that need it in our lineup according to LOOT, and I honestly don't recall the details. I could've sworn that backups were created then, as I don't recall using Steam to sync back the originals after saving out the modified plugins into a mod.

I tried a few things. What's happening is that QuickAutoClean uses the DontBackup setting, its value being set before using QuickAutoClean, from the last regular (i.e. non-QuickAutoClean) xEdit session. There is no UI to save with QuickAutoClean so there is no opportunity to toggle it at that point.

I was incorrect to assume backups are never created. The correct answer is: "It depends" based on previous xEdit usage.

Previous xEdit usage is unknown by the guide, so I don't think it should expect DontBackup has the desired value, without specific instructions to that effect.

Even if users followed the System Setup Guide to the letter and reinstalled xEdit from scratch, they may still have an existing %LOCALAPPDATA%\Skyrim Special Edition\Plugins.sseviewsettings already configured from previous installations and usage.

34 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

I tried a few things. What's happening is that QuickAutoClean uses the DontBackup setting, its value being set before using QuickAutoClean, from the last regular (i.e. non-QuickAutoClean) xEdit session. There is no UI to save with QuickAutoClean so there is no opportunity to toggle it at that point.

I was incorrect to assume backups are never created. The correct answer is: "It depends" based on previous xEdit usage.

Previous xEdit usage is unknown by the guide, so I don't think it should expect DontBackup has the desired value, without specific instructions to that effect.

Even if users followed the System Setup Guide to the letter and reinstalled xEdit from scratch, they may still have an existing %LOCALAPPDATA%\Skyrim Special Edition\Plugins.sseviewsettings already configured from previous installations and usage.

Yes, that's probably the issue. Since those of us that have been using these tools for years have %LOCALAPPDATA%\Skyrim Special Edition\Plugins.sseviewsettings, all of our xEdit-based tools use this config (xLODGen, DynDOLOD, QuickAutoClean, etc), so testing the "new configuration" experience is quite tedious and disruptive to all the working parts on my system without a VM or the like.

I can certainly remove those instructions, but then the question is how to instruct people to preserve (or reacquire) the vanilla files to keep Steam happy. I think there are two different instruction sets to accomplish that, based on the xEdit env.

1 minute ago, z929669 said:

but then the question is how to instruct people to preserve (or reacquire) the vanilla files to keep Steam happy.

The instructions are already there in the guide:

5.2.3 Restore the Original Vanilla Masters

Using Steam's Verify Integrity of Game Files. It's really simple, and there is no risk of losing anything, since at that point the guide, the game folder should be freshly installed and pristine. Nothing has been manually installed in that folder (SKSE, ENB), yet. I'm not even sure if Steam removes files that are manually added to a game folder.

I'd suggest removing the manual procedure that follows, which relies on the xEdit backups.

For those that don't want to do this for whatever reason, the manual process is described:

[...]

Or at least not scolding the users for not following instructions:

If the backed-up vanilla plugins are not present, then backups were disabled by unticking Backup plugins in a previous xEdit session, contrary to previous instructions.

They had no opportunity given by QuickAutoClean to tick or untick the option :)

• Like 1