v2.2.0 - Feedback & Bug Reports

z929669

Hello all and thank you for this guide. I've followed it and played about 20 hours so far. I've had a lot of fun and this was my first modding experience. I'm looking forward to learning more and going further into this world.

I want to understand compatibility patches. At the moment, when I run loot, there are a few mods that are talking about them, such as:

image.thumb.png.9cdc2e70c8b8d0037a91482b97cb2703.pngimage.thumb.png.f0cf8e9a65ef6012657b45f6e663bfd2.pngimage.thumb.png.3533f23093cffe2fcacff67d7ed7c482.pngimage.thumb.png.e54d5ff52cf7489be3e445211c897529.pngimage.thumb.png.6ebe1a5a814752933d327a5a5ae7ea8d.pngimage.thumb.png.a7359c46d05eb41cf78d99d02834b233.pngimage.thumb.png.24756931f97cad9f157d5ff5f19de4ca.pngimage.thumb.png.69f240d208ad80f1537a9d52a0739d92.png

• Landscape and Water Fixes & Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul
  • Unlimited Bookshelves & SSSEdit
  • Audio Overhaul Skyrim & Enhanced Blood Textures
  • Book Covers Skyrim & The Choice is Yours
  • Relationship Dialogue Overhaul & AI overhaul
  • Cutting Room Floor & AI Overhaul
  • Cutting Room Floor & The Choice is Yours
  • imp_helm_legend & Weapons Armor Clothing and Clutter fixes
  • Realistic Water Two & Myrwatch(creation club)

I know this guide is very thorough, and for that reason, and just the nature of the mods I listed out, it seems like the compatibility is unnecessary or just has a very small effect? However, at least for the last 4 I listed, wouldn't I want the imp legend helm to have the fix? Or the Cut content from The Choice is Yours work correctly?

What are compatibility patches exactly? It seems like they are often made by people other than the mod creators. Can I trust them?

2 hours ago, asas said:

Hello all and thank you for this guide. I've followed it and played about 20 hours so far. I've had a lot of fun and this was my first modding experience. I'm looking forward to learning more and going further into this world.

I want to understand compatibility patches. At the moment, when I run loot, there are a few mods that are talking about them, such as:

image.thumb.png.9cdc2e70c8b8d0037a91482b97cb2703.pngimage.thumb.png.f0cf8e9a65ef6012657b45f6e663bfd2.pngimage.thumb.png.3533f23093cffe2fcacff67d7ed7c482.pngimage.thumb.png.e54d5ff52cf7489be3e445211c897529.pngimage.thumb.png.6ebe1a5a814752933d327a5a5ae7ea8d.pngimage.thumb.png.a7359c46d05eb41cf78d99d02834b233.pngimage.thumb.png.24756931f97cad9f157d5ff5f19de4ca.pngimage.thumb.png.69f240d208ad80f1537a9d52a0739d92.png

• Landscape and Water Fixes & Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul
  • Unlimited Bookshelves & SSSEdit
  • Audio Overhaul Skyrim & Enhanced Blood Textures
  • Book Covers Skyrim & The Choice is Yours
  • Relationship Dialogue Overhaul & AI overhaul
  • Cutting Room Floor & AI Overhaul
  • Cutting Room Floor & The Choice is Yours
  • imp_helm_legend & Weapons Armor Clothing and Clutter fixes
  • Realistic Water Two & Myrwatch(creation club)

I know this guide is very thorough, and for that reason, and just the nature of the mods I listed out, it seems like the compatibility is unnecessary or just has a very small effect? However, at least for the last 4 I listed, wouldn't I want the imp legend helm to have the fix? Or the Cut content from The Choice is Yours work correctly?

What are compatibility patches exactly? It seems like they are often made by people other than the mod creators. Can I trust them?

Compatibility patches allow two or more incompatible mods to be used together by making edits to the game data using xEdit. You can ignore those LOOT notes. We account for all that and much more with the Step patches. LOOT isn't aware of most custom patches like ours.

Further reliable reading for the layman.

• 1 month later...

Guide updated with some known info related to the 1.6.1130 game runtime update and recent significant mod changes. I'm still working through the Step Patches, but I think the current patches are largely compatible with the mod changes. Still TBD for certain though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2024 at 11:57 PM, z929669 said:

Guide updated with some known info related to the 1.6.1130 game runtime update and recent significant mod changes. I'm still working through the Step Patches, but I think the current patches are largely compatible with the mod changes. Still TBD for certain though.

Is it now safe to use the STEP guide with the newest game version?

8 hours ago, notcyf said:

Is it now safe to use the STEP guide with the newest game version?

Nothing is 'unsafe' really, but the guide is not fully updated to work with 1130 or 1170. Only partially. We are awaiting the mod authors of all mods to do their thing.

On 1/27/2024 at 4:40 PM, z929669 said:

Nothing is 'unsafe' really, but the guide is not fully updated to work with 1130 or 1170. Only partially. We are awaiting the mod authors of all mods to do their thing.

Could you let me know which mods we are still waiting an update on? If the list is huge you don't have to answer that, just a paraphrase is enough.

Hello. My name is Aki. I'm currently making the switch from LE to SE for skyrim modding. i'm trying to follow STEP and I am lost. I'm up to the part about xLODGen. I don't understand a thing. I don't know what it is, I don't know what it does, I don't understand the installation, i don't understand the use. The guide turns to gibberish for me at this point. In fact a LOT of the STEP guide has been confusing me compared to the last time I set up LE skyrim mods.

37 minutes ago, AkiK said:

Hello. My name is Aki. I'm currently making the switch from LE to SE for skyrim modding. i'm trying to follow STEP and I am lost. I'm up to the part about xLODGen. I don't understand a thing. I don't know what it is, I don't know what it does, I don't understand the installation, i don't understand the use. The guide turns to gibberish for me at this point. In fact a LOT of the STEP guide has been confusing me compared to the last time I set up LE skyrim mods.

You did not ask a question. You just made a number of statements.

Read the first post.
This is a beta of [FNV|FO3|FO4|FO4VR|TES5|SSE|TES5VR|ENDERAL|ENDERALSE]LODGen/Edit with terrain LOD meshes and textures generation.
This is for experienced mod authors and users that know how to use xEdit, xLODGen or DynDOLOD already.

I do not provide support for third party modding guides like STEP support in this thread. See https://stepmodifications.org/forum/forum/157-step-skyrim-se-guide/

https://www.google.com/search?q=xlodgen -> https://dyndolod.info/Help/xLODGen
xLODGen is a Creation Kit replacement LOD generator. It creates vanilla style object LOD, tree LOD, terrain LOD and occlusion data.

https://dyndolod.info/Terminology

20 minutes ago, sheson said:

You did not ask a question. You just made a number of statements.

Read the first post.
This is a beta of [FNV|FO3|FO4|FO4VR|TES5|SSE|TES5VR|ENDERAL|ENDERALSE]LODGen/Edit with terrain LOD meshes and textures generation.
This is for experienced mod authors and users that know how to use xEdit, xLODGen or DynDOLOD already.

I do not provide support for third party modding guides like STEP support in this thread. See https://stepmodifications.org/forum/forum/157-step-skyrim-se-guide/

https://www.google.com/search?q=xlodgen -> https://dyndolod.info/Help/xLODGen
xLODGen is a Creation Kit replacement LOD generator. It creates vanilla style object LOD, tree LOD, terrain LOD and occlusion data.

https://dyndolod.info/Terminology

I am not asking for STEP support. I'm just seeking clarity as to what this particular thing is. The rest of my post was just me venting (which I admit was inappropriate of me. Just been a stressful series of weeks for me). I apologize.

My questions are very basic.

1. What is LODGen?

2. What does LODGen do? (in very simple terms please. I do not understand tech very well.)

3. Is it necessary or can I get by without it?

xLODGen is a modding tool.

xLODGen generates LOD meshes and textures used to display details you see in the distance. For Skyrim, this also affects the details on the world map.

xLODGen is necessary to ensure that a modded setup's distant details match its near details.

3 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

xLODGen is a modding tool.

xLODGen generates LOD meshes and textures used to display details you see in the distance. For Skyrim, this also affects the details on the world map.

xLODGen is necessary to ensure that a modded setup's distant details match its near details.

Okay then. Follow up question:

How do i install and use it in the simplest way possible. (I am using MO2 if it makes a difference).

1. Download and extract to C:\Modding\Tools\xLODGen (or some other location you prefer that is outside of UAC control).
  2. Open the executables menu (gears icon) at the top of the main Mod Organizer window.
  3. In the left pane of the executables config, click the [+] to add a new executable, and then [Add from file...].
  4. Browse to and select the xLODGenx64.exe file.
  5. Change the title to xLODGenx64.
  6. Input the following in the Arguments field: -lodgen -SSE -o:"C:\Modding\Tools\xLODGen\xLODGen_Output"
  7. Please note there is no space between the -o: and the quotation marks. It is -o:"path" not -o:  "path"
  8. Tick the Use applications icon for desktop shortcuts box.
  9. Click [Apply].

To run xLODGen, select it from the executables dropdown and click Run.

The following video is one I made for Fallout 4, but it is very similar to Skyrim. Do note that we only use xLODGen for the Terrain portion (we untick the Object portion showed in the video) and use DynDOLOD for it instead.

9 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

Change the title to xLODGenx64.

Is this step necessary or just cosmetic?

Is this like FNIS where it needs to be done when certain changes are made or is it a one time run?