v2.2.0 - Feedback & Bug Reports

z929669

I know the GOG version of the game isn't as common, but a possible suggestion to highlight the command line arguments to be used for xlodgen, texgen, and DynDOLOD?  I spent almost 3 days bonking my head on my desk trying to figure out why I kept having all sorts of strange texture and mesh issues, not realizing that the tools needed to be manually directed to the plugins.txt.  Otherwise the guide was very easy to use for the GOG version, just had to substitute almost all the plugins for the GOG versions, EXCEPT the DynDOLOD DLL NG SKSE plugin.  The plugin linked by the guide seems to work fine with my install.  Also I was affected by the edge case of using an ultrawide screen. It was easily corrected after I fixed my DynDOLOD issues, but had to regen DynDOLOD due to load order change.  All the <3 for the STEP maintainers, and now going to enjoy my install.  Hopefully this post can be helpful for other GOG users.  ^^

4 hours ago, Aerodyne said:

I know the GOG version of the game isn't as common, but a possible suggestion to highlight the command line arguments to be used for xlodgen, texgen, and DynDOLOD?  I spent almost 3 days bonking my head on my desk trying to figure out why I kept having all sorts of strange texture and mesh issues, not realizing that the tools needed to be manually directed to the plugins.txt.  Otherwise the guide was very easy to use for the GOG version, just had to substitute almost all the plugins for the GOG versions, EXCEPT the DynDOLOD DLL NG SKSE plugin.  The plugin linked by the guide seems to work fine with my install.  Also I was affected by the edge case of using an ultrawide screen. It was easily corrected after I fixed my DynDOLOD issues, but had to regen DynDOLOD due to load order change.  All the <3 for the STEP maintainers, and now going to enjoy my install.  Hopefully this post can be helpful for other GOG users.  ^^

Step does not support the GOG version, and we don't maintain the DynDOLOD documentation.

Getting the same CTD in exact same area (Dragon Bridge). Happens right after I loot Peladius body during CC quest.

Crash log: https://pastebin.com/GV349AU9

I followed STEP guide and installed a few additional mods that shouldn't conflict with anything in STEP.

LOOT doesn't show any dirty plugins.

This is reproducible, I crash literally as soon as I loot the armor from Peladius' body.

1 hour ago, aktillum said:

Getting the same CTD in exact same area (Dragon Bridge). Happens right after I loot Peladius body during CC quest.

Crash log: https://pastebin.com/GV349AU9

I followed STEP guide and installed a few additional mods that shouldn't conflict with anything in STEP.

LOOT doesn't show any dirty plugins.

This is reproducible, I crash literally as soon as I loot the armor from Peladius' body.

It's almost certainly related to your added mods or other deviations from the SSE guide. You can test on a new game by disabling any added mods and correcting other deviations from the guide if applicable.

Otherwise, check any of the NPC records related to Peladius in the ccbgssse058-ba_steel.esl plugin and conflicts related to that. My guess is that at least one of your added mods touches NPCs and/or factions.

21 minutes ago, z929669 said:

It's almost certainly related to your added mods or other deviations from the SSE guide. You can test on a new game by disabling any added mods and correcting other deviations from the guide if applicable.

Otherwise, check any of the NPC records related to Peladius in the ccbgssse058-ba_steel.esl plugin and conflicts related to that. My guess is that at least one of your added mods touches NPCs and/or factions.

Hey, thanks for the reply :)

It's guaranteed to CTD when I loot Peladius, but it also just randomly crashes while hanging out in Dragon Bridge.

So something in Dragon Bridge is a problem and something about looting Peladius either makes it immediately worse, or that's a separate problem by itself.

Whew this is messy, I didn't deviate too much from the SSE guide, I pretty much followed it to a letter and then mostly installed animations or little QoL mods that didn't seem like they'd conflict with anything in STEP. Running LOOT doesn't show any "You're missing compatibility patch for XYZ" messages, so....hrrrmph!

I'll see what I can find specifically in Peladius as you mentioned, but Dragon Bridge by itself still frequently CTDs just standing around so might just need to continue playing and avoid that area, haha.

7 minutes ago, aktillum said:

It's guaranteed to CTD when I loot Peladius, but it also just randomly crashes while hanging out in Dragon Bridge.

So something in Dragon Bridge is a problem and something about looting Peladius either makes it immediately worse, or that's a separate problem by itself.

Whew this is messy, I didn't deviate too much from the SSE guide, I pretty much followed it to a letter and then mostly installed animations or little QoL mods that didn't seem like they'd conflict with anything in STEP. Running LOOT doesn't show any "You're missing compatibility patch for XYZ" messages, so....hrrrmph!

I'll see what I can find specifically in Peladius as you mentioned, but Dragon Bridge by itself still frequently CTDs just standing around so might just need to continue playing and avoid that area, haha.

I've also seen one-time issues with a particular savegame with Dragon Bridge and related characters, so testing on a new game could magically resolve the issue. Otherwise, there is a plugin conflict or missing dependency of some kind, I would guess.

Not sure if this is the correct place to submit this, but in the latest STEP guide for Skyrim, under detailed instructions for the "Sweet Mother" mod, it just says "{{{detailed}}}" 

Maybe it's just being updated etc., but thought I'd let you know and also ask if there's any important information I might be missing. Currently installing STEP for the first time.

Thanks.

Edited by ChuckyLarms

7 minutes ago, ChuckyLarms said:

Not sure if this is the correct place to submit this, but in the latest STEP guide for Skyrim, under detailed instructions for the "Sweet Mother" mod, it just says "{{{detailed}}}" 

Maybe it's just being updated etc., but thought I'd let you know and also ask if there's any important information I might be missing. Currently installing STEP for the first time.

Thanks.

Thanks. This is fixed.

47 minutes ago, z929669 said:

I've also seen one-time issues with a particular savegame with Dragon Bridge and related characters, so testing on a new game could magically resolve the issue. Otherwise, there is a plugin conflict or missing dependency of some kind, I would guess.

I've slowly boiled this down and it's definitely related to the "Over the Edge" quest itself, not specifically the Peladius NPC. I used the console to setstage completed for the quest and Skyrim immediately crashed.

The other Dragon Bridge CTDs were just extreme script overload, I checked those saves in Resaver and there were thousands of spell instances firing off.

In any case this is definitely triggered by completing the quest and I haven't installed anything outside STEP that would modify quests, but you never know what these crazy mod authors get up to.

1 hour ago, aktillum said:

Been running around Dragon Bridge for 40 minutes now and have no issues with latest STEP guide build.

Adding mods, that from the description seem not conflicting with STEP, does not mean it will not in reality. It is amaizing how many bad mods there is out there. :o

Loot is is not enough for finding what patches you need (that is why we have the STEP Patches), it only tells you about patches reported and added to the masterlist by authors and users. I have had ctd from simple armor mods just bco a small bad edit by the author.

You have to check in xEdit by yourself. Also, most patches on Nexus is only between two mods, maby you have a ctd that is caused by the combination of three or more mods?

37 minutes ago, Mercury71 said:

Been running around Dragon Bridge for 40 minutes now and have no issues with latest STEP guide build.

This was in fact nothing related to STEP guide. It was being caused by ShieldOfStaminaAE.dll which is part of a combat mod for....shield blocking. I have how idea how that broke an entire quest script but that's what it was! Sorry for the mixup everyone.

Edited by aktillum
  • Like 2

In the STEP guide for installing QUI, it says "Install the AE main file."

There is no longer a main AE file for QUI. The author says it now works with both SE and AE, but the description for the main file only mentions SE 1.5.x and 1.6.x, with a lot of people mentioning issues in the post section.

Any help would be appreciated. 

6 minutes ago, ChuckyLarms said:

In the STEP guide for installing QUI, it says "Install the AE main file."

There is no longer a main AE file for QUI. The author says it now works with both SE and AE, but the description for the main file only mentions SE 1.5.x and 1.6.x, with a lot of people mentioning issues in the post section.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Just install the Main File. Mod page instructions removed.

Wonders of Weather introduces a ton of script lag and CTDs for many people because of the scripted raindrops.

A lot of people recommend Splashes of Storms instead. Anyone reason why WoW is recommended over SoS in the guide?