v2.2.0 - Feedback & Bug Reports

z929669

Do you not see that both images show the same different settings? In actuality, there is a misprint on the second set. 

1 hour ago, Mylaur said:

I'm using STEP for the first time and it seems there is some missing information:

image.thumb.png.4a612e6fa6adce0d8c8270714bacaff3.png

These instructions are literally identical, thus I'm not sure which one is enabling ENB Complex Grass (if I understood right). However by googling some stuff, I end up on  https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/SkyrimSE:Grass_LOD_Guide and the instructions do have another line.
image.thumb.png.a599c6be50b3cb58231a0aa57cc26526.png

So I assume this is an oversight and want you guys to know. Otherwise it's not very well explained what ENB Complex Grass is.

2 hours ago, Mylaur said:

I'm using STEP for the first time and it seems there is some missing information:

image.thumb.png.4a612e6fa6adce0d8c8270714bacaff3.png

These instructions are literally identical

These instruction sets are NOT identical, and the headings for each clearly delineate their application with/wo CG. Neither of these 'enable' CG, and I'm fairly certain that it is not implied anywhere that they do. TexGen detects CG based on the textures themselves.

The second set from the grass LOD guide have incorrect CG settings, since they are all for 'red'. This will be corrected if it hasn't been already

Also, please don't Google how to do things relating to the Step guides. You should ask questions here.

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before ( a quick search couldn't find anything related to it )

ENB Series (currently v 0.484 SSE) has had quite a few "silent" updates since the initial release. For whatever reason, Boris hasn't adjusted the versioning, probably because they have been small updates. These updates are mentioned in the News section, but not in the ENB for SSE changelogs.

Perhaps there should be a mention of this in the STEP Guide to make people aware that "silent" updates are a "thing" concerning ENB Series?

3 hours ago, ButchDiavolo said:

I am not sure if this has been mentioned before ( a quick search couldn't find anything related to it )

ENB Series (currently v 0.484 SSE) has had quite a few "silent" updates since the initial release. For whatever reason, Boris hasn't adjusted the versioning, probably because they have been small updates. These updates are mentioned in the News section, but not in the ENB for SSE changelogs.

Perhaps there should be a mention of this in the STEP Guide to make people aware that "silent" updates are a "thing" concerning ENB Series?

First of all, thank you very much for this guide! As a newcomer to Skyrim Modding (don't laugh!) this was tremendously helpful in setting up a sound foundation.

And FYI: The guide works just fine for people using the GOG version (as long as they set up the paths for the tools properly and pick the GOG version of SKSE plugins where applicable).

I do have one small suggestion reg. Step 5 - DynDOLOD:

The guide DOES contain a small hint regarding LOD32 rules for 'A Clear Map of Skyrim'.

But it is easy to miss what this implies (at least it was for me).

I'd suggest to either duplicate the suggestions from the 'A Clear Map of Skyrim' Nexus page:

• Modify the tree rule by double clicking it. Under the LOD Level 32 dropdown, select Billboard6.
  • Modify the \ rule by double clicking it. Under the LOD Level 32 dropdown, select Level0.

Or at least add a direct link to the Nexus page (currently the link goes to a page on this Wiki with no additional information).

These settings make quite a dramatic difference, obviously they come with a performance penalty.

9 hours ago, Doodleroo said:

First of all, thank you very much for this guide! As a newcomer to Skyrim Modding (don't laugh!) this was tremendously helpful in setting up a sound foundation.

And FYI: The guide works just fine for people using the GOG version (as long as they set up the paths for the tools properly and pick the GOG version of SKSE plugins where applicable).

I do have one small suggestion reg. Step 5 - DynDOLOD:

The guide DOES contain a small hint regarding LOD32 rules for 'A Clear Map of Skyrim'.

But it is easy to miss what this implies (at least it was for me).

I'd suggest to either duplicate the suggestions from the 'A Clear Map of Skyrim' Nexus page:

• Modify the tree rule by double clicking it. Under the LOD Level 32 dropdown, select Billboard6.
  • Modify the \ rule by double clicking it. Under the LOD Level 32 dropdown, select Level0.

Or at least add a direct link to the Nexus page (currently the link goes to a page on this Wiki with no additional information).

These settings make quite a dramatic difference, obviously they come with a performance penalty.

I disagree that the instructions are implicit but rather they are explicit and fairly obious, and I feel the need to push back on adding additional instructions redundantly. Anything we take the time to write is "easily missed" by many people, and there is no way to avoid that. Adding redundancy is just more maintenance for us.

1. The guide includes images of the GUI settings recommended using color coding for context
  2. The link to ACMoS in that DynDOLOD section of the guide points to our mod page, yes, but our mod pages also link to the corresponding Nexus mod pages, so anyone really following the guide has all information at the ready.

I really don't think adding yet more text for people to not read does anything but make more people not want to read even more text. I don't think it gets any clearer than it is, and with links to the Nexus and wiki mod pages conveniently provided, there's nothing more to do.

image.pngimage.png

On 1/30/2023 at 8:57 PM, Mercury71 said:

Strange. I dont get an error.

Edit. Check so you have the right Adress Library.

I downloaded the "All in One Anniversary Edition" of the Address Library as noted in the STEP guide.

For PapyrusUtil, the guide says "Install PapyrusUtil AE - Scripting Utility Functions main file." but that's not exactly an option as written. The screengrab here is what I downloaded, but that shows an older version of SKSE, so is that the incorrect version of PapyrusUtil I'm grabbing?

Screenshot 2023-02-14 140846.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lostshore said:

I downloaded the "All in One Anniversary Edition" of the Address Library as noted in the STEP guide.

For PapyrusUtil, the guide says "Install PapyrusUtil AE - Scripting Utility Functions main file." but that's not exactly an option as written. The screengrab here is what I downloaded, but that shows an older version of SKSE, so is that the incorrect version of PapyrusUtil I'm grabbing?

Screenshot 2023-02-14 140846.png

That's correct. Mod page updated.

6 hours ago, druisiuil said:

The latest DynDOLOD 3 Alpha 112 apparently requires the new DynDOLOD DLL NG and Scripts 3.00 Alpha-4. There is a note here that Alpha 111 or older works with Alpha-3 and Alpha 112 works with Alpha-4, inferring something will break if you cross the streams. 

Step always uses the latest, so regenerate if you are moving to 112/Alpha4

21 hours ago, z929669 said:

Step always uses the latest, so regenerate if you are moving to 112/Alpha4

Yep, it was meant as a nudge to update the guide sooner rather than later (I think it still had Alpha-3 linked when I posted) and a heads up that someone may post about odd LOD issues caused by the 112/Alpha3 combination.

The metadata for the Step Skyrim Special Edition - SSE - Guide CR patch on Nexus may be off. I am aware 2.2.2 is the current version but even with using "Force-check updates", MO2 thinks 2.2 does not need an update. Or maybe it is in the same time warp change logs have been diverted through lately.

56 minutes ago, druisiuil said:

The metadata for the Step Skyrim Special Edition - SSE - Guide CR patch on Nexus may be off. I am aware 2.2.2 is the current version but even with using "Force-check updates", MO2 thinks 2.2 does not need an update. Or maybe it is in the same time warp change logs have been diverted through lately.

It's working correctly for me. I just re-downloaded and reinstalled everything to be sure. This is how it's expected to look:

image.png

image.png

image.png

The only one that should look outdated is the CR Patch thanks to how Nexus treats Main Files with respect to the global mod-page version (Nexus and/or MO thinks they should be in sync, but does not do this for any other file sections). I correct this by setting newestVersion properly in meta.ini, so this:

image.png

becomes this:

image.png

and all is green and will be flagged for update when any of these changes now.

Newest version is 2.2.4 for the CR Patch only. We keep the global version at 2.2.0 to match the guide (we'll be dropping the 'patch' number in the third place here and on the Nexus global version moving forward).

EDIT: The changelog is also accurate for me. You can review the global changelog or click the version links on the Files page:

image.png

image.png