Soul Gems Differ - Full and Empty (by Utopolyst)

stoppingby4now

Okay....

• All text corrected
  • "Metal - Orange" corrected to "Orange"
  • 2 additional vanilla presets added
  • 6 additional color presets added
  • Fixed NMM and MO external installer issue
  • Renamed a few folders ( FOMOD didn't like the all the dashes in the folder name and tossed out an error so this "--- Screenshots ---" became this "- Screenshots -" )
  • Updated FOMOD with new folder names
  • Updated BAIN Wizard with new folder names
  • Updated ReadMe

This is now an All-in-One installer! Both the FOMOD and the Wizard are included and both (should) work...I didn't test the Wizard. Here is the file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1_Nlyy2ueu0WU5hM1JrVDFtZ0U/edit?usp=sharing

Questions? :cool:

Since I use lazygecko's Immersive Sounds - Aural Assortment mod, and it was also just updated, I can report that it and also his Immersive Sounds - Compendium mod contain new sounds for all the soul gem records.

I know none of the IS - sound mods are in the STEP guides, but it's important to know that if either IS - Aural Assortment or IS - Compendium load after Soul Gems Differ, a compatibility patch would be needed in order to bring forward the names (if the sorted naming option is chosen) as well as the SGD custom mesh file locations.

Also...

I took a peek inside / at the new FOMOD installer by the way, and would like to say you guys have done a fantastic job with that - the images are extremely helpful, of course!

It's also great that you're able to do a all-in-one BAIN / FOMOD installer. I now have intimate understanding of the intricacies of making that happen, after working with alt3rn1ty to make a BAIN wizard to work with the AOS 2 FOMOD package.

Since I use lazygecko's Immersive Sounds - Aural Assortment mod, and it was also just updated, I can report that it and also his Immersive Sounds - Compendium mod contain new sounds for all the soul gem records.

I know none of the IS - sound mods are in the STEP guides, but it's important to know that if either IS - Aural Assortment or IS - Compendium load after Soul Gems Differ, a compatibility patch would be needed in order to bring forward the names (if the sorted naming option is chosen) as well as the SGD custom mesh file locations.

The names are simple. Just tag Soul Gems Differ NV.esp with a Names tag in Wrye Bash when you go to make the Bashed Patch. Soul Gems Differ redirects meshes?

Looking at the Bash installer for the mod, I really think it can be improved (no disrespect to z92 or TheChosenone). There's a lot of duplication in the installer, it doesn't have the same flow as the FOMOD installer (including the fact that the STEP options force a default plugin to be installed, which doesn't happen in the FOMOD installer), and the explanations could be massivly improved.

I'm working on a major revision of that installer, and I will upload it here as soon as it's ready.

Looking at the Bash installer for the mod, I really think it can be improved (no disrespect to z92 or TheChosenone). There's a lot of duplication in the installer, it doesn't have the same flow as the FOMOD installer (including the fact that the STEP options force a default plugin to be installed, which doesn't happen in the FOMOD installer), and the explanations could be massivly improved.I'm working on a major revision of that installer, and I will upload it here as soon as it's ready.

I noticed these things when I was updating the FOMOD with the additional options. Unfortunately, I have no idea how those installers work so I left it alone.

Thanks guys. Glad you like it!

SGD doesn't provide any custom paths for meshes.

Um, actually, SGD does in fact change the MODL - Model Filename for every "filled" soul gem record, as seen here:

Posted Image

So, DY's suggestion of adding the Names bash tag to the SGD plugin won't help with the "incompatibility" I mentioned for anyone thinking of using IS - Aural Assortment / IS - Compendium, because if either of those loads after SGD, it will revert the filename for the filled gem meshes back to the vanilla name, and thus remove the difference in appearance between empty and filled gems.

If SGD loads after either of the IS mods, then the USKP drop sound would be used. So, as I stated, a patch would be needed if the user hopes to get IS's sounds and the difference between full/empty gems - regardless of load order.

Looking at the Bash installer for the mod, I really think it can be improved (no disrespect to z92 or TheChosenone). There's a lot of duplication in the installer, it doesn't have the same flow as the FOMOD installer (including the fact that the STEP options force a default plugin to be installed, which doesn't happen in the FOMOD installer), and the explanations could be massivly improved.

I'm working on a major revision of that installer, and I will upload it here as soon as it's ready.

Yes, I basically rewrote the entire installer a year or two ago and just did not have the time to replicate the FOMOD this time ... I just reproduced the entire installer for Requiem option :P Since the BAIN installer is not the most used version and those using it are likely more experienced modders, I did not sweat it.

As I have said previously, any assistance with improving the installer would be most welcome. Ideally, the BAIN installer follows the FOMOD exactly behavior wise.

Also, if anyone comes up with some 'good' custom choices of their own, they can be added to the gamut of presets. The 9 presets I created are the result of many hours of work to replicate sort of the Morrowind treatment of soul gem colors, but there are literally trillions of variations!

EDIT: I will create a patch for IS if/when we begin using that ... I actually just learned how to mess with languages and patching in updating this mod, so it is actually kinda fun ::P: