Skyrim Realistic Overhaul (by Starac)

z929669

@Starac

I see that you were able to upload 1024 this evening (31st), so belay my last.

Does this include higher res 2048/4096 textures for dungeons, landscape and other stretched textures? Or is everything 1024 in that one (I could look, but simpler to ask you before I download).

If not, do you recommend download your 1024 AND 2048 packs and mix them up as you say?

Yes somehow i succeed to upload it. No errors this time.

This is just 1024 resolution. The same like old file.

Yes, i do recommend. How much VRAM do you have, btw? I presume that people with 2 gb of VRAM can use all high-res textures?

I have 2 gb Vram and am currently using the 2k textures along with quite a few other HD armor weapon and character textures as well as the HD DLC, SMIM, and WATER. Works fine although I'm probably pushing it :)

So it is playable.

How much VRAM it takes? You can check this with MSI Afterburner.

Yes, i do recommend. How much VRAM do you have, btw? I presume that people with 2 gb of VRAM can use all high-res textures?

I operate using only 1 GB VRAM (mirrored via CrossfireX), so I'd like to determine 'stretched' versus 'un-stretched'. Then I want to construct a custom hybrid of SRO and compare only the following + HRDLC over a virgin vanilla installation without any post processing or other 'noise':

• SRO 1024 full
  • SRO hybrid full (need details on your recommendations for combining HI & LO - If I construct, I will share with you for upload to your mod)
  • SRO 2048 full
I will likely also experiment with 4096 mountains.

I love having plenty of VRAM 3GB to be exact. I hope the next S.T.E.P. update includes all of this information from Starac and more options for those of us not limited by CPU, GPU, VRAM, etc, etc.

Then we need testers without limits! :P

I love having plenty of VRAM 3GB to be exact. I hope the next S.T.E.P. update includes all of this information from Starac and more options for those of us not limited by CPU, GPU, VRAM, etc, etc.

Then we need testers without limits! :P

I'd be glad to! I'm about to go back to work, but afterwards I can send you a PM with my system specs and see if it's good enough for you.

I have 2 gb Vram and am currently using the 2k textures along with quite a few other HD armor weapon and character textures as well as the HD DLC, SMIM, and WATER. Works fine although I'm probably pushing it :)

So it is playable.

Measuring with GPU-Z running around outside and inside Whiterun I use around 1.55. Biggest difference from many people's setup is probably that I currently only use Vurts plant textures, using the full pack with what the STEP (or TPC) guide currently recommends will probably add on quite a bit.

Edit: The 2 gb card is a quite recent purchase, I did actually use the mixed resolution package Starac recommends when I had a 560 ti 1 gb card and in ran ok although I had to be careful with what I added to it.

I operate using only 1 GB VRAM (mirrored via CrossfireX), so I'd like to determine 'stretched' versus 'un-stretched'. Then I want to construct a custom hybrid of SRO and compare only the following + HRDLC over a virgin vanilla installation without any post processing or other 'noise':

• SRO 1024 full
  • SRO hybrid full (need details on your recommendations for combining HI & LO - If I construct, I will share with you for upload to your mod)
  • SRO 2048 full
It easy to determine. Landscape, Dungeons and Towns are stretched in many places. But with Landscape and Towns you must be careful because they cover huge areas, and this will eat VRAM easily.

Dungeons and interiors operate like individual cells, which means when you enter some house or cave only this cell is loaded. In this case you can use even 4096 textures. 

Clutter is tricky. Many clutter textures are placed outside, and high-res is not a good idea. I can't use all high-res clutter. Also with 1gb of VRAM forget about 4096k mountains. 

What you need to do is find and save places where textures are stretched or not and determine which res is the best. First install all high-res textures and then throw inside low-res version, Clutter file for example. Then enter the game and load those places with Clutter textures and look.

And do not overwrite high-res files with low-res, just rename them like in attachment. Here you see Clutter which is mixed file that i use in game, and ClutterM which is high-res file. After deciding what to use you can delete high-res version file. This is how i do when testing and mixing textures.

Also i have to mention that i use only parts of HD DLC; armor, weapons, clothes and some clutter.  Armor, weapons and clothes textures are resized to 1024 res. I think there is mod which also did this? You also know which other mods i recommend and use, and this is included in my combination except Vurts textures. They look great but i can't use them cause game stutter to much. And to be honest those vanilla plants look pretty good. They are not stretched. 

Many SRO textures look very good even in 1024 resolution because i have made them to be very detailed and clear in 2048 res. So resizing wont make them look worse to much.

And mods like this are very helpful:

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/26126/

files1.jpg

So it is playable.

Measuring with GPU-Z running around outside and inside Whiterun I use around 1.55. Biggest difference from many people's setup is probably that I currently only use Vurts plant textures, using the full pack with what the STEP (or TPC) guide currently recommends will probably add on quite a bit.

Edit: The 2 gb card is a quite recent purchase, I did actually use the mixed resolution package Starac recommends when I had a 560 ti 1 gb card and in ran ok although I had to be careful with what I added to it.

You use 4096k mountains? 

So it is playable.

You use 4096k mountains? 

No, I didn't have them installed at that time. 

But I did do a new test just now, running around on the plains outside Whiterun (and being attacked by a dragon) I peaked at 1,75 gb with 4k mountains installed. 

• SRO 1024 full
  • SRO 2048 full
It easy to determine. Landscape, Dungeons and Towns are stretched in many places. But with Landscape and Towns you must be careful because they cover huge areas, and this will eat VRAM easily.

Dungeons and interiors operate like individual cells, which means when you enter some house or cave only this cell is loaded. In this case you can use even 4096 textures. 

Clutter is tricky. Many clutter textures are placed outside, and high-res is not a good idea. I can't use all high-res clutter. Also with 1gb of VRAM forget about 4096k mountains. 

What you need to do is find and save places where textures are stretched or not and determine which res is the best. First install all high-res textures and then throw inside low-res version, Clutter file for example. Then enter the game and load those places with Clutter textures and look.

And do not overwrite high-res files with low-res, just rename them like in attachment. Here you see Clutter which is mixed file that i use in game, and ClutterM which is high-res file. After deciding what to use you can delete high-res version file. This is how i do when testing and mixing textures.

Also i have to mention that i use only parts of HD DLC; armor, weapons, clothes and some clutter.  Armor, weapons and clothes textures are resized to 1024 res. I think there is mod which also did this? You also know which other mods i recommend and use, and this is included in my combination except Vurts textures. They look great but i can't use them cause game stutter to much. And to be honest those vanilla plants look pretty good. They are not stretched. 

Many SRO textures look very good even in 1024 resolution because i have made them to be very detailed and clear in 2048 res. So resizing wont make them look worse to much.

And mods like this are very helpful:

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/26126/

OK, this is a good start. I'll use DDSopt to reduce some of the HRDLC textures as you advised and then go through this exercise using SRO HI/LO to see what has the biggest effect.

The mod you mention is a MUST for STEP I think (will post a thread). SMIM USP do not do this?

So it is playable.

You use 4096k mountains? 

No, I didn't have them installed at that time. 

But I did do a new test just now, running around on the plains outside Whiterun (and being attacked by a dragon) I peaked at 1,75 gb with 4k mountains installed. 

So 2gb is more then enough.
Thanks.

OK, this is a good start. I'll use DDSopt to reduce some of the HRDLC textures as you advised and then go through this exercise using SRO HI/LO to see what has the biggest effect.

The mod you mention is a MUST for STEP I think (will post a thread). SMIM USP do not do this?

Thanks.

Well i have tried at least a little bit to explain on my average english :) 

Also here is optimized HD DLC mod:  

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/9080

I couldn't download it because of Nexus errors. Maybe you can?

And this mesh mod is great. I like SMIM, but this is more important to me.