Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

Hi, I just wanted to ask a maybe stupid question. It's about the installation of "Improved Sound FX v0821". You mentioned in your guide to install the main file and the PN esp. After that i moved ALL plugins into the optional folder. What about the PN esp? :O_o: I'm a bit confused.

Are you following these instructions?:

For the Improved Sound FX v0821 tick both "DLC esps" and "Data".

Install the PN esp file into the Improved Sound FX mod and select [Merge] when asked.

In the left pane of MO, right click Improved Sound FX and select "Information".

Under the Optional ESPs tab, move all plugins EXCEPT "Improved Sound FX.esp" to Optional ESPs.

You should be moving all plugins EXCEPT "Improved Sound FX.esp"

Are you following these instructions?:

For the Improved Sound FX v0821 tick both "DLC esps" and "Data".

Install the PN esp file into the Improved Sound FX mod and select [Merge] when asked.

In the left pane of MO, right click Improved Sound FX and select "Information".

Under the Optional ESPs tab, move all plugins EXCEPT "Improved Sound FX.esp" to Optional ESPs.

You should be moving all plugins EXCEPT "Improved Sound FX.esp"

Sorry, maybe I wrote it not right. I moved ALL plugins except "Improved Sound FX.esp". But what about "Improved Sound FX - Project Nevada.esp"? If I should move it to the Optional ESPs, why should I download it? :blush:

That's a good question - I wondered the same thing.  The PN part was an optional file download that was merged into the main file part, so it does beg that question - why download the PN part if you aren't going to use it anyway?  The only file in the PN archive for "Improved Sound FX" is the .esp file.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Hi, I've followed the Fear and Loathing setup since very early on. I've uninstalled and reinstalled NV several times in that time and every time, I had a weird compass issue that I could never fix - until now!

The guide needs to be amended to reflect that, at the very least, Compass: POI Recognition under Tweak Settings is UNCHECKED. The current wording of the Bashed Patch section implies that everything else under Tweak Settings should also be checked; this led to me having broken marker points on my compass. Thank you for your work EssArrBee.

Edited by pudz
  • +1 1

Just a little suggestion regarding BSA extraction within your guide. 

I don't know if someone has already mentioned this, so sorry ahead of time for being redundant, but I would suggest enabling the BSA extractor plugin in the MOs settings. With this plugin enabled, during a mod installation, MO will pop up an option to extract the BSA file, but only if one exists in the mods package.  Even better, the most current versions of MO will automatically make a backup of the BSA after extraction, placing the BSA within its own backup folder inside the mods install file.  No more needing to do all this extra work extracting and backing up the BSA files.  MO will do all the work for you.

Hi, I've followed the Fear and Loathing setup since very early on. I've uninstalled and reinstalled NV several times in that time and every time, I had a weird compass issue that I could never fix - until now!

The guide needs to be amended to reflect that, at the very least, Compass: POI Recognition under Tweak Settings is UNCHECKED. The current wording of the Bashed Patch section implies that everything else under Tweak Settings should also be checked; this led to me having broken marker points on my compass. Thank you for your work EssArrBee.

I asked SRB about that before.  I thought it looked a little confusing too.  What the guide is attempting to say is that you check the boxes on all the categories listed in the guides instructions, and then check every single subcategory of those categories... EXCEPT the Import Names and Tweak Settings categories, which are different in these ways: For Import Names, you check all but 1 subcategory - uncheck Fallout.esm.  And then for Tweak Settings, you ONLY check Terminal Speed Adjustment and make sure it's set to "x6".  Leave all other subcategories unchecked.  I didn't word it the best either just now, but I did it differently and I hope that clarifies it for you.

Edited by oqhansoloqo
  • +1 1

I guess I should redo that part of the guide to be much more descriptive. I never liked the end of the guide and should put more into it.

I have been quite busy with life though, so I should finally have some time coming up since I see it's been 20 days  ::O:  since I made an update to the guide. I have managed to play Lonesome Road again in my spare time and that Lonesome Road YUP EDE repair fix is very much needed. The rock textures used in LR need a mod to cover them, they are very low res. I'll have to look at EWIs version. 

Just a little suggestion regarding BSA extraction within your guide.

I don't know if someone has already mentioned this, so sorry ahead of time for being redundant, but I would suggest enabling the BSA extractor plugin in the MOs settings. With this plugin enabled, during a mod installation, MO will pop up an option to extract the BSA file, but only if one exists in the mods package.  Even better, the most current versions of MO will automatically make a backup of the BSA after extraction, placing the BSA within its own backup folder inside the mods install file.  No more needing to do all this extra work extracting and backing up the BSA files.  MO will do all the work for you.

I hope @EssArrBee doesn't mind, but as I was going through the guide, I added a couple of points to it that say as much. Under the general section about BSA extraction I added that MO can automatically do this and then when a specific mod says to extract it after it is installed, I added a 'notice' that the BSA extractor plugin can also be used.

Everything can easily be reverted if I've overstepped but the onus shouldn't just fall on the authors to maintain these great guides. If we all like them then since they are wikis, we can help out. Can't we? ::):

From past nexus comments it seems EWI in particular doesn't get along with some of the other artists.  His style take a few more liberties with retextures, and when other artists comment on how he/she might change it, he really dislikes it and has a tendency to remove it once the comment thread reaches a certain point.