xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 111 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

12 minutes ago, sheson said:

Upload log files as attachment or paste to paste bin. See my signature.

The screenshots seem to show a problem with terrain. The log shows no terrain LOD generation, only tree and object LOD generation.

The MO2 load order does not seem to list an xLODGen output mod. The issue shown in the screenshot only happens with the xLODGen output enabled?
Test with default INI settings. I seem to also remember reports of mods causing this, unrelated to what tools was used to generate LOD / vanilla LOD.

See https://vivanewvegas.moddinglinked.com/lod.html

The game with 0 mods enabled still looks like this https://imgur.com/a/x86LWNV

Here is the log https://ufile.io/y8fqh60o

3 minutes ago, omeiago said:

The game with 0 mods enabled still looks like this https://imgur.com/a/x86LWNV

Here is the log https://ufile.io/y8fqh60o

Does "game with 0 mods enabled" mean, you kept the tree and object LOD generation shown in the FNVLODGen_log.txt - which was made with mods in the load order and thus does not match the load order with 0 mods enabled anymore?

Does "game with 0 mods enabled" mean vanilla INIs?

If you want to test xLODGen output with the vanilla game, then generate LOD for the vanilla game - including terrain LOD.

8 minutes ago, sheson said:

Does "game with 0 mods enabled" mean, you kept the tree and object LOD generation shown in the FNVLODGen_log.txt - which was made with mods in the load order and thus does not match the load order with 0 mods enabled anymore?

Does "game with 0 mods enabled" mean vanilla INIs?

If you want to test xLODGen output with the vanilla game, then generate LOD for the vanilla game - including terrain LOD.

I only disabled all mods from my mod organizer 2 and run the game. I didn't touch the INIs

Just generated LOD for the vanilla game and opened the game, basically it changed nothing the world is still a mess of grey blobs on the terrain. Is there a way to reverse the changes xLODGen did to FNV

I did followed the viva new vegas guide but nothing really changed

13 minutes ago, omeiago said:

I only disabled all mods from my mod organizer 2 and run the game. I didn't touch the INIs

Just generated LOD for the vanilla game and opened the game, basically it changed nothing the world is still a mess of grey blobs on the terrain. Is there a way to reverse the changes xLODGen did to FNV

I did followed the viva new vegas guide but nothing really changed

No log was provided for the new LOD generation.

The MO2 mod list shows no xLODGen output mod, no LOD Fixes and Improvements - NVSE mod, no FNVLODGen Resources mod, no Much Needed LOD mod, no Much Needed LOD fixed rocks color etc. 

The FNVLODGen_log.txt that was provided shows no FNVLODGen.esp being loaded, no MuchNeededLOD.esp being loaded etc.

xLODGen does not change anything. It generates LOD meshes and textures to the dedicated output folder - reported as C:\Output\ in the provided FNVLODGen_log.txt.
If this output is installed as mod in MO2, simply uninstalling the mod removes the meshes and textures again from the load order and everything is as before.

48 minutes ago, sheson said:

No log was provided for the new LOD generation.

The MO2 mod list shows no xLODGen output mod, no LOD Fixes and Improvements - NVSE mod, no FNVLODGen Resources mod, no Much Needed LOD mod, no Much Needed LOD fixed rocks color etc. 

The FNVLODGen_log.txt that was provided shows no FNVLODGen.esp being loaded, no MuchNeededLOD.esp being loaded etc.

xLODGen does not change anything. It generates LOD meshes and textures to the dedicated output folder - reported as C:\Output\ in the provided FNVLODGen_log.txt.
If this output is installed as mod in MO2, simply uninstalling the mod removes the meshes and textures again from the load order and everything is as before.

I did add those mods to see if it would fix my problem. Nothing changed. I disabled all of my mods and reinstalled FNV, that also changed nothing. I reverted the INIs files to their vanilla form. But the grey blobs continue to plague the landscape. I also tried deleting the C:\Output\ and it also changed nothing. Its like the game refuses to just go back to its original vanilla state. 

Here is the last xLODGen log I made https://ufile.io/6fcvsgjj

17 minutes ago, omeiago said:

I did add those mods to see if it would fix my problem. Nothing changed. I disabled all of my mods and reinstalled FNV, that also changed nothing. I reverted the INIs files to their vanilla form. But the grey blobs continue to plague the landscape. I also tried deleting the C:\Output\ and it also changed nothing. Its like the game refuses to just go back to its original vanilla state. 

Here is the last xLODGen log I made https://ufile.io/6fcvsgjj

The log you uploaded shows that tree and object LOD but no terrain LOD was generated. It shows that no FNVLODGen.esp and no MuchNeededLOD.esp are being loaded.

If files - like meshes and textures generated by xLODGen - do not exist (virtual or physically) in the load order (that means the data folder the game loads plugins and assets from), they can not affect the game. Random files in random folders outside of the mod manager and game folders - for example c:\output - can not affect the game.

MO2 stores the INIs in the the corresponding profiles folder. The INIs in the MO2 profile virtually replace the physical INI in located in C:\Users\...
That would be the INIs you would need to restore to default. The log shows that there also is a FalloutCustom.ini

30 minutes ago, sheson said:

The log you uploaded shows that tree and object LOD but no terrain LOD was generated. It shows that no FNVLODGen.esp and no MuchNeededLOD.esp are being loaded.

If files - like meshes and textures generated by xLODGen - do not exist (virtual or physically) in the load order (that means the data folder the game loads plugins and assets from), they can not affect the game. Random files in random folders outside of the mod manager and game folders - for example c:\output - can not affect the game.

MO2 stores the INIs in the the corresponding profiles folder. The INIs in the MO2 profile virtually replace the physical INI in located in C:\Users\...
That would be the INIs you would need to restore to default. The log shows that there also is a FalloutCustom.ini

I think I am starting to understand more of what I am doing, I didn't do the last part of the viva new vegas guide, that's on me. But still the problem persists, the landscape is still filled with those grey textures from my screenshots earlier.

As for the FNVLODGen.esp and MuchNeededLOD.esp I downloaded both mods already and enabled them with the previous log, but I think they weren't loading with the xLODGen due to them being hidden. Viva new vegas says that you need to hide them. 

Anyway, unhidding them didn't solve my problem here is the next Log from FNVLODGen https://ufile.io/vfi8ejfs

6 minutes ago, omeiago said:

I think I am starting to understand more of what I am doing, I didn't do the last part of the viva new vegas guide, that's on me. But still the problem persists, the landscape is still filled with those grey textures from my screenshots earlier.

As for the FNVLODGen.esp and MuchNeededLOD.esp I downloaded both mods already and enabled them with the previous log, but I think they weren't loading with the xLODGen due to them being hidden. Viva new vegas says that you need to hide them. 

Anyway, unhidding them didn't solve my problem here is the next Log from FNVLODGen https://ufile.io/vfi8ejfs

You reported that the problem happens with vanilla plugins and assets, BSAs etc. and default INIs.

Generating LOD meshes and textures with xLODGen will not change the game having some kind of issue.

4 minutes ago, sheson said:

You reported that the problem happens with vanilla plugins and assets, BSAs etc. and default INIs.

Generating LOD meshes and textures with xLODGen will not change the game having some kind of issue.

That last part I understand now, I am just confused in what to do now. 

I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT!!!

xLODGen does generate direclty into the FNV. Probably due to me using the xLODGenx64 or me not setting up the C:/output/. 

Either way, that is why even after I disabled all of my mods and used Vanilla INIs the game still had a glitched landscape.

So I fixed the problem by simply deleting the texture and meshes folder that generated inside the Data in FNV root folder

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Data

Hopefully if someone have the same problem I did this post can help

11 minutes ago, omeiago said:

I HAVE FIGURED IT OUT!!!

xLODGen does generate direclty into the FNV. Probably due to me using the xLODGenx64 or me not setting up the C:/output/. 

Either way, that is why even after I disabled all of my mods and used Vanilla INIs the game still had a glitched landscape.

So I fixed the problem by simply deleting the texture and meshes folder that generated inside the Data in FNV root folder

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas\Data

Hopefully if someone have the same problem I did this post can help

You uploaded 3 FNVLODGen_log.txt. All of them show the output folder was c:\output
It is one of the first things I check. Can not help if information is not provided.

As explained on the first post, in the Readme.txt includes in the download archive:
Always set -o:"c:\OutputPath\" command line argument to change where files are generated to. The default is the game folder which risks replacing existing files and is problematic with mod managers, especially if they use some kind of virtualization. Do not generate into any game or any mod manager folders that are part (direct or indirect) of the virtual file system. Do not generate into the Overwrite folder of MO2. Install the output as a mod.

Posted (edited)

Having good results, no issues or complaints on Skyrim SE.

Spoiler

8327931-1715367434.png

I've already posted my full settings and the above image on Nexus Mods, but I'll post them here too, to save people an off-site trip.

Spoiler

Total Size of SSELODGen Outputs w/ These Settings:
0Y0CG9e.png

LOD4:

JIpoF5j.png

LOD8:

t11Tr1h.png

LOD16:

aIEev0c.png

LOD32:

iZQZP9B.png

Misc Settings (pretend I actually remembered to check Solsthiem, because I forgot to when I screenshotted):

Zptmmcz.png

Edited by KaptainCnucklz

3 hours ago, KaptainCnucklz said:

Reveal hidden contents

I've already posted my full settings and the above image on Nexus Mods, but I'll post them here too, to save people an off-site trip.

Reveal hidden contents

Off site posts are welcome, but posting within context of the subject material is always a good thing ... to easily tie it all together.

6 hours ago, KaptainCnucklz said:

Hide contents

8327931-1715367434.png

Hide contents

Total Size of SSELODGen Outputs w/ These Settings:
0Y0CG9e.png

LOD4:

JIpoF5j.png

LOD8:

t11Tr1h.png

LOD16:

aIEev0c.png

LOD32:

iZQZP9B.png

Misc Settings (pretend I actually remembered to check Solsthiem, because I forgot to when I screenshotted):

Zptmmcz.png

It is a waste of time to generate object LOD and tree with xLODGen for Skyrim. Use DynDOLOD.

Why are you generating the terrain height map? Did a mod come out hat uses it?

https://dyndolod.info/Help/xLODGen#Generating-Terrain-LOD-Textures
For all LOD4, LOD8, LOD16 and LOD32 set both Format drop-downs to BC7 Quick if available or DXT1 if not or in case video memory usage is of concern. Using BC7 Max will typically only make generation time take much longer without any visual improvement.

MipMap should only be enabled for LOD4 and the Build diffuse. The game does not use mipmaps for higher LOD levels and never for terrain LOD normalmap textures.
Generating MipMaps for higher LOD levels or the normal map texture is just wasting time and resources.

Set a small resolution like 32 or 16 for both Default size drop-downs. If video memory is of concern set 4.
This is to minimize textures for outer regions areas for which no terrain textures or normals are defined. The player can get near them and by default the map has a cloud cover for these areas.

On 5/15/2024 at 12:54 AM, sheson said:

It is a waste of time to generate object LOD and tree with xLODGen for Skyrim. Use DynDOLOD.

I didn't have DynDOLOD set up at the time and wanted to let xLODGen handle it, out of curiosity to see how it'd do.

On 5/15/2024 at 12:54 AM, sheson said:

Why are you generating the terrain height map? Did a mod come out hat uses it?

No, I must've checked it on accident and forgot to uncheck it. Oops.

Appreciate the other advice too btw. I'm not especially tech savvy so I'm always open to it.