Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

Looking through a new FLNV build in FNVEdit, and I noticed a few small problems that you might want to address in the build page:

1.  Interior Lighting Overhaul - numerous image and acoustic spaces are being overridden by mods like Lauren's Bathroom Poetry and Vault 22 Flora.  Most easily fixed in WyreFlash by adding Cell.ImageSpace and Cell.Acoustic tags to Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esm.

2.  In my LOOT order, mapmarkers.esp was loading last, and overriding climate data from Nevada Skies.  I fixed this by telling LOOT to load Nevada Skies Ultimate DLC Edition.esp AFTER mapmarkers.esp.  You could probably also just add a Cell.Climate tag to Nevada Skies in BASH.

3.  Using the Weapon Retexture Project version of the unique Christine sniper rifle totally overrides the WMX modded version, but the bash patch tries to merge the two, not entirely successfully.   Looking at the records, I think I prefer the WMX moddability to the WRP eye candy, so I removed the WRP Christine patch (christinecos.esp).   If you want to keep the WRP version, you may want to look at the BASH merge of record 032110ba to see if it's okay.

4.  There are numerous level list conflicts between GRA - The Right to Bear arms and everyone else, because GRA-TRTBA sometimes replaces whole lists with its own sublists and the set the 'UseAll' flag, while BASH goes back in, adds everything back that BRA removed, and includes the 'UseAll' flag  (e.g. 0002e2a6 WastelanderApparel, 000609dc CondPrewarBusinesswearDirty, 00ccf86 LootAmmoNVBullets10, etc).  This will totally screw all users of the list, who will suddenly get everything on the old list, plus entries from TRTBA.

This can be mostly fixed by adding Bash tags Deflst, Delev, and Relev to GRA - The Right to Bear Arms, and telling LOOT to load TRTBA after everything else - in my run, after ADAM Complete.esp.  There is still one bad bashed list - 00f1b11 CondNVTrooperHelmet , which adds stuff from TrooperOverhaul-Dragbody.esp - but it's a whole lot better than it was.

However, I think the better solution is to tell LOOT to load GRA - The Right To Bear Arms.esp AFTER Bashed Patch,0.esp, so that it's level lists override everything.  Note, however, that LOOT will only do this if the Bashed Patch does not refer to TRTBA; if the bashed patch already does so, the solution is to use MO to manually change the order, then rebuild the bashed patch, THEN edit LOOT metadata.

That's all I have for the moment, though I'm sure I will find more issues soon enough.   Many thanks for everyone contributing to FLNV; it's made my task of getting back into FNV a *lot* easier!

-- Galen

Looking through a new FLNV build in FNVEdit, and I noticed a few small problems that you might want to address in the build page:

1.  Interior Lighting Overhaul - numerous image and acoustic spaces are being overridden by mods like Lauren's Bathroom Poetry and Vault 22 Flora.  Most easily fixed in WyreFlash by adding Cell.ImageSpace and Cell.Acoustic tags to Interior Lighting Overhaul - Core.esm.

I thought those tags were for the beta version of Wrye only. I'll check it out since I hadn't even noticed they were added to the release version.

2.  In my LOOT order, mapmarkers.esp was loading last, and overriding climate data from Nevada Skies.  I fixed this by telling LOOT to load Nevada Skies Ultimate DLC Edition.esp AFTER mapmarkers.esp.  You could probably also just add a Cell.Climate tag to Nevada Skies in BASH.

I'm testing Realistic Wasteland Lighting right now and I load it last, so I hadn't noticed. Thanks for reporting that.

3.  Using the Weapon Retexture Project version of the unique Christine sniper rifle totally overrides the WMX modded version, but the bash patch tries to merge the two, not entirely successfully.   Looking at the records, I think I prefer the WMX moddability to the WRP eye candy, so I removed the WRP Christine patch (christinecos.esp).   If you want to keep the WRP version, you may want to look at the BASH merge of record 032110ba to see if it's okay.

I've had this issue brought up many times. If you want to use the WRP unique version which does not exist in the game, then leave the christinecos.esp. The vanilla version is just a copy of the vanilla rifle with a different name, so either have the WMX one or the WRP one. I went with the WRP one since it's a unique weapon and WRP makes it unique. There are a ton of other weapons in the game that WMX makes moddable that weren't before.

4.  There are numerous level list conflicts between GRA - The Right to Bear arms and everyone else, because GRA-TRTBA sometimes replaces whole lists with its own sublists and the set the 'UseAll' flag, while BASH goes back in, adds everything back that BRA removed, and includes the 'UseAll' flag  (e.g. 0002e2a6 WastelanderApparel, 000609dc CondPrewarBusinesswearDirty, 00ccf86 LootAmmoNVBullets10, etc).  This will totally screw all users of the list, who will suddenly get everything on the old list, plus entries from TRTBA.

I've wanted to address this because the big issue is Trooper Beta Overhaul Distributed and TRTBA. It's mostly the technique that Puce Moose used to achieve the distribution of stuff in TRTBA. I'd make a patch myself, but I was almost considering removing TRTBA since it makes some weapons to easy to obtain.

This can be mostly fixed by adding Bash tags Deflst, Delev, and Relev to GRA - The Right to Bear Arms, and telling LOOT to load TRTBA after everything else - in my run, after ADAM Complete.esp.  There is still one bad bashed list - 00f1b11 CondNVTrooperHelmet , which adds stuff from TrooperOverhaul-Dragbody.esp - but it's a whole lot better than it was.

LOOT should have all those tags, but I think there is some tags that still get applied to Wrye from LOOT. I remember adding many tags for this stuff myself a while ago. I don't there is a fix with tagging though, it is something I'd have to make myself.

However, I think the better solution is to tell LOOT to load GRA - The Right To Bear Arms.esp AFTER Bashed Patch,0.esp, so that it's level lists override everything.  Note, however, that LOOT will only do this if the Bashed Patch does not refer to TRTBA; if the bashed patch already does so, the solution is to use MO to manually change the order, then rebuild the bashed patch, THEN edit LOOT metadata.

Maybe this would work, but I would have to look it over myself to see what you are seeing. There are a lot of leveled list changes that I remember TRTBA making that I would have to look at again. Some of them were leveled lists that reference other leveled lists that Puce Moose created, but that mess up the stuff that Trooper Overhaul is trying to achieve.

That's all I have for the moment, though I'm sure I will find more issues soon enough.   Many thanks for everyone contributing to FLNV; it's made my task of getting back into FNV a *lot* easier!

Cool, I always welcome feedback.

-- Galen

Re: conflicts between Trooper Overhaul and GRA - The Right to Bear Arms.  No question, these two mods totally conflict, and there's no way of easily reconciling them - it would need a hand-crafted patch.  The suggestion I made obviously totally overwrites the Trooper Overhaul, but it's still better than having a trooper carry *everything* from an Overhaul leveled list, which is what a default Bash patch will produce.

I hadn't realized that TRTBA allowed me to get good stuff too easily; since that's the case, I think I'm just going to remove it from this playthrough.

Regarding Christine, if someone really wants the WRP version without anything from WMX, then christinecos.esp either needs some extra Bash tags, or else be loaded after the Bash patch.

And thanks for the quick reply!

Here's a little something I cooked up for cellHUD and Vault Girl. I'm trying to convey that they don't have to be installed together, so hopefully everyone people read the description.

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:EssArrBee/User:EssArrBee/FalloutNewVegas_OptionalHUDandUI

I'll probably stick it on the end of UI section of maybe right at the end of the guide since this stuff is completely safe to install/uninstall. 

Regarding GRA TRTBA, I'm having a similar issue to you, EssArrBee, as you reported on that mod's thread, a few months (years?) ago -- my Freeside Thugs have one of EVERY melee item in their inventory. 

I checked, and the Delev tag isn't added in Wrye Flash (as you recommended to Puce).  Do I just need to add that tag, myself, to fix the issue, or do I need to edit the mod in GECK and uncheck the 'Use All' option?  I think my Kings also had an excessive amount of items in their inventory, so methinks that the Delev tag might correct a whole slew of related issues, but I'm still learning about tagging mods, so don't want to mess around with something that might have massive repercussions.

Cheers ....

Is it worth modifying the guide with some of these instructions to improve the way this (and other) mod(s) work with the bashed patch - or is this expected to be resolved by LOOT soon?

I don't know. I'll have to ask Sharlikran and WrinklyNinja. My hope is that WrinklyNinja adds it to Wrye soon enough. One thing that anyone can do is find the Wrye Bash tagger script. There is a thread here on the STEP forums in the xEdit support forum, but I don't know if it is up to date.