Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

The change seemed to indicate that it was more of a update to the functions it listed then adding anything new. 16.5 just corrected a bug that was part of 16.4. Nothing really major about it, but I did notice that my bashed patch generated much faster. That is always welcome when you test as much as I do.

Weathers Family Sandboxy might be a worthwhile candidate. I've added it into the 'Merged Fixes' section of my install, so it doesn't take up a plugin slot.  It simply adds a sandbox package to the Weathers family, upon their reaching the Mormon fort, so they don't just huddle in a group for the rest of the game.  Everything seems to be merged properly in the Bashed patch, though a few facegen changes need to be forwarded (or tags added to have it merged properl y-- but I'm still learning how to do that).

Small little immersion mod.  Curious if could/should (might?) be added into F&L ...

Now that MO v1.2.17 is out and includes the ability to install mods that would normally be installed by other installers (or whatever it does...), should we be deleting that Nexus Client CLI file from the "NCC" folder that we installed previously in order to allow MO to handle such mods?

EDIT: I already installed the new version of MO and I checked your guide and no longer see anything about the Nexus Client CLI, so I'm guessing we should delete it.

EDIT2: Oh wait... I notice that it is in the new MO package.  Is it just that MO now includes that same file now, whereas before you had to install it separately?  OK, so I shouldn't delete it because the new MO overwrote the file I had there already...

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Weathers Family Sandboxy might be a worthwhile candidate. I've added it into the 'Merged Fixes' section of my install, so it doesn't take up a plugin slot.  It simply adds a sandbox package to the Weathers family, upon their reaching the Mormon fort, so they don't just huddle in a group for the rest of the game.  Everything seems to be merged properly in the Bashed patch, though a few facegen changes need to be forwarded (or tags added to have it merged properl y-- but I'm still learning how to do that).

Small little immersion mod.  Curious if could/should (might?) be added into F&L ...

I'll take a look at it. I like little mods like that.

Now that MO v1.2.17 is out and includes the ability to install mods that would normally be installed by other installers (or whatever it does...), should we be deleting that Nexus Client CLI file from the "NCC" folder that we installed previously in order to allow MO to handle such mods?

EDIT: I already installed the new version of MO and I checked your guide and no longer see anything about the Nexus Client CLI, so I'm guessing we should delete it.

EDIT2: Oh wait... I notice that it is in the new MO package.  Is it just that MO now includes that same file now, whereas before you had to install it separately?  OK, so I shouldn't delete it because the new MO overwrote the file I had there already...

The old installed didn't add new files it replaced the NexuxClientCLI.exe included in MO. Just install the new MO by overwriting the existing one and it will be fine. 

Hey EssArrBee, you still wanting a list of weapons/armors? I went full ****** searching for something specific and got gobs of stuff. As far as weapons go, something that the guide is sorely lacking is melee weapons. Though with how unimportant they are you may not want to make a page or include them.

Edited by Livnthedream

Hey EssArrBee, you still wanting a list of weapons/armors? I went full ****** searching for something specific and got gobs of stuff. As far as weapons go, something that the guide is sorely lacking is melee weapons. Though with how unimportant they are you may not want to make a page or include them.

Just make a list of what you think should be it's own page. Not sure that I want to test a lot more weapons when I need to move on to other stuff. If you want to test then out I'm sure the it wouldn't mess up anything in your current playthrough, just copy that profile and add the weapons.

Does anybody else have problems with the textures for the Lucky Revolver? Looks strange!? :huh:

I'll look into it later if I get a chance.

Just make a list of what you think should be it's own page. Not sure that I want to test a lot more weapons when I need to move on to other stuff. If you want to test then out I'm sure the it wouldn't mess up anything in your current playthrough, just copy that profile and add the weapons.

Yeah I am testing pretty thoroughly before I actually start playing. My biggest issue with most of the weapons/armors is balance/placement. There are some pretty cool weapons that are balanced in ways that make zero sense thematically. I think the worse offenders though are the Maibatsu weapons that are all crafted. Most of them should be hand placed, or just given leveled list support. I plan on testing my merge patches out in game, then figuring out where/how I want to distribute weapons out. Armors are a similar if stickier boat, mostly because I plan on cheating myself some style armor to start with. Clothes make the man as they say. :P

Most things are merging down pretty easily/well. Started with 362 esp/esm files, currently down to 240. Pretty sure I will need to cut some stuff, but I will cross that bridge when come to it. Some stuff just takes too many patches to be worth the effect, like Impact.

I know the suggestion for this project doesn't use NMM, but I've been using it since the get go and am not sure what would happen if I attempted to hot swap to another mod manager mid stream, is there any reason I couldn't? I imagine I would have to reinstall each mod individually and so on?

My issue is this; I would really love to use the ADAM pack because I am a huge fan and very grateful for all the trouble that was gone through to merge down the ESPs, but I simply cannot get it to install with NMM. Attempting to activate the mod returns an error:

Failure
A problem occured during install:
The Element 'plugin' has incomplete content. List of possible elements expected: 'typeDescriptor'.

The mod was not installed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I know the Complete readme mentions in it's changelog that NMM compatability was added, that it should work with NMM but it does not for me. I tried re-downloading the package as well, still the same error when I attempt to activate the mod via NMM.

Edited by Zeigeist

I won't speak as to the recommendation of F&L but the sooner you switch from NMM to MO the better. You will never again have the issue of messing things up because you installed ModA before ModB or changing your mind later and wanting TexturePackA over TexturePackB. NMM, like all managers before it, installs directly into the Data folder and therefore files get overwritten. MO doesn't work that way. You can safely install all the mods in any order you want and then manage them to ensure you get the correct textures or sounds or meshes or scripts or whatever and never worry again about doing a re-install because you messed up the last time.

As far as I'm concerned the time it takes you to re-install your mods under the care of MO is made up for 10 times over afterward.

Will the initial change over be difficult? Possibly. Will you need to learn new ways of doing things? Definitely. Will your system be free of all errors? More likely than not. Will it be easier for the STEP members to assist you? Yes.

... In addition to using LOOT (for general plugin ordering), Wrye Flash (for bashed patching), and FNVEdit (to clean dirty edits from mods; it can also be used to further fine-tune compatibility and plugin properties if you so desire.. and if you invest the time to learn how to use it for that).

Edited by oqhansoloqo

I thank you both for the advice, I am familiar with using LOOT (though not as big a fan as I was of BOSS, I understand the two don't work the same way, I just find that LOOT overlooks a lot of easy conflicts), Wrye and FNVEdit. I'll definitely take swapping over to MO under advisement but for right now I am mid playthrough on a long game that is very stable at about 130 mods and really don't want to change to a new system in the middle of that.

Next time I restart I'd be much more willing to start from scratch with a new system. Not stubborness, simply more pragmatic in my opinion.

That said, does anyone happen to know why I cannot get the mod to activate correctly using NMM, what is causing the error, some kind of work around and/or any other experience regarding the situation?

Not really sure but from the terms you list in the post: 

The Element 'plugin' has incomplete content. List of possible elements expected: 'typeDescriptor'

it looks to me like NMM might be baulking at the script. Is it possible to manually install it?