Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

Hello, I've been following this guide, I'm at the WAR Enhanced Camera Compatibility patch. I've got both main files. The manual downloads I dragged and dropped into the MO2 downloads folder, and now they show up on the MO2 menu. I could install them automatically, but I'd rather follow the instructions. However, the installation instructions don't make sense to me. I try manual install, but there's no data folder to set as. These instructions are unlike any of the previous ones on the list. It says:

Install the Release 2 - 2hand Rifle Reanimations file first.During installation, expand "Release 2 - 2handrifle animations->Raw Files".Right click "Data" and select "Set data directory", then click [OK].
Install the Release 3 - 2hand auto reanimations - v2 with animated fingers file next.During installation, expanded "Release 3 - 2handauto update v2.0->2handauto v2.0->Data".Right click "Data" and select "Create Directory", then name it NVSE.Right click "NVSE" and select "Create Directory", then name it Plugins.Drag and drop "NVSE_EnhancedCamera.ini" into "Plugins".Right click "Data" and select "Set data directory", then click [OK].When asked select [Merge], not [Replace].

I think the files have been updated since these instructions were written. Can someone explain to me whats going on here?

Edited by DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

Hello, I've been following this guide, I'm at the WAR Enhanced Camera Compatibility patch. I've got both main files. The manual downloads I dragged and dropped into the MO2 downloads folder, and now they show up on the MO2 menu. I could install them automatically, but I'd rather follow the instructions. However, the installation instructions don't make sense to me. I try manual install, but there's no data folder to set as. These instructions are unlike any of the previous ones on the list. It says:

Install the Release 2 - 2hand Rifle Reanimations file first.During installation, expand "Release 2 - 2handrifle animations->Raw Files".Right click "Data" and select "Set data directory", then click [OK].
Install the Release 3 - 2hand auto reanimations - v2 with animated fingers file next.During installation, expanded "Release 3 - 2handauto update v2.0->2handauto v2.0->Data".Right click "Data" and select "Create Directory", then name it NVSE.Right click "NVSE" and select "Create Directory", then name it Plugins.Drag and drop "NVSE_EnhancedCamera.ini" into "Plugins".Right click "Data" and select "Set data directory", then click [OK].When asked select [Merge], not [Replace].

I think the files have been updated since these instructions were written. Can someone explain to me whats going on here?

These files havent' been updated since 2014, so no, you're probably doing something wrong.

Screenshot your process.

The instructions don't match with the context menu's that I've been using and have been instructed to use for every single other mod.

post-13536-0-87194800-1543969969_thumb.png

There is no actual data folder. Am I supposed to make one? The instructions should have said so. After this screenshot, I did create the two directories you're told to create, but I couldn't drag and drop an .ini file into this context window:

post-13536-0-90290200-1543970273_thumb.png

Edited by DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr

Uhhhh

You don't drag the .ini on the menu lol

You drag it into the actual folder location via file explorer or through filetree, you should've noticed while installing the mod that the data folder was already set so you didn't need to create one.  Just the other instructions were needed to be done.

Edited by ZidanReign
  • +1 1

But it wasn't dude! Look at my screen shot, I have all menus open, and there's no data folder. I mean there's the very top branch <data> but that's not a directory, right? I could have sworn every other mod I set up had an actual folder named Data... sorry, I'm a newb.

because they were setup incorrectly

if the mod folder is setup correctly, then it shows straight inside the data folder which should hold the meshes, textures, esp etc...

I recently finished the Fear & Loathing guide after feeling like I wanted to play New Vegas again. Everything seemed to go well until yesterday where I finished the guide and launched the game to edit settings in the MCM menu. I realised textures weren't showing up, even though they did last time I launched the game (which was after merging he gameplay mods and before the FNVLODGen part). I had encountered this problem before a few years ago, where only certain textures would load (the Prospector Salloon sign would load, but roads wouldn't for example). This was easily fixed by downloading the archive invalidation tool from the nexus, which generates an archive invalidation file.

When I tried this method this time however, nothing changed. I also noticed how my fallout.ini file was on read-only (is it supposed to be after finishing the guide? I can't remember doing this). I disabled read-only and noticed the archive invalidation tool would say something like "Archive invalidation succesful" after enabling it, yet the status would still be [disabled]. I noticed that the main menu screen does say "NMC texture pack for New Vegas", yet the actual textures don't show up. Gameplay mods seem to work fine, it's just the texture mods having problems. Could this be the result of making mistakes while optimizing the modded textures? I'm sure I follow the steps correctly, although, I did use the batch files 2.8 and not 2.76 (since the guide for optimizing vanilla fallout textures recommended that version). While optimizing the texture mods, I left out 'PocoBueno' since it was stated this mod doesn't respond well to texture optimization. I also haven't removed the folders in the 'data/working' folder after optimizing the texture mods.

Anybody got a rough Idea what the cause of this problem could be? I'll provide as much relevant info as I can.

• Plugin list: https://pastebin.com/vgrDhmnh
  • Mods: I'm solely using all mods from the F&L guide, with the exception of the mods in the 'Additional Weapons' section.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by AvoidAtAIICosts

Are you using MO or MO2, if MO I remember you have to make sure the archives are being handled on the archives tab automatically and have them all checked for textures to load properly (there's also built in archive invalidation in MO remove that tool you downloaded and remove the file it generated.)  Can't remember if MO2 has to do this too since i don't have a F&L install atm.

Edited by ZidanReign

I'm still using Mod Organizer 1.3.x with the Fear and Loathing and Clear and Present Danger guides.. All I had to is go to Profile (the contact card icon at the top left), select the appropriate profile, check Automatic archive invalidation, and click OK. Also in the right pane, click the Archive tab, ensure "Have MO manage archives" is checked and all of the BSAs in the list are checked.

If you are using Mod Organizer 2, be aware that BSA archives are not managed. This means you must have an ESM or ESP with the same name as the BSA file in order for the BSA to be used by the game. I think the majority of the texture mods are stored as loose file, but there are a few BSAs without an associated ESM or ESP you'll need to deal with if you are using Mod Organizer 2.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, rebuilding New Vegas again and looking for some advice;  

WMIM looks extremely tempting.  I am loathe to get rid of EVE primarily, and to a lesser extent WAR / WotNM / WMX.  Do I have any options here or is it pretty much either / or?

Probably going with Mojave Arsenal over CaliberX.

Interested in Asurah's animation pack and will likely be using Solid Project, as I still have a download from when it was available.  I'm assuming Asurah's animations will also conflict with WMIM...

I don't mind the idea of just letting go of WMX + WotNM... WMX is a nice addition to the game but if it basically comes at the cost of a million bugfixes from WMIM - I mean, the base game has a decent weapon modding system, and honestly that was never a huge feature for me.  

WotNM is a little tougher, I would prefer to keep it for the most part but if I understand correctly it requires WAR for the ironsights?

Was also considering using Mono's WotNM rebalance plugin, but I'm not sure how dependent that is on things like WMX / EVE

I guess basically it's the conflict between animations and WMIM that I'm primarily concerned about and wondering if there are any options for.

Enhanced Camera + Solid Project really do by themselves enhance the overall experience of playing New Vegas, and Immersive recoil / Diagonal Movement / B42 Weapon Inertia (not 1million percent they all work together, this is the plan I'm pontificating) go even further...