Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

I'm having problems getting iron sights to work with Enhanced Camera.  Basically, the sights never line up in first person, always being low and to the right, though when I zoom out to 3rd, it *looks* like everything is lined up properly.  I've reinstalled EC and WAR and the EC-specific WAR animations a couple of times. but no joy.  This doesn't happen on *every* weapon; a few seem to work fine.

Also, in one new game, I got a double pair of hands - a perfectly alighned iron sight (the standard 1st person animation), and a second set that held the weapon low and to the right.   But after holstering the weapon and re-drawing it, I got the same mis-aligned sights that I was used to.

Looking back in this forum, I see that that other people have apparently also had WAR/EC issues as well, but can't find detailed explanations of the problem or the solutions.   Presuming that other people are getting iron sights to work with the standard FLNV setup, can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong, and how to fix it?  Thanks!

I think I've finally stumbled onto the BSA problem. It has to do with the the greyed out BSAs. Those have explicitly matching names to their corresponding plugin so MO loads them automatically or something. The only that aren't greyed out and have check boxes have no issues.

Try it out. Add back your BSAs until the game won't start. Then change one of the names of the greyed out BSAs by adding something to the end of it's name, so for example Afterschool Special.bsa->Afterschool Special - I love tacos.bsa. The game will then load.

You've cracked it! That is exactly what happens.

I added back a bunch of bsas and I couldn't start. Renamed Advanced Recon Tech.bsa and tried again and... success. It also doesn't matter if the renamed bsa is checked in the archive tab or not, so long as the name doesn't match a plugin the game loads just fine.

So are you saying that none of the BSAs in MO actually have to be extracted if after a certain limited number of them you go and rename the rest of them to names that don't exactly match their associated plugin name?  It that's true, then that's f'd...  What kind of retarded crap is that (for it to actually work that way)?  lol

Does it benefit us in any way to go about renaming BSAs instead of extracting the files from them, like will we get better FPS or anything like that?

So are you saying that none of the BSAs in MO actually have to be extracted if after a certain limited number of them you go and rename the rest of them to names that don't exactly match their associated plugin name?  It that's true, then that's f'd...  What kind of retarded crap is that (for it to actually work that way)?  lol

Does it benefit us in any way to go about renaming BSAs instead of extracting the files from them, like will we get better FPS or anything like that?

No, I'm just saying that I have narrowed down the bug. I know where to point Tannin to, so he can change it and we don't have to extract any BSAs if he can fix it.

Great work finding the issue with the BSAs, SRB!

But won't renaming the BSAs make their resources inaccessible to their associated plugins, or will the plugin have to be edited to point to the new bsa archives?

Don't mess with anything. I should have said that I found away around a bug, not that anyone should do anything about it though. I just now know where to draw Tannin's attention so he doesn't have to endlessly search around in code for it. Hopefully, it is something that can be changed and a future update of MO will allow for the use of all BSAs without problem.

The new bashed patch instructions are way better, thanks EssArrBee. I have a question though - when you update the guide to list new mods, what's the general routine for adding them to a game setup which followed a previous version? Is it better to totally redo the whole thing, or is it okay to just install them over, then LOOT/update bashed patch? I assume it depends on the type of mod, right?

Oh, also I noticed that in the intro to the guide, the hyperlink in "This guide also has an official thread here." links to the old thread instead of this current one. Just a minor thing but thought I'd mention. Thank you ever so much for your continued work on this!

The new bashed patch instructions are way better, thanks EssArrBee. I have a question though - when you update the guide to list new mods, what's the general routine for adding them to a game setup which followed a previous version? Is it better to totally redo the whole thing, or is it okay to just install them over, then LOOT/update bashed patch? I assume it depends on the type of mod, right?

Oh, also I noticed that in the intro to the guide, the hyperlink in "This guide also has an official thread here." links to the old thread instead of this current one. Just a minor thing but thought I'd mention. Thank you ever so much for your continued work on this!

Updating is tricky depending on what type of mod. If it doesn't have a plugin then it can be added in no problem. If it is something that is part of a section with merging instructions then it should be left alone until you start a new playthrough. Mods that add items to the game are usually okay to install without problems as long as they don't affect a quest. Gameplay mods should not be messed with during a playthrough because they can add stuff to saves. if you do mess with the load order, yes you need to redo LOOT and Bash.

It does depend on the mod.  For instance - if you are installing a mod that only adds meshes and textures, then you don't even have to make a bashed patch again.  All you have to do is install the mod and then you can continue playing a saved game with the new changes.  With plugins or plugins with scripts, it depends.  Some you would need to recreate your bashed patch for.  Some you would need to start a new game to start using.  And some you wouldn't be able to remove once you save a game with them installed.  Oh, and there are some programs out there that you can get and run that can clean save games and actually remove remnants of uninstalled mods, but sometimes those don't work right.  It really depends on how the mod works that you are trying to implement or remove.  That's all I know.

EDIT: or rather, what SRB said in the previous post.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Don't mess with anything. I should have said that I found away around a bug, not that anyone should do anything about it though. I just now know where to draw Tannin's attention so he doesn't have to endlessly search around in code for it. Hopefully, it is something that can be changed and a future update of MO will allow for the use of all BSAs without problem.

Thanks for the clarification.

Drumber did a LOD noise texture that is amazing. It isn't released so you can get it from his blog. https://drumbermods.tumblr.com

Just click the HD LOD Noise part. It really looks nice, an upgrade from the one that is already in F&L which I thought was quite nice already and waaaaaaaaaay better than the vanilla.

Very nice improvement! :thumbsup: