Fear and Loathing in New Vegas - Feedback

Why are graphic artists so touchy? Everything is such a hassle with them. 

Its most creators really.

As for Ewi65, he is a giant attention *****. He has gotten into it a couple of times now with Millennia. The first time I know of Millennia hopped into one of his New Vegas threads to point out how he screwed up a texture, and basically told him to stop spamming the Nexus, because single pages for fire hydrants and other random stuff is dumb. The second time Millennia gave him a warning for pulling textures from an online texture resource without credit after Ewi went spamming Skyrim Nexus in a similar fashion. Ewi threw a fit and pulled all of his Skyrim mods, but within a week or two he was back re releasing stuff.

Personally, I would have less issues with Ewi if more of his work was at least decent. His rocks/tent textures are good, but the rest of it is meh at best. Like that Gecko retexture he released today is just wrong. You can do a great deal with filter work, but holy **** that is not how you do it. Similar to his defending of his moon texture by saying "Its from a photo!" when its from a photo taken from the Apollo space craft. Using a view of the moon that we couldn't possible see as your reference is just bad work.

• +1 1

As for Ewi65, he is a giant attention *****. He has gotten into it a couple of times now with Millennia. The first time I know of Millennia hopped into one of his New Vegas threads to point out how he screwed up a texture, and basically told him to stop spamming the Nexus, because single pages for fire hydrants and other random stuff is dumb. The second time Millennia gave him a warning for pulling textures from an online texture resource without credit after Ewi went spamming Skyrim Nexus in a similar fashion. Ewi threw a fit and pulled all of his Skyrim mods, but within a week or two he was back re releasing stuff.

Personally, I would have less issues with Ewi if more of his work was at least decent. His rocks/tent textures are good, but the rest of it is meh at best. Like that Gecko retexture he released today is just wrong. You can do a great deal with filter work, but holy **** that is not how you do it. Similar to his defending of his moon texture by saying "Its from a photo!" when its from a photo taken from the Apollo space craft. Using a view of the moon that we couldn't possible see as your reference is just bad work.

yeah, I don't want all his stuff. I just want to look at a few things here and there. I really just want the Lonesome Road textures since there are two sets of rocks in LR and only one is from the vanilla game and the other is LR only.Most of his stuff looks like it's designed for the ENB filter crowd. I like ENB as much as the next guy, but I'm much more on the natural side of ENB color correction than I am on the other side with all that saturation.

Anyways, last night I installed Cell HUD and Vault Girl and CellHUD/Vault Girl patch to see what's up with it. I really like what CellHUD is trying to accomplish. The graphics are very well done and I might do an optional UI look for people that want it. There is no plugin for cellHUD so it's safe to install and uninstall if you don't like it. Same thing with Vault Girl. I switch between male and female each playthrough to keep it consistent and Vault girl is really well done for the ladies. It does change the part on the pip boy that says pip boy to pip girl so it conflicts with the pip boy retex since it's just a minor change to the vanilla texture. I actually like the vanilla texture though when I was playing last night. I'm always reminded just how good professionals are considering how old the game is now. 

I've been testing Dire Contraptions for too long, it's time to add it in. It has a grenade that releases a Cazador, no really. Also, there is a bunch of poison darts that work with the dart pistol and dart rifle. Other than that I tested some more Yuki mods. That section is getting a bit out of hand, so it will need it's own page. I like to keep the guide somewhat in check lengthwise because of page load times. I'll also add the two new Millenia weapons and there is still one more energy weapon I might add. Just keep forgetting to go test it.

There is some other stuff I'd like to address in terms of formatting some users have brought up, but I won't go into that to much. I'll just come up with something and add it.

As a graphics artist I would like to point out how difficult the job is. It's easy to criticize EWI's work. If you know how to do it then I urge you to do so; since you know how not to do it. I have uploaded single textures before and I have a reason for doing so. Texturing is a lot of work. Sometimes you just want peoples opinions before you make one large pack.

I will say I am biased here because EWI is my friend and he helped me a lot when I was learning how to texture. I for one think he is a great texture artist. If you differ that's fine. I just don't think it's fair to classify an entire group of artists as "touchy."

Edited by Audley
  • +1 1

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:EssArrBee/FalloutNewVegas#Creating_a_Bashed_Patch

I just redid the bashed patch section to see if that works a bit better for peeps. Also, added on tweak to the repair price. It's kinda weird that it cost more to repair something than to buy it brand new. I recommend to lower the multiplier from 2.0 to 1.5 to make it a little less of a cap dump.

As a graphics artist I would like to point out how difficult the job is. It's easy to criticize EWI's work. If you know how to do it then I urge you to do so; since you know how not to do it. I have uploaded single textures before and I have a reason for doing so. Texturing is a lot of work. Sometimes you just want peoples opinions before you make one large pack.

I will say I am biased here because EWI is my friend and he helped me a lot when I was learning how to texture. I for one think he is a great texture artist. If you differ that's fine. I just don't think it's fair to classify an entire group of artists as "touchy."

Don't be so touchy, audley!  ::P:

I don't know EWI and have only heard some stuff about him from other people since I haven't really used his mods. I do know graphic artists though and have only come across a couple that weren't a bit nutty. Artists are just wired differently. If you met me in real life then you'd say the same thing since professors and mathematicians in general are bonkers. It's just what creators are, we see the world in a different way and sometimes other people don't fit that vision. 

"Go through the left side and click each tag one at a time and stop at Global."

Do we want to check Globals also?  (Are we stopping on Globals or before Globals?)

I also don't see anything in the revised instructions about unchecking "Fallout.esm" under "Import Names".  Are we no longer supposed to do that part?

Alright, I fixed it up.

I also should be up to 15 mods in the Yuki Gameplay Tweaks section with the update I have coming up, which will make it longer than the Millenia's additional weapons, so it's about time to put that one on a separate page. I'll update the Millenia page first before I do that though.

*bump*

Alright I think this may a problem of wording on my part. I'll fix it when I look over something.

The addition Millenia weapon's page is done being updated. Remember you can't redo merges in the middle of a playthrough without losing any of these guns in your inventory.

LOL. Sorry :P I didn't mean to sound so upset. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. 

On another note: how is that banner I made for you working out Ess? 

It's fine. I put it on the two nexus pages I have. I guess I should put something in the guide where people can get the bbcode to use it.

I found a bug with Alternative Start and LR if you took the Mechanic option to start or if you chose any starting option but have the Robotics Perk. I'll put it in a spoiler since it is about the ending eventhough it's like 4 years old.

ED-E is trapped in Ulysses' Temple in a room with three eyebot pods. If you are a mechanic from the start then all the robots are friendly and you wouldn't have any reason to kill them. The problem is that the terminal to open the pod that ED-E is in will only show on the terminal if you kill all the robots. It just isn't something you think about 20+ hours into a playthrough and haven't had to kill any robots. Also, if you take the Robotics Expert perk, even if you didn't choose Mechanic to start, allows you to disable the robots, which causes the same issue. All robots must die!

I don't know if I can fix this one. I'm not really familiar with quests, but I'll give it shot for the vanilla bug at least. If I figure it out I'll do one for Alternative Start.