STEP v2.2.8 Official Bug Reports

z929669

hi , i find something strange about the INI config recommendation from STEP.

ine the STEP install page, at 1.D , that said for Skyrim.ini :

[Display]

;Improves shadow changes as the sun moves through the sky

fSunShadowUpdateTime=0.25    ;Transition time of sun-shadow movement

fSunUpdateThreshold=1.5    ;Time between sun-shadow movement

But, on the wiki page link ->  https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Skyrim_INIs

[Display]

;Improves shadow changes as the sun moves through the sky

fSunShadowUpdateTime=0

fSunUpdateThreshold=0.1

so, what is the good seting ?

Or maybe i miss someting ?

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a look at it, noted:

iMaxGrassTypesPerTexure=3       ;increase grass diversity with a small cost to performance (yes, 'texture' and not 'texture'). Consider set to 7 if using SFO.

yes, ' texure'  and not ' texture'  :whistling:

Guide 1.E.1 mentions an AMD-CCC Talk page which doesn't exist. Do we (or me) need to create it and add a header comment of some sort, or is the pointer address wrong?

1.E.1.1 says Set Wait for Vertical Refresh to "Always off" and 1.D.2 has in SkyrimPrefs INI  "iPresentInterval = 0"

but the referenced Catalyst guide says

"Wait for Vertical Refresh: Always on (NOTE: Set to Always off if FPS drop is a problem or iPresetInterval=1 in Skyrim INI)"

The referenced INI guide doesn't have a setting in SkyrimPrefs INI for iPresentInterval.

I expect that with all the effort to incorporate ENBoost suggested changes into the 2.2.8 guide that it is most likely correct, but I'm not positive. If it is correct I (or someone else) can make the appropriate changes to the Catalyst and INI guide to make them consistent. I'm not sure what this Catalyst guide line should say, however, if the 2.2.8 guide is correct.

Guide 1.E.1 mentions an AMD-CCC Talk page which doesn't exist. Do we (or me) need to create it and add a header comment of some sort, or is the pointer address wrong?

1.E.1.1 says Set Wait for Vertical Refresh to "Always off" and 1.D.2 has in SkyrimPrefs INI  "iPresentInterval = 0"

but the referenced Catalyst guide says

"Wait for Vertical Refresh: Always on (NOTE: Set to Always off if FPS drop is a problem or iPresetInterval=1 in Skyrim INI)"

The referenced INI guide doesn't have a setting in SkyrimPrefs INI for iPresentInterval.

I expect that with all the effort to incorporate ENBoost suggested changes into the 2.2.8 guide that it is most likely correct, but I'm not positive. If it is correct I (or someone else) can make the appropriate changes to the Catalyst and INI guide to make them consistent. I'm not sure what this Catalyst guide line should say, however, if the 2.2.8 guide is correct.

Good catch. Yes the CCC and INI ancillary guides should be consistent with the STEP Guide (which is correct). I'll fix now

Two suggestions for the Recommended Hardware system in the table in the guide:

The current OS recommendation is Windows 7. Based on recent discussions in the forums about Windows 8 and gaming performance I suggest this be changed to "Windows 7 or 8"

The current RAM recommendation is 8 Gb . I suggest it be ">= 8 Gb" to indicate that there is an advantage to having more than 8Gb vs. there not being any advantage to more than 8Gb RAM. The forum posts about using ENBoost and the new memory patch mention that RAM usage increases noticeably when using these. In addition, this article discusses how additional RAM improves SSD performance.

New STEP Patches are up, again ignore the 2.2.9 folder, that is for me.

Highlights:

• Updated to work with USKP 2.0.1 except for one forward in the Extended patch that was for Skyrim Coin Replacer which I expect Neo will update very soon. 
  • No NPC Greeting merged, so patch users no longer need that mod. I'll make note of that on the guide and I'm going to figure out a way to make it so non-Patch users can get certain things like the SMIM plugins and this one.
  • Bunch of fixes I missed from the complete rebuild I did when we added AOS. :wallbash:
  • STEP Core Patch now reduces plugin count by 8, and Extended Patch now reduces plugin count by 19. :dance:
https://github.com/EssArrBee/STEP-Patches

I've noticed considerable strain on fps whenever close to large bodies of water, f.ex. on the way from Helgen to Riverwood by the river. Then again, that's the ONLY place I've seen so far where my trusty GTX770 2GB/i3570k/8 GB/SSD combo doesn't manage the full 60 fps, "only" like 40-50.

I suppose I might be pushing the upper limits of the scripting engine, having installed the entire Step:Extended including ALL the heavy scripting mods and HQ options on everything. I did get a single CTD just outside Whiterun, killing wolves with conjured weapons, in thunderstorm, with both a summon and a follower out, plus another pack of wolves chasing a deer a bit further away. Hasn't happened since during the ~15 hours so far.

Also, does anyone else suffer from the occasional ILS trying to get out from Jorrvaskar Living Quarters? I had the same issue with STEP 2.2.7 install as well.

New STEP Patches are up, again ignore the 2.2.9 folder, that is for me.

Highlights:

• Updated to work with USKP 2.0.1 except for one forward in the Extended patch that was for Skyrim Coin Replacer which I expect Neo will update very soon. 
  • No NPC Greeting merged, so patch users no longer need that mod. I'll make note of that on the guide and I'm going to figure out a way to make it so non-Patch users can get certain things like the SMIM plugins and this one.
  • Bunch of fixes I missed from the complete rebuild I did when we added AOS. :wallbash:
  • STEP Core Patch now reduces plugin count by 8, and Extended Patch now reduces plugin count by 19. :dance:
https://github.com/EssArrBee/STEP-Patches

If this is compatible with the current release, it should be uploaded to Nexus with the proper versioning added. ( 2.2.8a, 2.2.8b, etc ) This will probably change the overall version on the page though. Which could be good bc it'll notify the trackers; thus, the users that a new version is available. However, I don't know if we want the version to change like that. If not, you can just upload with the same version number (overwrite the old ones). I'm unsure if the trackers would pick this up or not. I haven't gone through the Nexus process but once so I don't remember how everything works from memory.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk.

@Rechet

Try the new SKSE alpha version with the memory patch in SKSE.ini active to see if that resolves your issues.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk.