STEP v2.2.8 Official Bug Reports

z929669

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the new fSunUpdateThreshold=0.01 does seem to make the shadows animate oddly though' date=' as if they are stuttering when the rest of the game isn't. setting iBlurDeferredShadowMask to 0 when using enb makes it less noticeable since it smooths out the shadows. perhaps it's because I'm not running ultra shadows[/quote']

Yes, I think that the current recommendations best suit ENB users that will get smooth shadows and thus the very fast transition is not very noticeable at all (which is the goal ... ANY noticeable transition be it small or large is bad). Even ENB users will notice the drastic change of the 2s update interval though.

Perhaps we should recommend 2.0 for non ENB users and 0.01 for ENB users.

I'm a non-ENB user (currently) with ultra shadows' date=' and I can confirm with the .1 values the shadows are constantly flickering. I say it is a good idea to specify .1 for ENB and a value between 1 and 2 for non-ENB.[/quote']

Can you quickly install an ENB and see if the flickering goes away with the 0.1 setting?

I'm a non-ENB user (currently) with ultra shadows' date=' and I can confirm with the .1 values the shadows are constantly flickering. I say it is a good idea to specify .1 for ENB and a value between 1 and 2 for non-ENB.[/quote']

Can you quickly install an ENB and see if the flickering goes away with the 0.1 setting?

Just to clarify it should be 0.01. Small change, big difference :)

Thanks

Fred

Meant to say 0.01' date=' sorry! And unfortunately I am in class right now' date=' but I will say I had an ENB installed before with the same setting and there was no flickering.[/quote'']

Alright then. Thanks for your input. Guess that tweak is ENB-dependent. 

Should that be mentioned in the STEP guide?

Meant to say 0.01' date=' sorry! And unfortunately I am in class right now' date=' but I will say I had an ENB installed before with the same setting and there was no flickering.[/quote'']

I think one of the moderators above said they would include that note. If not, then yea, it should definitely be mentioned. 

I think one of the moderators above said they would include that note. If not, then yea, it should definitely be mentioned. 

Just checked, and it is not mentioned on the Tweak Guide page nor the STEP Guide 2.2.8 itself, and I would change it myself, but I am unable to edit the Wiki.

EDIT: I got ninja'd by z929669

If people would quit posting like mad ...

... they might notice this post!

I just finished some research on fSunUpdateThreshold & fSunUpdateTime, and the general consensus is that big numbers and small numbers are both bad.

A happy medium has been suggested based on others' experiments (per my research). I will say that even with ENB, there is shadow 'wiggle' along straight edges at high noon on a clear day. If anyone has ever seen the cartoon Ed, Ed & Eddy, it is something like the wiggle of the characters' edges in that.

Guide updated