Transparent and Refracting Icicle and Frost Atronach by Skysan4298

james4832

Dude, if Terrain Bump is only normals then the first and third picture are the same thing. Except for some snowflakes in different spots they are the same. Either way TB is best. I think SP should do some 8k uncompressed normal maps. ::P:

That was the point. I was show it went back to a vanilla state.TB is completely rippling the texture. I'm about to repost the shots with and without that normal from TB so everyone can compare.

Here are the updated shots. The final shot in each set with without the icicle_n.dds from Terrain Bump. This changes the look of the icicles. The atronach and ice wraiths didn't used this normal so they were unaffected by the change.

Icicles on roofs:

Vanilla >> STEP >> STEP + Transparent & Refracting with Terrain Bump >> STEP + Transparent & Refracting without Terrain Bump

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Icicles on arches:

Vanilla >> STEP >> STEP + Transparent & Refracting with Terrain Bump >> STEP + Transparent & Refracting without Terrain Bump

Icicles on roofs 2:

Icicles on roofs 3:

Icicles in caves:

Icicles in caves 2:

Icicles on ledge (dawn):

EDIT:

Caves seem to be unaffected as well.

Foiled by myself? Nah, it's that gross refraction that is THE new modders' play-thing. Let's slap it on everything because we can! At least parallax looks decent. 

Edit: End one is best, transparency tones it down a lot. I am sure icicles are not meant to be in TB anyway. I have distict memories of testing them on the bridge near WH, having them look like that and then toning them down... Maybe the snuck back in? Mind you they don't look too bad when a light source hits them. I may update a fix to TB if I can be bothered.

Edited by Guest

On second thoughts I vote vanilla. Refraction is too much, does not seem the ice would be that clear. I like the smooth frosted look.

Please be aware this mod has one issue which is simply a limitation of the engine. When two transparency layers meet, one suffers. What that means for this mod is that when you view the textures through a fire mesh, the effect of the icicles will be nullified as seen in the picture below:

Posted Image

Full Size: https://i.imgur.com/kREtZdL.jpg

Here, half of the icicles in the background are being viewed through the fire mesh. You can see the effect if nullified on the right half of the icicles. I honestly, don't think this is a large effect issue to keep the mod from being in STEP.

With this new information about the icicle_n.dds file in Terrain Bump (no offense SP), I've voting for this mod to be included in STEP. The option without the normal from TB blends in far better and has changed my mind on this mod.

On second thoughts I vote vanilla. Refraction is too much, does not seem the ice would be that clear. I like the smooth frosted look.

That would be a personal preference as would this mod in general. I've seen both perfectly clear ice icicles and more frosted ones. I do believe it depends on the water purity and the weather.

EDIT:

To get vanilla, all we have to do is hide the normal from TB. That's what is causing the "banding" in the STEP shots.

Please be aware this mod has one issue which is simply a limitation of the engine. When two transparency layers meet, one suffers. What that means for this mod is that when you view the textures through a fire mesh, the effect of the icicles will be nullified as seen in the picture below:

I think there's at least a partial patch for that on the mod's page. Something related to magic and torches.

Hey I agree Tech, the inclusion seems like a error on my part for not giving the latest files to Z. Do these meshes contain fire refraction in the mesh Tech? I think above where the textures are listed, in that is a "Shader Flag 1" " drop down menu. Unticking fire refract may fix it. Pretty sure someone said that. May be horse poop though who knows? Also I think the errored half looks much better.  :lol:

Edited by Guest

I think there's at least a partial patch for that on the mod's page. Something related to magic and torches.

The patch was for torches. In vanilla the entire torch is transparent for some odd reason so it would make the torch disappear when it got too close to the icicles. The author fixed it by making only the tip of the torch where the fire is transparent. 

Hey I agree Tech, the inclusion seems like a error on my part for not giving the latest files to Z. Do these meshes contain fire refraction in the mesh Tech? I think above where the textures are listed, in that is a "Shader Flag 1" " drop down menu. Unticking fire refract may fix it. Pretty sure someone said that. May be horse poop though who knows?

Fire refract is not ticked for any of the ones I just looked at.

Yep poop then, don't read into Nexus comments example 999. Anyway just accept the mod without TB, it's obvious I'm outnumbered and I admit defeat.  ::):

Edited by Guest

Redo that's ice with proper meshes for icicles. *hint hint*

Please elaborate on "proper" Ess. Smooth that shiz? Remap that funk? Bake that cake? What?