Transparent and Refracting Icicle and Frost Atronach by Skysan4298

james4832

So the refraction built for fire effects is fugly?  ::D:

Refraction uses the normals for it's strength, toning them down with brightness/contrast may help. They look really strong in this weather.

It looks like it's reflecting the snow as if the snow had a light source or as if the icicles were mirrors; however, those are not the reasons. It's doing that because during snowy weather the snow passes right though objects. Seriously! TFC at the college and get up next to the wall and watch the snow from the side. It appears to be blowing right through the wall...because it does. It's doing the same thing to the icicles and; thus, creating that strobe effect as it's passing through. This will most likely end up being a limitation of the engine and not fixable. It would be nice if an author could make a mod that caused objects to be solid where the weather is concerned. Meaning if it's snowing sideways like it could at the college then snow would build up on one side of the building more than the other and you wouldn't get the snow actually ignoring the solid structure as if it was magic snow and passing right through the objects.

That's already been stated as an issue earlier on (by me). It happens when any invisible mesh is in front of your view of the icicles. (torches, flames, magic light from college, etc). It's also documented on the author's mod page. Nothing can be done about it as it's an engine limitation.

EDIT:

...and yes, this also affects the your giant summoned ice man... :;):

Yeah it is just another reason not really to use the refracting shader on anything with a relatively large size since the amount of bugs that come with it is rather huge... Works sort of nicely on smaller objects though. 

I vote to wait for Aiyen or SP to do a nice little mod that covers the same stuff and this. I say drop this from testing and pick it back up after 2.2.9 comes out. We need to move forward and there is no reason we cannot return to this mod after we finalize 2.2.9.

That's what I meant as well. If we're just going to come back to it there is no need to remove the testing tag. It'll just at as a reminder that we're not finish with it yet. It's not going to hurt anything to keep the testing tags on mods through a release and into a new one. We do it all the time. ::D: