Transparent and Refracting Icicle and Frost Atronach by Skysan4298

james4832

There is a compatibility patch for this mod and New Thinner Torches hosted on the NTT mod page. This will prevent a glitch where the torch and/or icicle disappears when looking in the same direction. 

I'm personally using this mod and it is WAY better than what is currently in step (which is HRDLC). This only effects small icicles on rocks and buildings and cave ceilings and will not affect the textures for the giant ice walls (i.e., forgotten vale ice). 

• 5 weeks later...

I've taken some screens for you guys to compare. I wish they could show as thumbnails but anyways, just follow the links. First, the mod in question; second, the Frost Atronach HD and third, combined. Gotta be honest, this mod really makes the atronach feel very icy indeed and I quite like it except that when viewed with a torch near the atronach not only does your hand refracts but also you can see the torch's radius over it which is very distracting. Here's what I mean.. That's vanilla torch btw.

Edited by phryxolydian

That's a tough one... the effect is pretty awesome I must say and I'd probably would use the combined version if it wasn't because of that completely immersion breaking torch radius and refracting objects near the atronach. I'll stick to the current STEP for now, I guess.

Edited by phryxolydian

I'd use this cool mod but it messes with torches to fix an issue with TAA (which I also use). I have mods for torches and if I recollect correctly it had a conflict with them.

Yea, it does conflict with torches, but it also has some compatibility patches for Ultra Realistic Torch and the New Thinner Torch author has a compatibility path for this mod, so you can fix that problem. 

• 1 month later...

Screens:

Transparent and refracting with vanilla->STEP->Transparent and refracting with STEP

Icicles

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Front of Atronach

Back of Atronach

I like this mod on top of STEP which is Frost Atronach HD. There were other meshes for stuff, but I didn't notice it till after I did these shots. I'll go back and take a few more maybe...

STEP > This mod.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Personally I'm not a fan of what this mod does to the icicles in these situations. I like either this mod's atronach or combined with current STEP, as shown in my initial comparison and on SRB's post.

Hmm...now that I think of it, I may actually prefer the atronach with this mod alone, I feel it makes it look much more icy and.. sigh.. "realistic".

• +1 1