Transparent and Refracting Icicle and Frost Atronach by Skysan4298

james4832

I like this mod on top of STEP for the Atronach, but like I said it has more stuff. Ice wraith and cave icicles meshes. It is also had to make compatible with torch mods for some reason and would need a couple optional files to be compatible with New Thinner Torch and HD Torch.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay...got this one tested out. First, the shots:

Icicles on roofs:

Vanilla  >>  STEP  >> Transparent & Refracting

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Icicles on arches:

Vanilla >> STEP >> Transparent & Refracting

Icicles on roofs 2:

Icicles on roofs 3:

Icicles in caves:

Icicles in caves 2:

Icicles on ledge (dawn):

(Someone needs to up the images-allowed-per-post count. That is annoying as hell having to wait 5 mins to post the rest of the shots!)

Ice Wraiths (it's impossible to get the same shot twice):

Frost Atronarch:
Vanilla >> STEP >> Transparent & Refracting (over vanilla) >> Transparent & Refracting (over STEP)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The STEP textures are provided by AMB Caves and Mines.

Although this mod is amazing at that it's doing, I'm afraid this might be a case of a mod being "too realistic" for Skyrim. (that's right, I said too realistic and it's not the first time ::P:) The mod is so incredibly realistic that it's not fitting in with the rest of the textures in Skyrim. Now the author has some really great shots by him and other users on the Nexus page. I think ENB does something extra special with this mod; however, for non-ENB users (that's STEP) it's just standing out too much.

I'm voting a "no" for this one; altough, I do love what it is doing.

On another note, I think our Frost Atronarch looks bad. Why is it so blue? We need to find something better and I don't think Ren's is it either.

Based on the screenshots, for the icicles I prefer the Transparent & Refracting. In caves they seem more like the cave walls and less like something different that is glued on. On roofs they seem more random and more like actual icicles than the other two choices, at least to me.The current STEP choice seems to have dark banding, and the vanilla seems unrealistically "smooth".  I also prefer this for the Ice Wraiths; of course it's always hard say anything much about ice wraiths since they are so dynamic. For the Frost Atronach I also prefer the Transparent and Refracting. The STEP seems a bit too blue but the vanilla has has regions that seem uniformly dark with little randomness in color which I don't like.

I'll have to load this up in-game to make a decision.

Please do! The shots can be misleading. They really do look amazing and realistic. If the author where to add a lightly-frosted option, I think they would fit in much better. As they are now, they tend to stand out.

@Kelmych,

Which option for transparent do you prefer for the Atronach? Step+trans or Vanilla+trans?

EDIT:

I do agree, they look amazing in the caves. I wasn't able to test the torch bug though.

@Kelmych,

Which option for transparent do you prefer for the Atronach? Step+trans or Vanilla+trans?

EDIT:

I do agree, they look amazing in the caves. I wasn't able to test the torch bug though.

Based just on the screenshots I prefer the STEP+trans; admittedly in general I do like objects that are blue. I'll look in game to make sure the blue doesn't seem out of place.

The blue atronach is Ren's? The blue (combined with that refraction and transparency) is amazing, I have to get that!!

I don't understand how can there be difference between the last 2 screenshots, because I thought this mod overwrites everything.

Edited by Octopuss

The blue atronach is Ren's? The blue (combined with that refraction and transparency) is amazing, I have to get that!!I don't understand how can there be difference between the last 2 screenshots, because I thought this mod overwrites everything.

The blue is STEP (Frost Atronach HD).The difference is the mesh, not the texture. The texture is being provided by other mods (vanilla and Frost Atronach HD, respectfully)