STEP Patches

Nearox

Kryp updated Traps Make Noise, and with the Nexus being all weird I haven't checked out the new version. I'll do so early tomorrow, but I'd still say the CORE patch is good to go. Maybe one or two records that would deleted as redundant instead of added.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, the bashed patch is needed for leveled lists and merging mods, but untick stats. You do not want to merge stats or the bashed patch will pick a record from Unofficial patches or WAF instead of merging them and will overwrite the records that are in the STEP patch that combined the changes of USKP and WAF.

I could add crime to STEP patch and a timescale, but that is better left up to the user.

Yes, the bashed patch is needed for leveled lists and merging mods, but untick stats. You do not want to merge stats or the bashed patch will pick a record from Unofficial patches or WAF instead of merging them and will overwrite the records that are in the STEP patch that combined the changes of USKP and WAF.

I could add crime to STEP patch and a timescale, but that is better left up to the user.

Nope, just do as you have been. I mainly wanted to determine how much the patch overlapped with the BP once it was built. I will need to add instructions to install WB for creation of the Bashed Patch and will note the crime radius and timescale tweaks.

Before I put these onto the Nexus page, I think that the readme will need just a bit more explanation on the SoS patch and the lanterns patches (if still applicable) ... SoS = Sounds of Skyrim? Can you describe why users should use all of these patches and under what conditions they would or would not use?

TIA

EDIT: also the readme mentions adding the WB stats tag and loading the patches last before building the Bashed Patch, but above you mention not to check stats for BP. Also, what is the load order of STEP patches if more than one is used? Lastly, what needs to be done for 2.2.8 (see the guide in progress, as more has been added to core and there are a couple of mod changes)?

Well, I mentions to add stats tag so records would be used from the patch and not USKP or WAF, but that didn't work with bashed patch. Untick the merge stats in bashed patch and load STEP patch right before the bashed patch. I will update the Readme the WB directions and make it really big "ONLY USE ONE PATCH" because I did put that somewhere. All STEP Patches will pretty much use the Core Patch and grow off of it, that way pack authors can fork off and create a patch for their packs.

Yes, Sounds of Skyrim is SoS. The SoS Patch is for patching just SoS with Unofficial Patches. Wearable Lanterns is just patching WL with Unofficial Patches. The other patch is SoS+WL with Unofficial Patches. Only use one. The readme.txt might be better than the pposted readme on the site. I don't think I've messed with that in a minute. Also, the WL patch is for an old version, not 3.0, and I would not distribute it or the SoS-WL patch until I look it over with 3.0. Those were just extras I did and were not meant to be part of the larger project.

I had planned to do the updates for that patch tonight. The STEP Core Patch is sound and ready. The STEP Extended Patch needs another look since WL is listed in 2.2.7 and I made the patch before 3.0. Will not take me to long to get new ones made. I'll start on the 2.2.8 version too, probably later tonight, depends how I feel after another Maredsous.

You did mention to only use one patch ... STEP Core patch or STEP Sos Patch? (I assume that you could use both, because why would anyone use a STEP patch if STEP was not installed, and if STEP is installed, STEP:Core must be installed).

Also, I am still not clear on the Bashed Patch by your explanation preceding. Do you or do you not tag the STEP patches with stats? Only when not using a Bashedd Patch? If so, then that does not make sense, since tagging is done in WB, and it makes no sense to use WB and NOT use the Bashed Patch.

Anyway, my point is that the readme needs to spell every angle out explicitly, or people that think too much (or don't think enough) will fill in the gaps with other info, which will usually be incorrect info ;)

Anyway, thanks for working on these. They will be great additions. (you may want to add a note about how others could use the STEP Core patch "to grow off of and fork" as you stated above.)

Yeah, I'm working on it now, but I have to rebuild the Extended patch from scratch. The update to WL and it not being compatible with Chesko's other mods means tons of stuff needs to be removed. Really sucks going through cell by cell.

So I tested the Stats tag on the STEP Patch because the Unofficial Patches and WAF have it and they all affect the same records. My hope was that the last mod would be taken into the Bashed Patch, but it did not work out that way and I ended up with incorrect records in some places. I solved this by just loading the STEP patch before the bashed patch and unticking the merge stats in the bashed patch menu. Use all the other Bashed Patch functions like leveled lists, tweaks... and you will end up with all the proper stats in game. I guess should ask one of the WB people why the Stats merging didn't work properly, so I'll get to that when I'm done with the current Extended patch.

I will clean up the readme, get rid of the WL patch since it's no longer necessary until candle lanterns are integrated into a future update.

Regarding patch for Extended and WL ... WL is dropped for now and may even be the case for 2.2.8. (see that thread in Mod Testing for details), and Extended will be going through significant changes in either 2.2.8 or 2.2.9, so expend energy as you wish with that in mind.

WB Bashed Patch for Skyrim has only limited functionality (one of the reasons we support MO for STEP now), as the main developers are our of the picture as far AFAIK. It would not surprise me if the stats were buggy or broken. Only merge and LL work last I checked.

I really want someone to write a plugin for MO that will handle the dynamic, load-based patching and mergers as the BP is supposed to work.

Well, I did keep saying WL because it was the main mod, but the one that required the most patching was Candle Lanterns of the North. I just considered them a package deal. Now that Candle Lanterns is defunct the Extended patch does not require WL as a master, so zero energy on that mod.

I'm done now with the new patch. Core is unchanged. Extended is updated for the current 2.2.7 guide and even updated for Coin Replacer Redux. I touched up the readme.txt, but haven't got to the readme on the github page, will do in a bit. Removed the WL and WL-SoS patches, since they are defunct.

Next I will start a new Extended patch for 2.2.8 since Core should pretty much be the same. Then I will work on creating a compilation to try and further reduce the number of plugins in a STEP load order.

If you need something to move 2.2.8 along let me know because I can always push back the patching to right after we lock the mod list for release.

https://github.com/EssArrBee/STEP-Patches