STEP Patches

Nearox

You first need to download GitHub Windows installer (see my prev post), then you need to install and sync the repo. This will download all of the current files onto your hard drive. From here, you simply edit the files to your heart's content, without worry that you are breaking any of the current content. Once you are finished, you stage the files and commit to the repo via GitHub. See another prev post where I link to the manual.

the advantage is that everyone can make whatever changes to any files they want, even notes and readme's. You can even add files. GitHub keeps record of all versions, and you can't lose any infor or overwrite someone else's commit.

I've looked through the github gelp guides for half an hour but I somehow can't figure it out.

The application is installed, the github step core patch section is cloned to desktop. It is now marked a local repository. But all I can see in the github app are the readme files that essarbee made. The .esp files are not visibile.

EDIT: Ok so the .esp files are apparently in my documents/GitHub/Step-patches. So if I put the edited file in there and then 'commit' to github, it should work?

Ughh... I'll check it more later today. 

Yes, the patch is basically a forwarding of all the mods that conflict while used together. Now that I think about it we could get rid of a lot of those patches and reduce the plugin number by quite a bit by merging those patches to into ours. This is ofc. a bigger concern for Extended users not so much Core users.

The GDO/WAF patch yes that could be merged, any two mods that have to have an extra patch would work. For Improved Helmets those are not patches as much as completely replacing the plugins from the mod with the ones that kryp made for compatibility, so those are here to stay.

Thanks for that light bulb, tech.

kryp added custom keywords to the patches for GDO/WAF and AMB Skyforge/WAF, so the main WAF will not be a master of the patch. copying those over from the patches would make the patch itself a master. Might need to see if those keywords can be forwarded from WAF instead of the patch to get the plugin # down a couple slots. Using a patch as a master of a patch would just be dumb.

@nearox why did you commit a patch with a different name? I think the way it works you want the files to have the same name so they can overwrite the older ones and then if something is wrong we can rollback to an older version.

EDIT: So, I think this best addresses all the patches that EBQO has had to be packaged with. Leaving the DLC plugins out, there is one for Consistent Old Peeps, DBMisc Forever, Parthunaax Dilemma, and Non-Essential Children that could all be merged into the patch. Technically the mod could be merged, at least I believe it could, but that just seems wrong for some reason, so I left the main plugin and the DLC plugins and merged the rest since those forwarded the original work, not forwarded all the work. Diverse Priests has a couple patches too, that are redundant after merging as well.

All but one of them is exclusive to Extended. I'd say 5 or 6 plugins could be removed from Extended. I have 90 plugins, so 144 including Bashed Patch and SUM. Now that would be 138-139 plugins, leaving out that we might still get the two WAF plugins merged if we figure something out there, so 136 is possible. For Core I think it is only 40 plugins, so not to worried about lots of plugins. It just makes the install process easier instead of worrying about the separate instructions for patches of each mod.

All of the new keywords added by WAF & GDO are inserted into Update.esm. The patch uses the same inserted keywords, so it will work the same way. There should be no need to master either of the mods for the STEP patch to contain the same inserted keywords.

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/articles/1420//?

While the above article was written with a focus toward WAF, creating compatibility with GDO will work exactly the same way.

@nearox why did you commit a patch with a different name? I think the way it works you want the files to have the same name so they can overwrite the older ones and then if something is wrong we can rollback to an older version.

When I downloaded the esp yesterday, it was called Step+Core+Patch... I think someone uploaded a new esp today without the + signs, while I was fiddling around with the github program. 

All of the new keywords added by WAF & GDO are inserted into Update.esm. The patch uses the same inserted keywords, so it will work the same way. There should be no need to master either of the mods for the STEP patch to contain the same inserted keywords.

https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/articles/1420//?

While the above article was written with a focus toward WAF, creating compatibility with GDO will work exactly the same way.

Thank you, that helped a lot.

This is what I think we can do for the patches:

STEP Patch

WAF AMB Skyforge Patch now incorporated into STEP: Core and Extended Patches.

- The following FormIDs all merged into STEP Patches:

- Weapon - 0009F25C

- 0009F25D

- 0009F25E

- 0009F25F

- 0009F260

- Keyword left out, but all keywords from WAF or SPIKE forwarded.

WAF GDO Patch now incorporated into STEP: Core and Extended Patches.

- The following FormIDs all merged into STEP Patches:

- Armor - 000136D5

- 0001394D

- 0001395C

- 00013ED8

- 00013ED9

- 0001B3A2

- 0003619E

- 000F6F22

- Weapon - 0001359D

- 000135B8

- 0001397E

- 0001399F

- 000139B7

- 0002C66F

- 0009F25C

- 0009F25D

- 0009F25E

- 000B994E

- Keyword left out, but all keywords from WAF or SPIKE forwarded.

Diverst Priests Consistent Older People patch is now part of STEP: Core and Extended Patches.

- NPCs: Alassandra and Nura merged into STEP Patches.

Diverst Priests BYOD patch now is now part of STEP: Extended Patch.

- NPCs: Runil merged into STEP Patches.

EBQO AMB Skyforge Weapons is now part of STEP: Extended Patch.

- Quest: C00 - Take Up Arms merged into STEP Patch.

EBQO DBForeverMisc patch is now part of STEP: Exteneded patch.

- Quest: Dbrecurring - merged

DbrecurringControlQuest - merged

EBQO Parthunaax Dilemma patch is now part of STEP: Extended patch.

- Quest: MQParthunaax - merged

EBQO NEC Patch is now part of STEP: Extended patch.

- Quest: DB06 - merged

DB07 - merged

T01 - merged

EBQO Thieves Quild Requirement

- Quest: Only two records in patch have errors that cant be copied over. Loud and Clear - Alias Package Data has error

Dampened Spirits - Alias Package Data has error

That is eight patches merged into the Extended and three into Core. Not sure what's up with the EBQO-Thieves Guild Req. patch. Someone else might take a look, but I couldn't get the patch to copy over on the lines I listed. After that, plus the additional stuff Nearox is doing we should have something that is good for wider use. At least for Core that is true. Extended might a little longer.

Thanks guys for getting on task with this! It loooks pretty clear on GitHub. Note that there is a network graph of the commits. This is a new feature of GitHub, and it really makes visualizing how it works simpler. Just click on the little number besides the "Fork" button to see the graph. On the graph is a shortcut to its description. You would do well to read that and see how it works.

Anyone can fork this off to their own repo at any time or work on the project within this repo. All will show on that network graph (AFAIK)

Core patch is done. The extended patch is done as well unless Nearox has anything else to add to it.

If a couple more people look them over to see if anything looks iffy and report back then we can release them. As far as, redundant plugins now.

Core + Extended:

WAF/GDO patch

WAF/AMB Skyforge Weapons patch

Diverse Priests/Consistent Old Peeps patch

Extended Only:

Diverse Priests/BYOD patch

EBQO-Non-Essential Killable Children patch

EBQO-Parthunaax Dilemma patch

EBQO-DB Forever Misc patch

EBQO-AMB Skyforge Weapons patch

That's eight total plugins removed, three for Core, and actually I think with forwarding the dialog changes from USKP and WBE to the patch that WBE is redundant now. Dialog trees always confused me though so not 100% sure.

@Release Coordinators: When ever you guys start getting 2.2.8 list together for inclusions/exclusions we can create a new branch for that and have it ready when the guide updates from now on. Should be easy to update what we already have.

I've already started going through the Bug Reports thread and gathering up all the changes for the 2.2.8 dev changelog and will be releasing it in the next couple of days. I've been keeping an eye out on this thread and just copy & pasted your post into my notes. After the changelog is up and running, I'll be looking into the MS thread for mods to move to testing as we as Core vs Extended mod comparisons to iron out Extended, per Z's suggestion in the Bug Reports thread.