Better Shaped Weapons - BSW (by masterofshadows and LeanWolf)

WilliamImm

Well, the "closer quivers" part of CQLA that fixes the gap may not even be an issue anymore, according to TechAngel85:

"So...after a bit of research, I've discovered that when this mod is combined with XP32 (which we already use) that the gap caused by quivers is no longer present."

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at CQLA's modpage it has comparison screenshots and a "why things are, the way they are" screenshot; if you want a visual idea of both what the problem and solution are. The quiver mesh is stretched as long as it is because it's just long enough to fit daedric arrows, which are the worst performer in regards to the arrow/hand clip issue. If the quiver were any shorter, daedric arrows would poke through.

Going by that information, the arrows on your back are the same arrows you draw. The length of quiver is dependant on how much arrow you need.

Actually, I spent a little more time reading info on the CQLA page after reading what you posted and I think you are right that it does make the arrows longer, not just the arrows in the quiver.  More statements from the author around one of the quotes that I didn't read right or fully quote previously:

"v3 is out! Now with longer arrows! I received many requests to make my mod compatible with "Proper Length Arrows". Unfortunately i wasn't able to make our mods work together. I then scrapped the idea of a "compatible" version and decided to fully redo my quivers and arrows and at least have a version of my own that would offer a closer quiver with longer arrows. Finally, after struggling with the goofy way arrows and quivers interact i was able to make it happen."

So CQLA apparently does provide an arrow length fix all around, and that's the main reason why it decides to lengthen the quivers... Rather than providing a longer quiver/arrow visual to fit the fix of another mod that makes arrows longer.

Edited by oqhansoloqo

Both work with DSR. Both fix the gap issues (need to confirm with BSW...females have the gap issues I think so just need to test out females). Also need to check the arrow issue for females. I've already said as much. If testing proves no issues, I'm for BSW all the way!

There's a lot of talking and trying to figure this out from the mod pages. Just hop in game and start testing. I'll get to it tomorrow probably.

BSW detailed instructions state:

Use the following options:

Page 1: Options 1

• Dual Sheath Redux

but that would only be for Extended, or anyone using DSR, right?

I read this entire thread and found no mention of it, so I'm assuming it causes no issues to install with the DSR option ticked, even without having DSR installed, as that's what Core users would be doing.

I know it's a minor thing, but I think Ultra clarity is definitely a good feature of a great guide.

I just tested the females. I tested it allowing BSW to overwrite CQLA and there was no arrow length issue nor was there any floating issue with the quivers. This was using a female nord and the small body build possible. I also tested without CQLA and saw no arrows clipping into the hands. I would like to know other user's experience without CQLA to find out if we even still need that mod. If we go with BSW, then I think we can drop CQLA.

If that's true, it would seem that the only thing that CQLA would be adding that BSW doesn't is stretching out the quiver meshes and thus distorting the textures (which is a negative thing) and placing them low on the back (which may or may not be liked - personally, I think BSW just flat out looks better).  That would be for STEP Extended.  But what about this: if the XPMS mod corrects the quiver distance from the back issue, STEP Core people aren't told to install that mod... so would they still have the quiver far away from the body with BSW (being that they wouldn't have the XPMS mod)?

Edited by oqhansoloqo

I can see where it wouldn't be needed for Core as there aren't any Core mods that rely on it. Ragdolls and DSR are the only two mods that it should be installed for in Extended. Ragdolls is actually a requirement for XPMS. I really see no reason not to install it for Core as many animation mods down the road in the Guide or in Packs might require it. More of a preventive thing than anything. In fact, we might want to check into Groovtama's XPMS Extended version as it supports far more things and doesn't seem to require any specific body mod that I can tell from the Nexus page. Though, the Nexus page could use some cleaning up and clarity.

I honestly haven't looked at any skyrim animation/skeleton stuff in so long I wouldn't know to start. Ragdolls is just changing one simple setting in the record for the different skeletons. It's also has universal permissions, so I use it in the Extended patch.