Better Shaped Weapons - BSW (by masterofshadows and LeanWolf)

WilliamImm

Mod Page updated for new version. Nothing changed.

With this update the author made all arrows a bit longer. I'll be testing this version as I play without CQLA installed to determine if we can eliminated that mod.

So, I don't think we ever did this for this mod...Dawnbreaker...Elven or Dwarven Sheath? Personally, I prefer the elven. Neither really match as it's a daedric weapon. Ebony is used to improve it, but it's not made out of ebony:

Though it can be tempered with an ebony ingot, it is not classified as an ebony weapon -- nor is it classified as any other standard weapon material.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We picked Dwarven sheath before.  I'm guessing Dwarven was chosen because the sword itself seems to have a Dwarven style to it.  The build of the part around where the light emanates from looks like a part Dwarven design.

EDIT: Tech - have you figured out which features of XPMS Extended are suitable for combining with BSW?

I looked through this thread and we never decided on the sheath or I missed that discussion somewhere. It was simply picked (by DY if I'm not mistaken). That's why I'm asking about it again now.

I haven't touched XPMS because there shouldn't be a need to change it for this mod.

OK, well in that case I vote Dwarven, because the vanilla design of the sword (even with the BSW mesh changes) most resembles a Dwarvish style.

So you are saying that XPMS Extended is not necessary?  This is a quote from before from me in March when I was comparing the XPMS versions "Extended XPMS over the other version does make a difference - the main difference I notice (I think) is that quivers are closer to the body when playing as a female.  I did not notice a fix with the arrow length issue in female 3rd person with either (maybe I didn't load something correctly in regards to the proper weapon scale element of the Extended version?), and I didn't notice this issue at all with female 1st person arrow length with either (didn't even try it without XPMS)."  Apparently, back then I thought the standard version caused female characters to have the quiver separated far from the back, but the extended version fixed the issue and brought the quiver much closer to the back.

Didn't say it wasn't necessary. I said I hadn't touched it from the STEP instructions meaning it's installed as STEP instructs. The quiver issue is a vanilla issue so without a mod that fixes it (XPMS or CQLA) then you'll always have that issue on females.

I can tell you that CQLA is not needed for male characters with the latest BSW file. I'm playing a wood elf/ranger character and almost exclusively use bows. I haven't tested females yet. I'm going to create a new vanilla female since my other one has non-vanilla mods saved to it for some reason. I must have messed it up.

OK, well in that case I vote Dwarven, because the vanilla design of the sword (even with the BSW mesh changes) most resembles a Dwarvish style.

So you are saying that XPMS Extended is not necessary?  This is a quote from before from me in March when I was comparing the XPMS versions "Extended XPMS over the other version does make a difference - the main difference I notice (I think) is that quivers are closer to the body when playing as a female.  I did not notice a fix with the arrow length issue in female 3rd person with either (maybe I didn't load something correctly in regards to the proper weapon scale element of the Extended version?), and I didn't notice this issue at all with female 1st person arrow length with either (didn't even try it without XPMS)."  Apparently, back then I thought the standard version caused female characters to have the quiver separated far from the back, but the extended version fixed the issue and brought the quiver much closer to the back.

Actually XPMSE (aka Groovtama's XPMS Extended) let you reposition the quiver position in x / y / z, as well as rotating it around those axis, so wether the "default" position is closer or not compared to vanilla / XPMS, there is no point talking about it since the player can adjust it at his will.

BTW, I know it's not the topic, but since we talked about XPMS : have the "backpack-friendly quiver position" ever been considered for STEP Extended ? Since it include Wet & Cold, which include backpacks, it kinda make sens to me to use it. Might be easier to give clear instruction once Extended is a pack (because the fomod instructions would change).

And to get back to the subject, about dawnbreaker's sheath : After a quick check, I couldn't find any relevant information about Meridia being closer to the dwemers or an other race (except the ayleids), so the choice should probably just be based on aesthetic (or set to none, and replaced by an other mod, I believe there is some of those in the nexus which are dawnbreaker-specific).

The "Elven" version seems much more neutral to me, and without any specific ties to the Dwemer, that would be my choice for STEP.  Also, while it's only an interpretation of lore and not something directly stated (as far as I know), I feel that given Meridia's hatred for "false life," she probably would not have approved of the Dwarven automatons or the use of captured souls to animate them.

The "Elven" version seems much more neutral to me, and without any specific ties to the Dwemer, that's would be my choice for STEP.  Also, while it's only an interpretation of lore and not something directly stated (as far as I know), I feel that given Meridia's hatred for "false life," she probably would not have approved of the Dwarven automatons or the use of captured souls to animate them.

Very good points. I just never thought the Dwarven design looked right for it. I've been playing with the elven design for this new playthrough and I like it a lot better.

Actually XPMSE (aka Groovtama's XPMS Extended) let you reposition the quiver position in x / y / z, as well as rotating it around those axis, so wether the "default" position is closer or not compared to vanilla / XPMS, there is no point talking about it since the player can adjust it at his will.

BTW, I know it's not the topic, but since we talked about XPMS : have the "backpack-friendly quiver position" ever been considered for STEP Extended ? Since it include Wet & Cold, which include backpacks, it kinda make sens to me to use it. Might be easier to give clear instruction once Extended is a pack (because the fomod instructions would change).

And to get back to the subject, about dawnbreaker's sheath : After a quick check, I couldn't find any relevant information about Meridia being closer to the dwemers or an other race (except the ayleids), so the choice should probably just be based on aesthetic (or set to none, and replaced by an other mod, I believe there is some of those in the nexus which are dawnbreaker-specific).

I've thought about upgrading STEP to the extended version for some time. It's just more compatible for down-the-line installs of other mods that players might be installing on their own. This would also allow for more user customization, if they so desired. There might be a reason for not upgrading, but I haven't looked into it too deeply yet.

• 8 months later...

This has been updated on 20. March 2016 with version 2.0.05.

:)

Version 2.0.05

+ Daedric Waraxe added
+ Elven Waraxe added
+ Sheaths for Silver swords retextured to match
+ Steel + Skyforge Swords and Greatswords improved (hilt, pommel, guard)
+ Optional Silver compatible meshes for FrankFamily's UHSS mod
+ Bound Battleaxe added
+ Nordic Greatsword improved (slimmer, hook removed, round pommel)
+ Nord Hero Sword sheaths tweaked to better match
+ Imperial sword option for SRShiny Imperial mod in SRS patch

• 1 month later...

I agree.

Your choices look good to me but one question. Why would we skip Skyforge swords?

Whoops. Must've missed that one somehow.

Just an FYI, it looks like the Skyforge Weapons are still missing from the STEP instructions. I believe the prerequisite is installed in the BoS.

• 4 months later...