The Ruffled Feather (By SparrowPrince)

Xaviien

ELFX DOES use this - I'm still using it (yes, I'm a heretic) and just did a check.  "WHlanddead1.nif" and "WHlanddead2.nif" are both in the ELFX meshes directory.

EdiT - Sparrowprince, you beat me to it!  Cross-posting in action, aye?

Edited by n0mad23

Thanks Nomad. I downloaded the ELFX main package and I can't see anything relating to that. Just market stall or something.

Edit: Nothing in ELFX mesh directory. Wut? I'm confuzzled now. :lol:

Edited by Guest

All you have to do is take any file, copy it, rename it to "WHlanddead1.nif", place it in a mod directory with few files in MO, and then view the conflict info in MO for that mod and see if the file shows up as conflicting.  If it doesn't, then there aren't any conflicts.  From my understanding, MO reads BSAs in mods for conflicts and includes the contents of those in its conflict checking results.

EDIT:  At least it's easy to do this with what you already have installed...  Trying to determine if it conflicts with other people's mod installations requires their feedback.

I just do it manual at the moment because I'm in "test mode". I can't have more mods than the ones I'm testing or it gets really confusing. MO has a database then? I just thought it sorted through local files to check conflicts.

Honestly though I have yet to find these files in SMIM or ELFX. Maybe Nomad can tell me what mod the files are from that you are using?

Edit: I just decided to fix the vines, not the geometry for now as it will sure come back to bite me. I just wanted to try and do something nice as I usually like to do, but if no one but Nomad is willing to help then I guess that's it. The whole point of asking this question was to try and get help from knowlegable people, but if I'm being shoved off to do it myself on software I don't currently have, then I don't know what. I was just trying to minimise faffing around.

Edited by Guest

Things like this you have to give it some time for "knowledgeable" people to respond. I've been at work all day so I've not had access to my system. Give questions like that a day or two. People like me only have a few hours a night to work on this type of stuff. :[emoji14]: I just happened to redo the RF installer on my day off.

I saw about 8 badges and some sheriffs pass through about 10 mins after my comments. I know they all may not be home as they would be quite behind my zone, but I would have loved some of them to post. Hey I know Whiterun like the back of my hand, so someone might know this guide like so. 

I bit the bullet and threw the files at you regardless, so I'm glad I made the right choice. Cheers! Now much sleep!

Got busy tonight.  Just now checking in.

"WHlanddead1.nif" and "2" are in my ELFX\Meshes\Architecture\Windhelm\ directory along with a total of 21 .nifs, if that helps.

I'm using ELFX 2.0, the enhancer, and exteriors.  Looking at the download (packrat archiver - I file away everything whether I use it or not) I'm finding those files in "02-Exteriors" section of the Main download.  

Sorry I can't be more helpful - I'm a mod installer and tester in this realm - period.  I've been turning Skyrim into the game I want to play (got to say, the acoustics in the Ratway are worth spending time in if you ever use the Become a Bard mod).  And less than a year into that even.

I keep contemplating actually firing up Creation Kit just so I can get a better understanding of how the various levels of modding actually work with the game engine, but must admit being daunted by the learning curve.  

Nomad I said you were being helpful. Thanks for the help guys. I honestly went to the ELFX page, there were 3 files in the main section. I downloaded the bottom one which is the biggest. I looked in "Windhelm" directory of the meshes and could not see a ELFX folder outside that. I will have to try again, maybe it was Firefox messing up or I'm blind. Not sure.

Edit: Yep I'm blind. I downloaded it on my phone and had a look through and it's in the exterior folder. I'm usually a "core" guy you see. :;): Much appreciated guys. I suppose last night I had been sitting there wrangling my art for a few hours, so it kind of took it out of me.

Nah Octo. I looked at one mesh at random and it was a mess. If I go any further then I don't know what. It's one of those things you need to be super drunk to do. I'm doing it for BDS by the way. The vines fight the snow shader.

Edited by Guest

I know that mod is like Brumby's second job, but there are a few other people who are capable you know. How about all those weird armour and weapon modders we have? They should team up and do something lore friendly for a change. :P  SMIM not touching a lot of  this city stuff tells the whole story really. If that and USKP doesn't touch it, then you know it's 'bash your head on the table' kind of work.

My next project is giant 'shrooms because they are amazingly crappy.

Actually SparrowPrince, I was taking a jab at myself for not rising to the occasion and diving into Creation Kt yet.  I'd like to be more helpful here than I feel I am.

I've gotten pretty confident using MO to both install and test mods now, and have looked at several additions that have been so problem filled as to be unusable for myself and most others.  What's gotten up my nose is I can now spot Nav Mesh problems in people's mods, but don't have a clue as to how someone could actually fix them.  I'm to the point as well where I can see things that could be done with the right experience/knowledge that would enhance my game experience as well as others.  Both Solitude Docks and Radioactive's Solitude Docks and Winhelm Docks are really cool (imo) conceptually, but in terms of implementation - well, need I say more?  SDocks really blew my mind when I dove into the waters only to find pilings that "magically" seated less than 10 feet underwater and never touched the bottom.  To me, immersion requires a bit more than standard smoke and mirrors.

ETaC is one that really has blown my mind.  While I really love the expanded villages and towns, what really impresses me most about this mod are the fortifications and buttresses that are added.  This simple little addition actually makes the "Civil War" feel like it's actually happening in the background which is something I'm sure we've all felt was lacking in the vanilla version.

I'd like to contribute to modding Skyrim in a similar way.

So my ramble is done.

Giant `shrooms sound good.  As they stand, they are quite crappy.

• 3 weeks later...