Skyrim Flora Overhaul (by vurt)

JudgmentJay

It replaces the tallest pine because it needs to match the LOD in height. There's no performance hit that i have noticed, it has more polys than the Beth pines though so it could happen it affects performance a bit for some people. There's actually 3 new pines so far, one is just a variation of the above but half-snowy.

Yeah, the pine barks, i should work on them some more they really suck for the most part imo..

I'll take a look at the austria pine.

My latest idea is "Unique trees", those will also be in the Diverse Trees Expanded pack (same with above Pine).. Very rare trees that will be just on 1-2 spots in the game. Here's a bristle cone pine: https://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/images/141-1-1358645382.jpg

..similar to how i created my Overhaul for Fallout:NV where some trees were just in 1-3 spots to bring a little more fun to exploration.

Looks fantastic. I am grabbing it now for testing in the latest STEP release.

EDIT: Posted the latest images on the wiki of SFO (175) with Diverse Trees 11a accompanied by a full STEP install (as it now stands).

This excludes Lush Grass, Lush Trees and Glorious Grasses so that we keep whatever Vurt changes. Previous screens do not use these grass enhancements either, so it looks like the 175 grass settings in the plugin have been altered? Any way we can get more grass in there?\\But also notice that the new tree meshes fro DT really add a nice contrast, and Lush Trees is obsolete with this add-on, I think.

• 2 weeks later...

No worries, I have, and if all is roughly equal with v1.75 with Diverse trees, there is about a 10% FPS impact and a fairly significant VRAM demand.

Constraining the 2048 normal maps to 1024 using DDSopt helps a lot with the VRAM issue with minimal quality impact.

looks like you're using 1.75 though because in 1.76 i changed the trunks of those trees and the vertex painting is done differently to make them look better in the distance..

I'm not sure which versions they are...you've been updating so often it's hard to keep track. :P I know that the first is one version and the second is another version (maybe an update of the same version). I'll update in a bit and see how they look and check performance.

Yeah that looks about right. It's a engine limitation, it can only render shadows on trees for a rather short range, unless you really tweak the .ini to make shadows appear in the long distance, but that comes at a performanc drop.

After shadows are disabled you have to somehow fake the lightning so that they dont become completely bright in the distance. I've vertex painted them so that the underside is darker and the upper side is brighter. While it doesnt look perfect it at least looks like there's some shading going on on the leaves planes, even in the distance. I dont really see a problem with your screens, in the first screen the underside is maybe a bit too black compared to the rest but other than that it's looks fine imo. I think it might look slightly better on my machine, maybe because it was tweaked using those settings (VandB and RCRN). https://static.skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/images/141-1-1359757526.jpg shadows are set to a minimum here because i worked on the shading..