Skyrim Flora Overhaul (by vurt)

JudgmentJay

Funny enough for the last 2 days I've been trying out 182b and pretty happy with the custom trees. I used to have a lot of odd shadows with them but it seems to have resolved itself. (Via ENB or Vurt not sure)

I thought you were recommending the Basic version in SR Legondary Neovalen. Why the switch?

Funny enough for the last 2 days I've been trying out 182b and pretty happy with the custom trees. I used to have a lot of odd shadows with them but it seems to have resolved itself. (Via ENB or Vurt not sure)

I thought you were recommending the Basic version in SR Legondary Neovalen. Why the switch?

The only reason I ended up switching from Full(Original SR) to Basic (Current LE) was mostly shadow issues on the new trees. I actually like the added diversity quite a lot.

The only reason I ended up switching from Full(Original SR) to Basic (Current LE) was mostly shadow issues on the new trees. I actually like the added diversity quite a lot.

I used to use the 1.79e and loved it except I kept getting weird LOD glitches like floating trees and 2d trees no matter what I did. I tried 2048 LODs for Vurt's but that didn't help either. Only switching to 1.81 basic fixed it for me :-/.

There is the odd LOD error with the full version every few locations...

Just converted to basic again, and the only trees I actually miss are the big ones in the tundra... I always liked those for some reason.

The extra FPS is also a nice addition, as well as helping fight ILS.

I am in the middle of a comprehensive compare of all of the latest Vurts. I'll post a gallery later this evening.

observations:

• 182 LODs blend better in general
  • There is still inconsistency in snowy pines versus snowy pine LOD (182 snowy pines are same as 179e, but LOD is a little different)
  • I prefer the aspens and their LOD in 179e (more red variation ... 182 converted all to yellow)
  • Tundra grass around Whiterun no longer matches LOD grass (179e did)
181b basic with the recolored pines/LOD still looks best overall, IMO.

I am working on some fixes to 182 and will upload a patch once I finish ... the 4k LODs are not easy to work with, because mipmaps come out too dark in most of my attempts (and generating mips takes too long in Gimp).

• Aspen from 179e
  • certain grass textures from 179e (agree that the yellow grass did not work in many areas)
  • whiter snowy mines
  • fixed LOD where applicable

I am in the middle of a comprehensive compare of all of the latest Vurts. I'll post a gallery later this evening.

observations:

• There is still inconsistency in snowy pines versus snowy pine LOD (182 snowy pines are same as 179e, but LOD is a little different)
  • I prefer the aspens and their LOD in 179e (more red variation ... 182 converted all to yellow)

I am working on some fixes to 182 and will upload a patch once I finish ... the 4k LODs are not easy to work with, because mipmaps come out too dark in most of my attempts (and generating mips takes too long in Gimp).

• Aspen from 179e
  • certain grass textures from 179e (agree that the yellow grass did not work in many areas)
  • whiter snowy mines
Z, why do you feel that 181b basic with recolored pines/lod looks the best? Are you saying that because of stability? Or actual visual look? I'm thinking about switching to 182 but I'm afraid of the same wacky LOD issues I had gotten before plus instability. 

Which dds plugin do you use for dds if mips take a long time ?

Mine does it automatically depending on the since of the main image. Forgot the name of it but figured it was something they all did.

Doing it manually for every mip was a pain until I found that...

observations:

• Aspen from 179e
  • whiter snowy mines
Z, why do you feel that 181b basic with recolored pines/lod looks the best? Are you saying that because of stability? Or actual visual look? I'm thinking about switching to 182 but I'm afraid of the same wacky LOD issues I had gotten before plus instability. 
I recolored the snowy pines and most of the LOD for 181b, so that is why I think it looks the best ;) You will see in the gallery I link this evening. Not sure how well it looks with ENB, but either way, 181b has mismatched default LOD for most tree colors for some reason.

Basic version is also best for stability.

Which dds plugin do you use for dds if mips take a long time ?

Mine does it automatically depending on the since of the main image. Forgot the name of it but figured it was something they all did.

Doing it manually for every mip was a pain until I found that...

I use Lanczos per SparrowPrince's recommendation. It works very nicely for the 2k LOD I did for 181b, but I am still trying to get a good result with 182 4k .... I am assuming it is the mips, but I could be wrong (using DXT5 compression). I might try DDSopt though next time. I don't know of the automatic plugin you speak of.

observations:

• Aspen from 179e
  • whiter snowy mines
I recolored the snowy pines and most of the LOD for 181b, so that is why I think it looks the best ;) You will see in the gallery I link this evening. Not sure how well it looks with ENB, but either way, 181b has mismatched default LOD for most tree colors for some reason.

Basic version is also best for stability.

Ok great. I'll look forward to looking at the comparison's. Did you do your own recoloring for 181b? Or are you referring to the Optional recolored pines/lod patch that you can get from the SFO mod page? If you have your own 181b patch, can you post it?

Ok great. I'll look forward to looking at the comparison's. Did you do your own recoloring for 181b? Or are you referring to the Optional recolored pines/lod patch that you can get from the SFO mod page? If you have your own 181b patch, can you post it?

Yep, that's mine. Trying to do something similar for 182 but including more changes.

This is the one I use. It has automatic mip map generation. 

Yep, I use the same, but the Lanczos filter. It takes about 3 minutes for the export to save ... assume it is the mipmapping, but I suppose it could also be the conversion and dithering.