General Feedback

Hi nameerf, I wrote a post with modified instructions for the merge to be used if desired. It used the NV guide format. https://forum.step-project.com/topic/10041-instructions-for-using-merge-plugins-utility/

I have merged them successfully myself, using the Merge Plugins mod, I pointed this out so the instructions get updated in the guide, which is done per your instructions, so mission accomplished [ ::):] .

Thank you anyway

I left the edits but it isn't recommended; the enb tool is preferred since it prevents users from entering incorrect values. The STEP Skyrim guide now shows only the use of the tool to determine memory size.

Feel free to remove this if for some reason does not help. I thought its always nice for the user to have more than one alternatives.

If LOOT had found an dependency it would have loaded them in a different order; of course LOOT doesn't catch everything. I will check (or you can in xEdit), and if it looks lile Xepha is right some rules need to be added to the LOOT userlist maintained for the guide

OK I might check this out.

You can but of course MO will only provide one to the game engine

First let me clarify, if you see the actual files being installed, you'll notice that there are multiple copies of multiple files, all together summing up to some MBs. And if the MO mods folder resides in an SSD (common nowadays), it would be nice to save some space.

I'm not sure. The Nexus description sounded like it is dependent on the sound hardware used so possibly both are needed

OK (the reasoning for the deletion was the same as above).

It depends on what you want; there aren't any patches that cover all possibilities. There is no obvious best answer. Once Mator adds some revised object protypes to Mator Smash (the current ones are incomplete for a few object types) we can begin using it for creating patches. It will eliminate need for many of the patches that are just compatibility patches (vs. ones that change stats for improved balance) and it is done dynamically vs. being hard coded to a few possibilities.

Let me rephrase my question. If I want to install pretty much everything in the guide, including most of the optional mods, but I want to leave out the 20th century weapons mod, what is the current "best" (meaning I won't except everything to be perfect but as close as it gets) way to this?

Thanks for the detailed response.

Edit: just noticed that you misinterpreted the following part:

- In Home brewed sound pack: the "sound\fx\fst\conc_solid\landsneak" must be changed to "sound\fx\fst\conc_solid\sneak", I forgot to edit it.

I fixed this, but it is somewhat moot since this folder is later hidden.

The default folder name is correct, in the instructions below where it says to hide the following folders is incorrect, it says "landsneak" instead of "sneak".

Anyway I edited it in the guide.

Edit2: typos

Edited by nameerf

Something else I noticed in the guide which isn't very clear.

In the instructions for the Fallout 3 Redesigned mod in the second line says:

If MMM is not being used double click the mod in the left pane of MO, select Optional ESPs, and move Mart's Mutant Mod - Project Beauty.esp into Optional ESPs.

However, when installing the mod, this particular plugin is already in the optional esps by default.

Does the Blackened patch later "contain" this plugin? If no, then it should be moved to the available esps if MMM is also installed and the instructions must be updated to the opposite of the current ones like this:

"If MMM is being used double click the mod and in the left pane of MO, select Optional ESPs, and move Mart's Mutant Mod - Project Beauty.esp into Available ESPs."
Edited by nameerf

I'm trying to solve the face, body, cloths meshes/textures problem which occurs around the neck of the NPCs and doing some tests, so I'm examining more carefully the involved mods. I'll post my findings soon, it might help someone.

Anyway doing this, I noticed yet another thing in Fallout 3 Redesigned mod. It comes with a merged esm plugin for the main file and the two dlcs.

Is there a reason for not using it?

The guide should say to use the merged plugin introduced in the most recent version; good catch. The guide will be changed to use the merged version.

It's important with the body mods that the appropriate bash tags get applied to the main mod (e.g., FO3 Redesigned for female faces) so Wrye Flash preserves the changes they make, overriding changes from various other plugins that load later. LOOT will show the correct bash tags, but unfortunately Wrye Flash doesn't read the LOOT masterlist to get these tags. Adding bash tags can be done manually in Wrye Flash or in FO3Edit, or run the Generate tags for Wrye Bash script mentioned in the guide which determines and adds the tags to the plugin header directly. This tool sometimes adds tags that aren't the best choice, but with the main body mods this isn't an issue.

Something else I noticed in the guide which isn't very clear.

In the instructions for the Fallout 3 Redesigned mod in the second line says:

However, when installing the mod, this particular plugin is already in the optional esps by default.

Does the Blackened patch later "contain" this plugin? If no, then it should be moved to the available esps if MMM is also installed and the instructions must be updated to the opposite of the current ones like this:

"If MMM is being used double click the mod and in the left pane of MO, select Optional ESPs, and move Mart's Mutant Mod - Project Beauty.esp into Available ESPs."

The Blackened patch that includes both MMM and Project Beauty includes all the records in the "Mart's Mutant Mod - Project Beauty.esp" plugin. There are some differences, but it looks like the Blackened authors made these changes to improve balance. The guide will be revised to eliminate the use of the "Mart's Mutant Mod - Project Beauty.esp" plugin when the Blackened patch is use. Thanks for noticing this.

It's important with the body mods that the appropriate bash tags get applied to the main mod (e.g., FO3 Redesigned for female faces) so Wrye Flash preserves the changes they make, overriding changes from various other plugins that load later. LOOT will show the correct bash tags, but unfortunately Wrye Flash doesn't read the LOOT masterlist to get these tags. Adding bash tags can be done manually in Wrye Flash or in FO3Edit, or run the Generate tags for Wrye Bash script mentioned in the guide which determines and adds the tags to the plugin header directly. This tool sometimes adds tags that aren't the best choice, but with the main body mods this isn't an issue.

Yeah, I know this, I've double checked the bash tags. The problem that I said I had in this thread, wasn't about the textures but mainly the weird join between neck and body, as well as the black rectangles which appear in some NPCs clothes (e.g. Moriarty). I managed to solve most of the problems but I still have some minor issues with different skin tone color of face and body in some NPCs and with some outfits where the body textures look weird. Anyway I'll post my findings in a few days because I am currently busy.

Also to answer one of my own questions (in the previous page), I checked the esps of Dynamic Weather and they all depend only in the esm plugin and not in Xepha's Dynamic Weather - Main + DLC Merged.esp. So I guess there isn't any reason to place them after the main esp plugin. Although, I want to ask this: if for tidiness sake I want to do this (place them after the main esp), will there be any problems (since they don't seem to have conflicts)?

Finally edit this line: "In addition to those, there are a few mods (Project Beauty - Point Lookout.esp and, if MMM is used, Mart's Mutant Mod - Project Beauty.esp) that appear purple", in the bashed patch section now that those plugins doesn't exist. The only plugin with the nomerge tag IIRC is the schematics one. I will have done this my self but I'm pretty busy.

Edited by nameerf

I have a theory on the issues being reported by CASM.  Installed this guide on my desktop computer where the save in mod organizer are on a hard drive, never had a problem.  I copied the same build to my son's MSI gaming laptop.  He's got a powerful rig but was having crashes when he opened doors and just at different spots during the game.  His CASM saves go on an SSD drive.  I deactivated the CASM mod on his rig, and the crashes stopped.  For those not having issues with the mod or having issues with the mod, would you confirm what type of drive you are saving on.

We are just loving Fallout 3 modded.  My son and I have totally different styles.  I'm the good guy, saves the town, calls in the law to get the bad guys.  My son already shot traders to get their loot, took the money to blow up the town, yesh, what did I raise?! 

And that Super Duper Mart! I'm getting my @ss handed to me, I managed to get to the food but I can't get out! It's brutal in there! But lot's of fun.

Edited by mcshame

I've had problems with CASM on older hard drives, newer hard drives, and SSDs.

It's a tougher game than Fallout NV; danger is clearly present as soon as you leave Vault 101. It's all too often easy to get inside a building and then find that there are some tough bad NPCs you didn't notice as you entered, or who entered after you. But of course you already knew this haven't played a lot of RPGs.

And that Super Duper Mart! I'm getting my @ss handed to me, I managed to get to the food but I can't get out! It's brutal in there! But lot's of fun.

I made the mistake, to go there early! If only I knew.. I thought I was playing Dark Souls  :lol:   Totally different experience than vanilla..

Actually I had install the whole guide in the past but I didn't had the time to actually play it, due to RL issues. Although I like doing stuff like that, for the learning factor alone. Now I have more time to spare, so I'm actually playing it and it's lots of fun. I just have to adjust to the increased difficulty..All in all the game looks (except the minor body/neck texture problem..) and plays great!

There are WMK entries for mods to the Reservist Rifle. Do you have one of these mods and it can't be installed? 

Yes, Laser Sight for instance. I can add mods to the sniper rifle. I get the "currently equipped weapon cannot receive mods" message.

Here is my load order just in case

Fallout3.esm

Anchorage.esm

ThePitt.esm

StreetLights.esm

BrokenSteel.esm

PointLookout.esm

Zeta.esm

Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch.esm

CALIBR.esm

Advanced Recon Tech.esm

aHUD.esm