General Feedback

Just some feedback further to this, I have had no issues yet with this esp disabled - the Nuka Cola machine looks fine, I believe the esp is used mainly for the ability to blow up the machine (though I may be wrong)

Cheers,

Drav666

I agree with this also - I've positioned between NMC and UTO. I also prefer the NMC cars so have disabled those in Bueno.

Cheers,

Drav666

I also strongly prefer NMC's vehicles. The rest hasn't been as clear, though there are alot of textures to compare.

Hi

I read in the ENBoost section that now there is some ENB player recommendation, that great !

But i think you need to note some advice about the using of a real ENB than ENBoost because some mod don't work well or there is issue with.

What i know is this:

if different light source point on the same texture, it can be glitchy or ugly and other bug, and when you use an ENB + Flashlight you can see weird thing ...

An other issue, a major problem for me and that why i don't (cant in fact) use ENB is with:

Advanced Recon Thermal Nightvision

From Gopher.

Those mod are totaly incompatible with ENB and if there is fix for them (i think no, there is nothing on nexus or form gopher and supporter in the comment section to fix this) some advice can be good i think even if they aren't in the "Core" or in "Optional".

But, maybe that not usefull, i don't know, just try to help :)

Edited by varrgas

The list was added based on interest in the possibilities. The guide already had a paragraph about forums where recommendations are discussed in more detail. Rather than adding more material to the guide itself it might make sense to add a topic in the support section for comments such as the one you included.

Here is potentially useful ini tweak.

[Landscape]
fLandTextureTilingMult = 

This alters the landscape's tile size for textures.

There is a trade off of density VS tiling

I dont mind a little tiling as long as the textures appear to be detailed.

With Vanilla textures a value of 6.0 seems to work, but a value of 3 would probably be great for 1k landscape textures.

I used this tweak in the oblivion guide.

Speaking of oblivion, FO3 doesnt seem to have the same issues with memory as Oblivion or Skyrim suffer. FO3 seems create extra heap blocks when required.

<snip>

Speaking of oblivion, FO3 doesnt seem to have the same issues with memory as Oblivion or Skyrim suffer. FO3 seems create extra heap blocks when required.

That may also have a lot to do with the Steam, which I believe your copy of Oblivion needs. The retail version suffers no issues with memory in my experience.

I have a Steam version of FO3 GOTY, but I started with a retail CD. Mod Organizer doesn't seem to use Steam in FO3 without some additional effort. This suggests that ENBoost is less necessary in FO3 than it is in Skyrim. I have been using ENBoostin case it was important, but I don't ever find FO3 needing very large amounts of VRAM. If a lot of large (2K or 4K) textures are used I find VRAM use can exceed 2 Gb, but it never gets close to the 4 Gb limit of my graphics card.

I have a Steam version of FO3 GOTY, but I started with a retail CD. Mod Organizer doesn't seem to use Steam in FO3 without some additional effort. This suggests that ENBoost is less necessary in FO3 than it is in Skyrim. I have been using ENBoostin case it was important, but I don't ever find FO3 needing very large amounts of VRAM. If a lot of large (2K or 4K) textures are used I find VRAM use can exceed 2 Gb, but it never gets close to the 4 Gb limit of my graphics card.

Its not VRAM that is the troublesome part, its the RAM.

As far as I know dx9 game cache the textures inside ram under the same executable.

The executable is limited to something like 3.1~3.8 GB, this includes all the required stuff to run the game(heaps and all) + texture cache.

You also have to worry about fragmentation of the memory but I don't know how the texture cache behaves. I did poke around with the heap replacement and it seems to create a ton of low fragmentation blocks, like I would expect. I can look again but as far as I know Oblivion doesnt do that and just restricts it to the large heap(256MB).

In oblivion there is a mod called MoreHeap which appears to be quite similar to how FO3 behaves out of the box.

I stopped recommending the 4GB patch because win10 isnt too happy with data being out that far and causes intermittent crashes with an 0x5c exception. I dont think the extra memory would even be required because I suggest people use ENBoost, MoreHeap(backup heap), and the heap replacement(probably not needed) from OSR. I doubt oblivion will ever hit the 3GB mark with that setup. It also appears to be the most stable.

Also, on this build, I no longer have any macrostutter when Full models load in when ENBoost is enabled.

I have a retail disc around here somewhat but I dont think Bethsoft would break something in the memory to implement steamworks. I spent a few days poking around with this awhile back with another person and that is what I found.

In Fallout 3 the RAM usage never gets very high. I wouldn't expect much RAM is used for caching textures. How does ENBoost help in FO3? Is there still a lot of fragmentation?

By my understanding all dx9 have some sort of texture cache that is mirrored in memory, is this incorrect?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I'd really like some help before I start disabling and enabling mods to figure out whats wrong. I have Raiders running around with pink/purple limbs and I thought to myself "Hm, that doesn't seem very raider-ly."

Also another bug I noticed was that everyone has these weird dull grayish/brown eyes.

sMLqbzT.pngLFLbY8v.jpg

That sounds like a missing texture problem. It's possible that during installation some textures didn't get installed. MMM makes some changes to the raiders; if you installed this check to see if all the textures got installed properly for the main MMM mod and all the support mods listed in the guide.

Hey I'd really like some help before I start disabling and enabling mods to figure out whats wrong. I have Raiders running around with pink/purple limbs and I thought to myself "Hm, that doesn't seem very raider-ly."

Also another bug I noticed was that everyone has these weird dull grayish/brown eyes.

sMLqbzT.pngLFLbY8v.jpg

I just recently set up Fallout 3 using Clear and Present Danger and had the exact same issue.  It was strange because my last install didn't have this issue.  I ended up setting up a test profile and enabled mods one by one in the same order as the guide and tested after each to find out which was causing the issue.  I thought it was a texture issue but after a certain number of mods, I found the problem happened.  It seems very much that if I have over 212 active plugins (even when using a bashed patch) the problem starts happening.  I used Merge Plugins to create a series of merged patches of related mods to lower the plugin count.  I got it below 212 and the problem mostly went away.  Lowered it further and it completely went away.  I am at 196 active plugins now with no issues.

The worst part was that it was kind of intermittent.  It always happened as I was going into Springvale.  As I reached the bottom of the hill and the Red Rocket came into view, the textures disappeared and a bunch of exclamation marks appeared around the Red Rocket station.  There was one visible in the distance at the school too.  I would get them sometimes in the Vault prior to leaving too.  The pipboy was all purple and some characters left hands were purple under the pipboy glove.  Some hair and skin textures were showing the purple and some wall textures would have exclamation marks.  I would start a new game and it might be OK all through the vault and then fail at Springvale or it would show varying levels of texture issues in the vault and still having the exact same problem at Springvale.  Even the ESC key would fail to function in Springvale.  But once I lowered the plugin count below 212 it worked except for the odd issue but at about 210 it completely stopped so far as I could see.

Does this help? 

You must have a lot of plugins from mods that are not in the guide. I have the guide plugins and some extras and I don't have anywhere near 210 plugins

Really?  I followed the guide to set it up.  The only extras I added were a couple things I happen to like...GNR Building Redux and the Intro bus and Dupont Alignment, along with a couple of the user suggestions FCM, Grave Digger and Proper Drinking.  And I did the bashed patch at the end which merged quite a few mods.

I may have to create another copy and go through the guide again just to see where I messed up then.  I've set up FO3 with older versions of the guide multiple times and this is the first I ever had any issues.  I had never felt the need to use the older Merge Plugins scripts or the newer Merge Plugins until this round.  Obviously my move to the Steam version from the CD version wouldn't have done anything (I literally wore the CD out, there are chips out of the disc around the center hole and cracks radiating from it...used it too much over the years  ::):) and I've been modding FO3 for years so it's not my first kick at the can or anything.  I must have done something somewhere then.  Interesting.  Thanks for pointing that out.  It's kind of fun messing with this stuff so I'll go back and see where I went wrong.