General Feedback

As mentioned in the description of the FWE mod in the guide:

"The FWE mod provides most of the settings menus for FO3. However, as DanielCoffey notes, these menus are not available until after exiting Vault101 or the Alternative Start shack. The menus for repairing limb damage aren't available until then; be careful with limb damage until then."

I personally use the standard VATS, but some users prefer the other options.

The FO3 ENBs aren't as sophisticated as the ones for Skyrim. There have been some ENB recommendations in this forum thread; perhaps those using an ENB could provide some comments.

Ugh, I can't believe I missed that in the guide.  I thought I was reading closely but apparently not.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I'll try the alternate start option next test and see if I can figure it out.  The alt start should also help me better evaluate some ENBs.  I've dled a few ENBs for FO3 and will be testing them.  I'm wondering though if the colors between FO3 and FNV aren't close enough that ENBs from the FNV Nexus won't work with FO3 as well.  If anyone has experience with this I'd appreciate some feedback.  

Thanks.

It easy to miss such things in a long guide. This has now also been added to the settings part of the guide available here.

When you're trying out different ENB options you may be able to use the ENB Manager for switching between them; I haven't tried it with FO3 yet.

I've been using the ENB manager and it works great with FO.  I've found a few that I mostly like and the FNV ENBs seem to work great with FO3.  I'll keep testing but I've got it down to 4 or 5 that look really good.

I've finally got all the patches dled and just need to do the finishing steps.  I've avoided adding any other mods since your guide seems really complete on it's own but I was wondering if you've tried Darkened Interiors.  It says it works with RIL so it seems appealing but I'm not sure if it's really needed with your guide set up.  The few interiors I've tested with it really seem to depend on the ENB more than anything else.  I'll probably try using it but thought I'd ask before I add something troublesome to my game.

Thanks.

I've got it all installed and it looks great, thanks!  I thought Darkened Interiors was compatible with RIL but I was wrong so I dropped that before beginning the game.  I found that ENBs Enhanced Shaders, Midhrastic and Samsara all look great with your guide.  Just a few questions, please:

1.  I was wondering if there's any sorting mods that you prefer.  I was going to have WF deal with it but I see you say it causes problems so I didn't.  The pipboy, however, has nothing on SkyUI so I was hoping something would help me sort through the mess that's already accumulating in my inventory.

2.  I'm also wondering about the timescale.  You mention it in the Powered Power Armor description but I didn't see it mentioned in the WF installation.  I see that FWE has an option for it though and I'm wondering if you recommend changing it.  Default is 1:5 so my first day in the Wastelands feels like it's taking forever.  I thought 1:18 or 1:24 might be better but I didn't want to upset the balance of the game ( especially with primary needs requiring sleep and, as far as I know, FO lacks the bedrolls that Skyrim has ).  I've also only needed to eat once and not drink at all ( currently 8 pm in my first day, during which I've done several Megaton quests and cleared out the fire ants in the nearby town ).  I tweaked those settings but I'm wondering what the consensus setting is.  The settings your guide links to say to play with it but since it's just in +/- increments I'm hoping someone has found a realistic setting.

3.  Finally, I did have a couple bandits with only heads and arms, their bodies being completely invisible.  The outfits they were wearing started with T3.  Any idea which mod that might be so I can double check the installation?

Thanks.

1. Wrye Flash includes an optional simple sorting feature. There are several FO3 mods that provide sorting but I haven't used them myself. Perhaps other users who have tried different sorting mods might have suggestions.

2. The usual outdoor timescale used for Bethesda games is 1:20. Indoors and in caves a slower timescale is useful, but having different timescales requires a mod. I haven't used it yet but Immersive Timescales might work; a few Nexus users report problems with it but it might work for you.

3. T3T is a modder named "The Third Type" . There are T3T weapons in FWE, but I'm not aware of any mods with bandit NPCs or outfits from T3T. A lot of the the pipboy icons come from T3T.

Thanks.

1.  I was going to use the Wrye Flash option but the guide said it could cause problems with some mods.  Does it just not recognize certain items so they don't get marked or can it cause more serious issues?

2.  From what I understand from the FWE page is that it has a timescale which is set to a global timescale of 1:5 by default ( https://sites.google.com/site/fo3wanderersedition/detailed-changes/06immersion ).  1:5 was way to slow for me but 1:12 seems to be better and I might try 1:18 as well.   Adding 1 to the hunger and thirst rates seems to be making it more realistic as well.

3.  It's strange because it's not purple like the texture is missing ( or the red box with the ! ) but the raiders are just floating heads and hands.  Maybe a mesh issue?  I'll be sure to get the full name of the outfit the next time I see it and hopefully that will lead me to the problem.  The two raiders that I killed that were wearing the problem outfit had outfits without an immersive name ( one was "T3BrightDress" or something like that), which seemed odd as well.  Of course, when I looted the outfit the body showed so it's not an issue with the raider.

• 4 weeks later...

Some interesting mods to consider

Proper Drinking at Sinks

Introduction:
No more slurping water from sinks. This simple mod will let your character drink from any sink with a glass, like you would in real life.

Metal Boxes

I never liked the "metal boxes" scattered all over the wasteland.... they seemed out of place to me. So I reskinned them to look like cardboard boxes and shipping crates. I also made ammo boxes both military and civilian

FCM - Final Courier Mod

This mod introduces a new faction named Potomac Express Company which works in the postal sector. It runs its business at Canterbury Commons, in the building replacing the ruins behind Joe Porter's diner.

Wasteland Grave Digger

You spend day after day in a harsh cruel wasteland. You see tragedy and death and sometimes wish there were
something you could do for those lost souls that you come across. Now you can, introducing Wasteland Grave
Digger. with shovel in hand you can pay your respect in a small way, giving them a proper burial.

Grave Digger lets you dig a grave and bury any dead  NPC.

From section Using Fallout New Vegas Mods for High Resolution Clutter, etc.

Files: Ojo Bueno Objects V1

The textures below are used only in FNV, so they can be safely deleted (92mb)

clutter\garbagecan\garbagecanurban01Bloody.dds   -   Delete the whole "garbagecan" folder

clutter\junk\gscrate.dds

clutter\junk\sscratetall.dds
clutter\junk\sscratetall_n.dds
clutter\mojaveexpress_dropbox\mojaveexpress_dropbox01.dds   -   Delete the whole "mojaveexpress_dropbox" folder
clutter\mojaveexpress_dropbox\mojaveexpress_dropbox01_n.dds
clutter\mojaveexpress_dropbox\mojaveexpress_dropbox02.dds
clutter\mojaveexpress_dropbox\mojaveexpress_dropbox02_n.dds
clutter\nvwoodbarrel\nvwoodbarrel.dds   -   Delete the whole "nvwoodbarrel" folder
clutter\nvwoodbarrel\nvwoodbarrel_m.dds
clutter\nvwoodbarrel\nvwoodbarrel_n.dds
clutter\ssvendingmachine\ssvendingmachine.dds   -   Delete the whole "ssvendingmachine" folder
clutter\ssvendingmachine\ssvendingmachine_g.dds
clutter\ssvendingmachine\ssvendingmachine_n.dds
clutter\dinotoy.dds
clutter\dinotoy_n.dds

effects\e_tarnishdull.dds  -  Delete the whole "effects" folder

electrocity\toolbox.dds  -  Delete the whole "electrocity" folder
electrocity\toolbox_n.dds

Note: Although this folder name is from FNV, you can still use this .dds file as a replacer for the "toolbox01.dds" texture. Copy it and then delete the folder. To see how it compares to the vanilla one and the one from this same pack, but from the folder that FO3 will actually use (the default path) - \textures\clutter\junk\toolbox.dds - click here. Image sequence: 1. Ojobueno texture from "electrocity" folder; 2. Ojobueno texture from "junk" folder and 3. Vanilla texture

repcon\reproctoy.dds   -   Delete the whole "repcon" folder
repcon\reproctoy_g.dds
repcon\reproctoy_n.dds

textures\clutter\jukebox\jbscreen_n.dds  and

textures\clutter\billiards\pooltable_m.dds  don't have their diffuse maps so delete these two also.

Edited by Gazda

There is an updated version of the OJO BUENO FNV mod with more textures and meshes. This has been added to the FO3 guide, and your exclusion list was used (along with additional exclusions for some of the mew resources).

If you happen to check these textures vs. those in other mods like NMC let us know so the guide can be updated to emphasize the preferred resources.

I have installed the Performance pack and the corresponding Vending Machine update file and the update comes with an esp that requires FalloutNV.esm to which MO throws up a missing master flag.  I have disabled this esp for now and will let you know how I get on.

Edited by MalekBrood

Just my two cents but UHQ Terrain Overhaul has much better textures than Bueno does ( ultra vs ultra ) both in terms of texture quality, 2k vs 1k and 4k vs 2k, and in terms of matching the geography ( northeast vs southwest ).  I was going through and deleting them one by one but I finally just deleted the whole landscape folder in Bueno.  UTO has better grass as well, IMO.

I have installed the Performance pack and the corresponding Vending Machine update file and the update comes with an esp that requires FalloutNV.esm to which MO throws up a missing master flag.  I have disabled this esp for now and will let you know how I get on.

Just some feedback further to this, I have had no issues yet with this esp disabled - the Nuka Cola machine looks fine, I believe the esp is used mainly for the ability to blow up the machine (though I may be wrong)

Cheers,

Drav666

Just my two cents but UHQ Terrain Overhaul has much better textures than Bueno does ( ultra vs ultra ) both in terms of texture quality, 2k vs 1k and 4k vs 2k, and in terms of matching the geography ( northeast vs southwest ).  I was going through and deleting them one by one but I finally just deleted the whole landscape folder in Bueno.  UTO has better grass as well, IMO.

I agree with this also - I've positioned between NMC and UTO. I also prefer the NMC cars so have disabled those in Bueno.

Cheers,

Drav666