A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

@ cstarkey42 : +1

That's it : Adaptative Vsync 1/2 through nvidia Inspector (that's when I play on my 60 Hz TV, when I use my 120 Hz computer screen for testing purposes I set it to 1/4), ifpsclamp=30 in the general section of Skyrim.ini,VSync disabled in both enblocal and Skyrimprefs.ini). I've tried many combinations and so far this one gives the best results imho.

There's a drawback however since half-refresh rate Adaptative Vsync dramatically increases loading times. Fortunately there's à fix :

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/59603/?

Skyrimprefs.ini's iPresentInterval, whether it's turned on or off, does nothing to your game. You have to add it to Skyrim.ini to make it count, I believe.

Source: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/6532-new-step-vsync-settings-all-step-users-affected/

I followed your setting and holy crap I was getting 700 FPS and everything was running on fast forward. I was surprised to see CPU/GPU were still good even with the fast motion stuff going on.

Tear Control: Adaptive (I had to guess this is what you meant by Adaptive V-sync)

V-Sync: 1/2 for 60 monitors

ifpsclamp = 30 in Skyrim.ini

iPresentInterval = 0 in Skyrim.ini, not Skyrimprefs for no engine V-Sync

EnableVSync=false in enblocal.ini

So how do I bring it back down to 30 FPS instead of 800? I did follow the exact instructions and I checked them again before posting to make sure. I am also following STEP's ini guide, minus what Caius changed. Thanks :)

Last edit: Okay, I removed ifpsclamp and my FPS dropped down to where things were back to normal, but I kept seeing my FPS go up and down from 80 to 500 and so on. I think this is why it's best to just listen to the experts, so I'm going back to STEP's method, even if I get jacked up FPS, but now I know there really isn't a good fps limiter around for me.

Final Edit for anyone wondering :) I added ifpsclamp back to 30, but this time I enabled fps limit in the inspector. That fixed it for me :) Game is running on 30 FPS, and better than using ENBoost's limiter too.

Extra note, I decided to take the time to check out differences between caius's method and STEP's. The 30 FPS limit is nice, because I don't get any lag spikes this low, but the 60 FPS is smoother and the spiking is minor, only in major cities :), so I went back to STEP. Thanks though, I like messing with stuff just to make sure there is no other way and I see STEP knows this stuff better than the rest of the internet.

Edited by FuzzRocket9

Thank you CJ2311 and Nearox for putting the Explorer's Guide together for the community.

With STEP v2.2.9.1 Guide official release coming real soon I have a few questions.

1) Do you plan to update REGS to fit the new STEP configuration?

I believe that Relighting Skyrim would be incompatible with Realistic Room Rental Enhanced because it alters interior lighting. Of course using Realistic Room Rental Basic will solve the problem.

These two mods are part of SR:LE and Neo doesn't include any compatibility patch records for them in the SR:LE patch, so he must not feel any such patches are needed. I also don't think that any changes are currently needed in the most recent REGS - SRLE patch created for the REGS guide, by the way, but I need to check since SR:LE now uses version 2 of Enhanced Lights and FX.

JK's Skyrim and Expanded Towns and Cities (No Inns) shouldn't be affected because Relighting Skyrim only touches interiors, it's my understanding.

2) How would REGS Patches be affected by STEP v2.2.9.1?

Namely "NSutR + RRR Patch", due to Realistic Room Rental and "REGS Patch - STEP Extended".

When I looked at the "REGS Patch - STEP Extended" in TEs5Edit I felt this did patch isn't currently necessary at all given all the various other patches in the REGS mods that cover the same records. Since STEP 2.2.9.1 Core will include a version of both Relighting Skyrim and Enhanced Lighting for ENB - LITE, I expect compatibility between STEP Core/Extended and REGS will actually be improved.

I expect the  "NSutR + RRR Patch" is still needed.

Again, thank you for your great work in putting REGS together.

These two mods are part of SR:LE and Neo doesn't include any compatibility patch records for them in the SR:LE patch, so he must not feel any such patches are needed. I also don't think that any changes are currently needed in the most recent REGS - SRLE patch created for the REGS guide, by the way, but I need to check since SR:LE now uses version 2 of Enhanced Lights and FX.

Neo does include his own esp for Relighting Skyrim which is for compatibility with ELFX but might also help with compatibility with RRR.  He doesn't say for sure, only pointing out that it's a smaller versioin of RS for use with ELFX.  Regardless, this is something people will want to be sure to be aware of if STEP now will include RS and users try to install SRLE on top of it.

Hi everyone, I'm currently in the process of starting the SR:LE guide and would very much like to install the REGS mods as well. So my question is do I have to install JKs (I really wouldn't if I don't have to, it's to much of a performance hit) to use the patches at the end of the guide?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Extra note, I decided to take the time to check out differences between caius's method and STEP's. The 30 FPS limit is nice, because I don't get any lag spikes this low, but the 60 FPS is smoother and the spiking is minor, only in major cities :), so I went back to STEP. Thanks though, I like messing with stuff just to make sure there is no other way and I see STEP knows this stuff better than the rest of the internet.

Of course, STEP's recommendations are solid and suit most users. I really hate frame spikes though, and even if I seldom dip below 30 fps on my heavily modded setup this is already too frequent for my tastes and enough to justify the aforementioned method. I didn't feel the need to use NVInspector FPS cap, will give it a try. Thanks for your feedback !

Hi there,

I seem to have a problem with ETaC and Morthal Pain. I have installed both chapters of ORS, together with the linker. I haven't started neither of them yet. The problem is that when I go to Morthal, I see a huge Dremora in the middle of the lake, named Oblivion's Fury. He just stands there, doing nothing, and he can't be interacted with.

I searched this problem on the net, and all the results point to a incompatibility between ETaC and Morthal Pain. I have installed the ORS patch from ETaC Patches and I'm also using the REGS patch. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi there,

I seem to have a problem with ETaC and Morthal Pain. I have installed both chapters of ORS, together with the linker. I haven't started neither of them yet. The problem is that when I go to Morthal, I see a huge Dremora in the middle of the lake, named Oblivion's Fury. He just stands there, doing nothing, and he can't be interacted with.

I searched this problem on the net, and all the results point to a incompatibility between ETaC and Morthal Pain. I have installed the ORS patch from ETaC Patches and I'm also using the REGS patch. Am I doing something wrong?

This is a benign issue that you can safely ignore. As I recall, the Dremora standing in the lake goes away after you clear the Oblivion Gate.

Hi.

I don't understand how to handle step 5 in the guide: Boss Userlist Sorting. Can these rules be brought into LOOT manually or automagically? I haven't installed BOSS and BUM because I thought it might not be a good idea to let BOSS and LOOT mix the same porridge. I admit I haven't read the fine manual for BOSS and BUM. Took a quick glance at LOOT's readme but found nothing.