A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

Ah, I'll just ignore it then. Thanks for the reply [emoji4]

Just to add, I had the Solitude Gate mod installed as well and only the first time it happened, the sky turned red for a second, but it happened in multiple locations on the exteriors of the city, outside its walls. After uninstalling the mod, everything went fine. the random CTD that occured leaving an interior from within the city also went away after as well.

Is it safe to merge these patches from ETaC into one single file?

ETaC - Complete RS Patch.esp
ETaC - Complete ELFX Patch.esp
ETaC - Complete EWDR Patch.esp
ETaC - Complete NoSnow Patch.esp
ETaC - Complete BFT Patch.esp
ETaC - Complete CRF Patch.esp
ETaC - Whiterun Ext CRF Patch.esp
ETaC - Better Dynamic Snow Patch.esp
ETaC Complete - BOYD NPC Fix.esp
ETaC - Whiterun Ext ELFX Patch.esp
ETaC - Complete ORS Patch.esp
ETaC - Complete Atlas Patch.esp

Is it safe to merge these patches from ETaC into one single file?

ETaC - Complete RS Patch.esp

ETaC - Complete ELFX Patch.esp

ETaC - Complete EWDR Patch.esp

ETaC - Complete NoSnow Patch.esp

ETaC - Complete BFT Patch.esp

ETaC - Complete CRF Patch.esp

ETaC - Whiterun Ext CRF Patch.esp

ETaC - Better Dynamic Snow Patch.esp

ETaC Complete - BOYD NPC Fix.esp

ETaC - Whiterun Ext ELFX Patch.esp

ETaC - Complete ORS Patch.esp

ETaC - Complete Atlas Patch.esp

There's a great discussion in this forum, with a very helpful guide from keith, as well as instructions on the ETAC page, "Merging files in TES5Edit" under the "forums" tab.  Merging them is pretty easy but simply doing a quick merge leaves problems with the nav meshes.  Fixing it is easy, but you do need to use Wrye Bash and the CK a little bit.  Follow MissJenna's instructions and you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks for the reply..i know about the instructions on EtaC page..but where is keith's guide?

It's not so much a "guide" as it is a few longer posts in this forum detailing what needs to be done.  You'll have to search here to find it.  A few terms like etac, merging, navmesh... should lead you to it.  His full name, if I'm not mistaken, is keithinhanoi.  It was probably from a couple months ago, if not longer.

A couple of snags when installing after STEP Extended.

1) I re-installed 'Enhanced Lighting for ENB - Lite' with the install option Legendary + Falskaar + Wyrmstooth. I believe this installs the ELE_Legendary_Fs_Wt_Lite.esp plugin. But the 'STEP Extended Patch.esp' and DynDOLOD.esp complain about a missing master: the 'ELE_Legendary_Lite.esp' plugin. I'm wondering if it's safe to enable both plugins, letting the plugin with support for Falskaar and Wyrmstooth override the basic one?

2) The second question is about The Immersive College of Winterhold which comes with patches for Relighting Skyrim. One of the patches is for a version with scripts, the other without. I've installed the "No JIT" version of RS as instructed in the STEP Guide. This produces the RelightingSkyrim_Legendary.esp plugin, but installing either patch through the college mod results in a missing master. That is, both have something other than RelightingSkyrim_Legendary.esp as a master. So should I install without a patch?

1. When installing the 0.95b version of ELE Lite you need to select only the Legendary option on the first page of the fomod, and then on the second page select Combined FS + WT patch. This installs two plugins, one of which is the ELE_Legendary_Lite.esp you are missing. The plugin you installed combines everything into a single plugin, but is unfortunately not compatible with STEP and perhaps DynDOLOD (I haven't checked this part yet). Note that this is different than the installation instructions for SR:LE, but I expect that the set of two plugins should also be OK with SR:LE.

The REGS-SRLE patch will need to be updated, but it is probably just a change in the master(s).

2.Relighting Skyrim has been updated since the last release of CWI. There are two alternate plugins, neither of which have the same name as the one the CWI patch expects. SR:LE expects an older version of RS, which is compatible with the CWI patch. If you are using STEP Extended then leave off the CWI-RS patch until it is updated (or edit it to make it compatible). If you are using SR:LE the patch is still compatible with the RS version used in SR:LE.

For RS, STEP Extended and SR:LE are not currently compatible. I haven't looked at how difficult it would be to make a patch that handles the conflicts. SR:LE uses a special variant of Relighting Skyrim that eliminates some of the RS objects that conflict with ELFX.

Note that the REGS pack itself doesn't have lighting mods, but STEP Extended and SR:LE do.

Hi there,

First of all, as a new member of the STEP community I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone involved, this has taken a huge amount of effort and coordination and I am both impressed and extremely grateful.  Fantastic work!

The reason my first post is here, however, is because I have a strong feeling I might have boobed somewhere along the way in setting up the REGS Pack after a STEP: Core installation, because I am getting some rather peculiar behaviour in towns.  Not game-breaking (yet!) just... peculiar.  It looks as though there are conflicting textures and objects fighting each other.

Let me elaborate.  The only town/city content mods I have beyond STEP:Core is via the REGS pack, and I have installed "JK's Skyrim" and "Extended Towns & Cities" (complete + complete patch) with the suggested options, and the REGS Patch after completing the pack installation, so I thought I'd done it right.

However, here are examples of some problems I've encountered since then:

1)  Every gate in Whiterun is... two gates.  There is an identical gate mesh hidden under the first, and I have to open BOTH to walk through.

2) More fun in Riverwood:

a)  As you enter the town, a shield is hanging in mid-air over the road.

b)  There are two extra (wooden) bridges across the river to a new shop (Camilla's Cook Shop).  The only thing is, on the main Riverwood side the entrances to both covered bridges overlap in such a way as they make each other impossible to use!  Curious...

c) ...and curiouser (and quite funny), the last time I entered Riverwood I discovered two identical riderless carts having a pitched battle outside the inn, both trying to occupy the same space, until they finally parted and lay next to each other in deathly stillness (poor things, must have been exhausting...).

d) Gerder is a hermit!  At least she seems that way as there is now a fence AND a wall around the garden in front of her house - the problem is the combined wall/fence form an unbroken circle so there is no way in/out without jumping over it.  Poor Hod is left wandering around trying to find a way back into his own home at the end of a hard day working at the lumber mill... shame!

Riverwood was working fine before I installed REGS, but now isn't, and as I explained there are problems in Whiterun as well so it isn't isolated to one town.  I can't verify if it is wider spread than that but I'd be suprised if it wasn't.

Any ideas?

I was unable to check for conflicts with the latest STEP version to be honest (no gaming rig available since summer started).
What I'd suggest is installing MFG Console and using the ingame console to see which mods are causing this behavior. (MFG console indicates which mod esp/esm adds the item you've clicked on with the console on)

Thanks for the rapid response - thanks to your advice and a bit more frantic googling I've discovered that it is a conflict between JK's Skyrim and ETaC.

Fortunately, as it turns out I'm not the first to notice and someone is already working on a compatibility patch for both, which would be great as they both add so much to city and town decor.  Check this out:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65855/?

I'll be trying this out myself and reporting back - for now, can I suggest the PACK page be updated to reflect a known incompatibility?

Thanks again,

Sir Kal

Since STEP added ELE Lite an addition is needed in the REGS guide for STEP users to reinstall this mod to include the optional Falstaff/Wormstooth plugin. In addition, patches similar to those in the CELL section of the SR:LE patch (the patches are the same but the records are from ELE_Legendary_Lite vs. ELE_Legendary_Fs_Wt_Lite) need to be added. Should these changes be on a separate STEP user page (similar to the SR:LE page but much smaller) or in the guide itself?

Thanks for the rapid response - thanks to your advice and a bit more frantic googling I've discovered that it is a conflict between JK's Skyrim and ETaC.

Fortunately, as it turns out I'm not the first to notice and someone is already working on a compatibility patch for both, which would be great as they both add so much to city and town decor.  Check this out:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/65855/?

I'll be trying this out myself and reporting back - for now, can I suggest the PACK page be updated to reflect a known incompatibility?

Thanks again,

Sir Kal

Are you using the major cities only version of JK's skyrim as instructed in the guide? This shouldn't happen if you do.

Since STEP added ELE Lite an addition is needed in the REGS guide for STEP users to reinstall this mod to include the optional Falstaff/Wormstooth plugin. In addition, patches similar to those in the CELL section of the SR:LE patch (the patches are the same but the records are from ELE_Legendary_Lite vs. ELE_Legendary_Fs_Wt_Lite) need to be added. Should these changes be on a separate STEP user page (similar to the SR:LE page but much smaller) or in the guide itself?

It should definitely go on the main guide, as it's meant to be a STEP pack in the first place. However, I'm unable to do any updates of this kind. I'm afraid I don't know how I'd be able to provide continued support for the guide as a matter of fact...