STEP Patches

Nearox

Hello,

Do you have a Beta extended patch with Bring out your dead legendary and USLP? I just went through the whole process of installing STEP and some stuff was already asking for the Unoffical Skyrim legendary patch so I used that instead... BOYDL and USLP are the only 2 dependancies the old patch is demanding...

Thanks for the awesome work. Hopefully third time installation of STEP the blasted thing won't crash all the tiime.

• 2 months later...

STEP patches requirements state that users of a combined plugin do not need to install dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp (well, actually, it says it the other way round, but still..). And yet, with LOOT constantly reminding be otherwise, I compared dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp and STEP Combined PluginHF.esp and found them having zero duplicate records. Which, I believe, means that the former was not merged into the latter, right? So, is the wiki wrong?

So the problem is here giving 'a list of patches for mods in STEP that have patches that will need to be downloaded if installing the listed mod and not installing either STEP Combined Plugin'. Which, taken the other way round (that is, when installing either STEP Combined Plugin), seems to suggest that these patches aren't needed.

If you have Enhanced Blood Textures installed and you are using the STEP patch, you no longer need the dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.

If you use EBT but do not want to use the STEP patch then you must use the provided plugin: dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch

If you have Enhanced Blood Textures installed and you are using the STEP patch, you no longer need the dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.

If you use EBT but do not want to use the STEP patch then you must use the provided plugin: dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch

So, that page should instead read 'if installing the listed mod and not installing either Core or Extended Patch' (not plugin), right?

How weird, I find myself elaborating on an implication in the instructions a week after I said we should avoid implications in the instructions.  :O_o:

Clearly these instructions are not worded in such a way as to avoid confusion, and possibly an improvement is needed, how is the tricky part. Let's just examine it is as I read it.

If the modder is going for a STEP Extended install, or a STEP part-Extended install, STEP Core is part of the Extended installation. So looking at the list of mods that are provided by each patch you will notice overlap of Core & Extended. Since EBT is part of the list in the Extended patch the modder has already made the choice to go 'Extended' and therefore the Extended patch is being described. Core (patch) no longer has any bearing on the installation.

I'm more than happy to have those that created the patches to say I'm in error, if I am.

Short version: If you are in the process of choosing any mods that are or aren't to be included from the Extended section, Core patch is no longer a valid choice for you, Extended patch is what you should be focused on.

• 3 weeks later...

While cleaning up my old REGS/STEP Extended merged patch for duplicates with the newest STEP Extended patch I found one weapon entry of interest.

000ECD54 POIMageBorvisDagger

The Extended Patch forwards all edits but the weight and damage edits from WARF, these two are left at vanilla values. Are this done on purpose or an oversight?

Furthermore:
Going on with my patching I found a few more edits that I feel could be included in the extended patch as all mods touched here is in the STEP guide.
This time it's compatibility issues with Books Covers Skyrim. Mostly a few USLEEP edits that I probably should bug the mod author of BCS about, but there is 3 "real" issues.

Two entries that are also edited by BetterQuestObjectives. Patching these two also means you no longer have to worry about load order for these two mods and you can remove that note from the guide. The 3rd is an entry also edited by TheChoiceIsYours.

Of course these things works without a patch, but I'd rather have it patched for best results and also not having to bother about load orders when possible is a nice bonus.

Since I'm to lazy to write down all entries by hand I'll just provide a cropped screenshot.
effected_entries.jpg

WAF doesn't change the weight and damage for that record, just the value.

63cc0ff5c4.png

I haven't updated the patches for The Choice is Yours yet. I just updated everything three days ago, so I'm going to wait another few days before I release another update.

Keep any records from Book Covers Skyrim. It should win unless the STEP Patch covers it which includes BCS patches. Also the patch includes all the Even Better Quest Objective patches, so it should win everything. 

* Edit: rewrote my post from scratch to make it cleaner*

Reinstalled WARF again following STEP to make sure I wasn't outdated. After comparing different version of the files provided by the installer it seems that the all-in-one esp provides the edits I mentioned while the other version does not. So the setup recommended by STEP does indeed not include that. Sorry about that.

Regarding the The Even Better Quest and USLEEP edits I noticed when I checked again that they are very minor and something I should rather bother the BCS author about if anything, sorry about that.

I do however still believe that forwarding the 4th book (3 out of 4 are already forwarded) edited in The Choice Is Yours into the Patch would be benefithical as you'd be able to remove the LOOT Meta Rule Instruction for Better Book Covers if you do.

Edited by Exoclyps