STEP Patches

Nearox

Alright, I decided to remove all the Book of Silence mods for this mod: Bethesda Performance Textures - Armor - Clothes - Weapons. After disabling all the Book of silence mods, I noticed the STEP Core Patch is dependent on the Content Addon esp. Please someone show me how to remove this so I can play without it. I really don't know what the Content-Addon did. I assume it added more HiRes armors which my PC can run to a limit, as long as I'm fighting a small number of NPCs. So if anyone can help a newb, thanks. I only know you use TES5Edit but no idea after that. I'm left in the dark and I'd love to continue playing. PS: I can't remove the STEP Core Patch, because I know it has a lot of fixes for many mods.

Edited by FuzzRocket9

Alright, I decided to remove all the Book of Silence mods for this mod: Bethesda Performance Textures - Armor - Clothes - Weapons. After disabling all the Book of silence mods, I noticed the STEP Core Patch is dependent on the Content Addon esp. Please someone show me how to remove this so I can play without it. I really don't know what the Content-Addon did. I assume it added more HiRes armors which my PC can run to a limit, as long as I'm fighting a small number of NPCs. So if anyone can help a newb, thanks. I only know you use TES5Edit but no idea after that. I'm left in the dark and I'd love to continue playing. PS: I can't remove the STEP Core Patch, because I know it has a lot of fixes for many mods.

You will have to load the Content Addon and STEP Core Patch in TES5Edit. Expand the records of the Content Addon and find any that also exist in the STEP Core Patch and take note of those records. When you are done, expand the STEP Core Patch and find the records that you just took note of and then delete them. After all those records are deleted, right click the STEP Core Patch and select Clean Masters, then do it again and click Sort Masters.

If you think that is to hard, it's not. It will only take about ten minutes.

I'm currently doing as you say. It seems easier now that I'mk on the program. Do the green and red highlights on the file names mean they're dependent on the other file I loaded? If so, I'm just going to delete every red and green file within the Patch and hope it all goes well hehe. I am sort of checking that those files are on the ContentAddon.esp too by looking at the top right where it shows the name of the file it's connected to. I'll do it over again if I make a mistake.

Thanks for your help. I'll reply if all went well. If not, I'll go back and follow your instructions to point and then reply.

Btw, do I have to use the filter for cleaning option, or just go straight to Clean Masters, twice, and then Sort? Thanks again EssArrBee.

Edit, I clicked Clean Masters and nothing happened. I did a second time, same thing. Let me know if this is normal. Also it wasn't much, so I checked every file and done in almost ten minutes.

Edited by FuzzRocket9

Green means that they share the same exact edit information.  red means there is conflicting edit information.  btw - at the bottom of TES5Edit try clicking on the "Information" tab (I think it is).  It will give you some basic information about the program... such as the color scheme.  The only color it doesn't show you is fuchsia, which I think means a critical conflict.

From my understanding, typically you'll only be using "Apply Filter for Cleaning" when you are trying to find and remove dirty edits (UDPs or ITMs).  Using the "Apply Filter" option and then just going with the default options on that are generally pretty helpful though any time you are using TES5Edit to review conflicts or create your own patches.  It allows you to see the worst conflict by color code from the highest level, then you can follow the trail down through the subcategories by color code.

When you clean masters it's pretty much immediate and you get no good indication that it did it as far as I know (IOW - that's normal).

I'm currently doing as you say. It seems easier now that I'mk on the program. Do the green and red highlights on the file names mean they're dependent on the other file I loaded? If so, I'm just going to delete every red and green file within the Patch and hope it all goes well hehe. I am sort of checking that those files are on the ContentAddon.esp too by looking at the top right where it shows the name of the file it's connected to. I'll do it over again if I make a mistake.

Thanks for your help. I'll reply if all went well. If not, I'll go back and follow your instructions to point and then reply.

Btw, do I have to use the filter for cleaning option, or just go straight to Clean Masters, twice, and then Sort? Thanks again EssArrBee.

Edit, I clicked Clean Masters and nothing happened. I did a second time, same thing. Let me know if this is normal. Also it wasn't much, so I checked every file and done in almost ten minutes.

You can expand any plugin and the first record type is header. The masters for the plugin are listed there. If you delete all the records that are shared by both plugins then you can Clean Masters and the header should be different. You should always sort the masters after cleaning them anyways because they can be out of order after removing a master.

Sinc eyou already went through the process, just open the STEP Patch and go to the headers and see if the Content Addon is there. If TES5Edit won't load then it will tell you that you are missing a master which means you probably need add that master back and try again.

Yes, SRB walked me through my first baby steps using TES5Edit for more than having the program find and remove dirty edits (UDPs and ITMs), through some recommendation in his Fallout New Vegas modding guide - Fear and Loathing in New Vegas.  I've learned a lot since then by deciding to examine my entire custom modded STEP Extended plugin list and creating my own custom patch to correct remaining issues.  If you have the time and the patience, and you need a crapload of that when reviewing Cell and Worldspace sections of mods...  I mean a lot, especially if you have a custom lighting mod going on in your setup... then that's an option.  You'll learn TON and hopefully improve your mod configuration, especially if you added in extra stuff on top of STEP.

Yes, SRB walked me through my first baby steps using TES5Edit for more than having the program find and remove dirty edits (UDPs and ITMs), through some recommendation in his Fallout New Vegas modding guide - Fear and Loathing in New Vegas.  I've learned a lot since then by deciding to examine my entire custom modded STEP Extended plugin list and creating my own custom patch to correct remaining issues.  If you have the time and the patience, and you need a crapload of that when reviewing Cell and Worldspace sections of mods...  I mean a lot, especially if you have a custom lighting mod going on in your setup... then that's an option.  You'll learn TON and hopefully improve your mod configuration, especially if you added in extra stuff on top of STEP.

The beta version of xEdit now has the Apply Filter for Conflict Loser which is immensely helpful for the Cell and Worldspace sections. 

Thanks for the tip. So when I check for conflicts and so on, when I have both mods in question, do I just delete one or the other file within the esp? Whichever I feel is less beneficial or play duck duck goose. Also, do I have to load every single plugin from the list and slowly check each plugin for colored conflicts?

Edited by FuzzRocket9

Thanks for the tip. So when I check for conflicts and so on, when I have both mods in question, do I just delete one or the other file within the esp? Whichever I feel is less beneficial or play duck duck goose. Also, do I have to load every single plugin from the list and slowly check each plugin for colored conflicts?

Don't delete records from mods, just leave them alone. The STEP Patch is different because it is a patch and isn't really a mod. You shouldn't delete stuff from other plugins because you might be deleting something matters. Usually whatever loads last is best to let win.

Right click -> Select None. Then just choose the STEP Patch and it should load all the plugins that conflict in STEP since those plugins were the master of that plugin. If you add other plugins then maybe you need to load them all and then filter for conflict loser. It will remove a ton of records so it doesn't take so long.

Don't delete records from mods, just leave them alone. The STEP Patch is different because it is a patch and isn't really a mod. You shouldn't delete stuff from other plugins because you might be deleting something matters. Usually whatever loads last is best to let win.

Right click -> Select None. Then just choose the STEP Patch and it should load all the plugins that conflict in STEP since those plugins were the master of that plugin. If you add other plugins then maybe you need to load them all and then filter for conflict loser. It will remove a ton of records so it doesn't take so long.

Hi,

I have a question. For example in Conflict Patch for one or more records there are multiple plugins linked (skyrim.esm, unoficial...esm, something1.esp, something2.esp). Futher I don't want to use mod with something2.esp so what I should do ? Just delete this records where something2.esp exist ? What about the rest of the plugins in this example something1.esp ? They are removed too. Is that the way its supposed to work ?

Edited by drkalbar

Yes.  Say that you make a custom patch plugin that resolves issues between different plugins in your mod list.  Afterwards, you decide that you no longer want to use one of the plugins that your custom patch plugin resolves a conflict for (and/or is included as a master within your custom patch plugin).  What you need to do is go into your custom patch plugin and remove all the records within the custom patch plugin that contain data that was grabbed from the plugin you are trying to remove.  After you do that you can clean and sort master in the custom patch plugin and it will remove the plugin that you no longer patch from your custom patch plugin's masters list.  Sometimes if I know I removed all references, I just go into the header and delete the master record manually... but you have to be careful doing it that way, because if you didn't actually remove all of the references to data from the plugin you delete that way you can screw things up pretty bad.  With the clean and sort masters functions, TES5Edit will automatically make certain there are no references before removing the plugin you no longer want as a master.

At least I'm pretty certain what I have said here is accurate information.  Someone tell me if I'm wrong.