DoubleYou

No other changes are made. In fact, I looked, and it never changes the iShadowMaskQuarter value.

It might not change it in the INI if for some reason it cannot. Or it decides not to. I've observed varying behavior. The proof is in the console however. Place iShadowMaskQuarter into your INI and load up the game. Then open the console and type

getini "ishadowmaskquarter:display"

It will return 4, even if it is set to 3 in the INI. You simply cannot change it.

• 1 month later...

Version 2.5 released.

-Improved spINI presets to give a better overall graphical experience. This includes fixes that almost entirely remove Z-fighting on most systems, decrease certain kinds of object pop-in, and other small tweaks. Highly recommended to apply new presets.
-Rewrote preset application process, which should fix some rare minor issues the previous preset mechanism had with some GUI settings.
-Removed Interior Shadow Draw Distance tweak, since it can cause lights to flicker on/off when set to bad values.
-Added code to automatically restrict interior shadow draw distance to be 3000 or less, since high values cause lighting issues.
-Added code to search for known harmful settings and correct them. The list of known harmful settings can be found at the bottom of the Skyrim Configuration Settings Guide.
-Bugfix: Medium Preset would always use the spINI preset because of a mispelled variable.
-Bugfix: If the user changed to Vanilla Presets, and then back to spINI Presets, the vanilla presets would be applied instead of the spINI ones.
-Bugfix: In some cases spINI would fail to detect the user's graphics card.
-Fixed minor GUI scaling issues.
-Binaries are now 64bit to prevent users from running it through Mod Organizer, since doing so causes issues.
-Released Source Code.
-Redid photos.

There are some serious issues with the new version 2.5 (was using 2.4.1).

-The presets aren't working correctly nor applying correct values

-The defaults are all messed up - For example, 'Windowed mode' is checked by default and 'Enable File Selection' is unchecked (by default now)

-I had to manually tweak nearly every setting since the presets AND default settings were incorrect

-After I clicked to save and exit, the program never made any changes to the INI files

-Novice users will really screw up their INI files with the defaults and presets being broken

Version 2.4.1 question

Why is the program deleting the [NavMesh] section from SkyrimPrefs.ini?  Skyrim populates this data and adds it here.

All versions question

The program isn't consistent in it's behavior regarding default INI values.  It deletes some default settings yet adds some itself, examples:

SkyrimPrefs.ini

[General]
fBrightLightColorB=1.0000
fBrightLightColorG=1.0000
fBrightLightColorR=1.0000

Values deleted by spINI.

Skyrim.ini

[Weather]
bPrecipitation=1

Values added by spINI.  My weather and rain were working great before.  Why add defaults to the INIs?

There are a lot more instances of this occurring using the program (default settings being added).

From a fellow developers standpoint the program should not add values that are the defaults used by the game.

UPDATE
-Version 2.5 does not detect the correct Skyrim Game Path or INI file location like 2.4.1 does.  It is most likely the heart of the problem.  I re-ran version 2.4.1 and version 2.5 and verified the issue.

Edited by crushboss

Hi DoubleYou just updated to version 2.5 and noticed spINI Ultra preset is not adding a [Combat] section to the Skyrim.ini this may or may not be correct so I throught I would check.

If the combat section doesn't exist, clicking the Ultra preset will not add it. This is intended. When creating new INIs, always click Default to load the default values first, as per my documentation. The presets merely update graphics quality presets now, nothing pertaining to functionality like before. This is intended. The other options should be manually chosen if desired different from Default + Preset.

There are some serious issues with the new version 2.5 (was using 2.4.1).

-The presets aren't working correctly nor applying correct values

-The defaults are all messed up - For example, 'Windowed mode' is checked by default and 'Enable File Selection' is unchecked (by default now)

-I had to manually tweak nearly every setting since the presets AND default settings were incorrect

-After I clicked to save and exit, the program never made any changes to the INI files

-Novice users will really screw up their INI files with the defaults and presets being broken

Version 2.4.1 question

Why is the program deleting the [NavMesh] section from SkyrimPrefs.ini?  Skyrim populates this data and adds it here.

All versions question

The program isn't consistent in it's behavior regarding default INI values.  It deletes some default settings yet adds some itself, examples:

SkyrimPrefs.ini

[General]
fBrightLightColorB=1.0000
fBrightLightColorG=1.0000
fBrightLightColorR=1.0000

Values deleted by spINI.

Skyrim.ini

[Weather]
bPrecipitation=1

Values added by spINI.  My weather and rain were working great before.  Why add defaults to the INIs?

There are a lot more instances of this occurring using the program (default settings being added).

From a fellow developers standpoint the program should not add values that are the defaults used by the game.

UPDATE
-Version 2.5 does not detect the correct Skyrim Game Path or INI file location like 2.4.1 does.  It is most likely the heart of the problem.  I re-ran version 2.4.1 and version 2.5 and verified the issue.

It sounds like you probably deleted your INI files or something prior to running spINI. Do realize that the Setup tab allows you to browse and select the correct locations for your INIs. If it doesn't correctly detect the game path, that is more serious. It should prompt you for the game path if not found at startup. I'll investigate.

As a workaround, you can simply copy the spINI.ini configuration file from version 2.4.1 to your 2.5 copy and it will use the paths you have there. Or you can manually edit the INI. It's syntax is quite simple:

[General]
sGameName=Skyrim
bCreationKit=0

[Directories]
sGameSettingsPath=D:\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\
sGamePath=C:\Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim\

As to adding defaults, it simply is how the program works. If I were to go and remove all default values from the INIs, they would be rather empty looking. Indeed, default INIs are blank INIs, although "true experience defaults" fix some bugs in the actual defaults, which is what the Default INI generation is for: to fix the bugs and to give a basis from which to tweak from.

Those removed settings are invalid settings that were removed from the engine, or were misprints from the start.

I didn't delete the INI files.  Version 2.5 does not detect the game path like version 2.4.1 does.  Once you are in the program there is no way to change the Game Path.  It is fixed and there isn't a 'Browse' option like there is for the INI location.

Strange, since the 2.4.1 GetFolder() function is identical to 2.5, so I don't understand how that could have changed. I probably will rewrite it so you can browse to the correct location. spINI should actually exit if the location isn't found as it is, unless it finds a bogus location.

Version 2.5.1

• Added Browse function for setting the Game Path under Setup
  • Improved Game Path detection process slightly
  • Improved INI Path selection process slightly
  • Included Readme which was left out of last release

I believe that function breaks once you change the exe to 64-bit.  I'm happy to test it if you change it back to 32-bit.  I don't use MO or NMM.  I am using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

That should not have an effect, as I check for both normal and Wow6432Node registry keys. If missing, a popup asking the user to select SkyrimLauncher.exe will pop up. Previously, you could select any executable and the dialogue would accept it, so rogue values would work. I have changed this to only accept the SkyrimLauncher.exe.

I am happy to report that version 2.5.1 is working great!  It is now detecting the Game Path and INI location correctly!  This also fixes the issues I mentioned with defaults and presets.

One popular thing you may want to add is disabling auto saving.

SkyrimPrefs.ini

[MAIN]
bSaveOnPause=0
bSaveOnRest=0
bSaveOnTravel=0
bSaveOnWait=0

[saveGame]
bDisableAutoSave=1
fAutosaveEveryXMins=0.0000