DoubleYou

I don't see how that is possible.  Skyrim doesn't reference old save games.  The save is just your return point once you exit the game.  I've had auto save disabled for two years now and my game runs great!  I've never had ANY of the issues described with auto saving disabled.

No one should be using dyndolod anyway as it causes too many issues and results in save game bloat.  It fills up your save game with LOD references which, on long playthoughs, will eventually render your save game unloadable.

Edited by crushboss
  • +1 1

One enhancement you could add to the program is handling read-only INI files.

Too many times I've accidentally launched skse_loader.exe before I loaded Steam and the Skyrim Launcher resets settings in the INI files.  For this reason many gurus flag their Skyim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini as read-only so Skyrim doesn't screw them up as mentioned above.

Currently, the program says it saves the files but it actually doesn't if they are flagged as read-only.  I manually removed the read-only flags so the program would work.  A nice feature would be to check if the files are read-only and either force the writes or remove the read-only flags and then re-apply them once the user clicks on 'Save and Exit'.

Thank you for the awesome program!

• +1 1

No one should be using dyndolod anyway as it causes too many issues and results in save game bloat.  It fills up your save game with LOD references which, on long playthoughs, will eventually render your save game unloadable.

Curious. Why do you say this?

I am happy to report that version 2.5.1 is working great!  It is now detecting the Game Path and INI location correctly!  This also fixes the issues I mentioned with defaults and presets.

One popular thing you may want to add is disabling auto saving.

SkyrimPrefs.ini

[MAIN]
bSaveOnPause=0
bSaveOnRest=0
bSaveOnTravel=0
bSaveOnWait=0

[saveGame]
bDisableAutoSave=1
fAutosaveEveryXMins=0.0000

You can set Autosave in Menu to 60 mins in Settings (or change your .ini to: fAutosaveEveryXMins=60.000). Set the various "Save On" options to no & remember to manually save often, thats worked well for me.

DynDOLOD adds the objects - LOD models/full models - into the game as REFS so they can be switched on and off.  They are controlled by 3500+ script instances in your save game.  Over time, these REFS build up and eventually you'll hit Skyrim's REF limit and the save game will no longer load.  This is a known issue of this type of mod.  I'm not making this stuff up, the author is aware of it.  The mod adds a moderate to heavy load on the game and script engine.

DynDOLOD adds the objects - LOD models/full models - into the game as REFS so they can be switched on and off.  They are controlled by 3500+ script instances in your save game.  Over time, these REFS build up and eventually you'll hit Skyrim's REF limit and the save game will no longer load.  This is a known issue of this type of mod.  I'm not making this stuff up, the author is aware of it.  The mod adds a moderate to heavy load on the game and script engine.

If by REF limit your are referring to the latest issue of strings count then you must know that latest version of DynDOLOD rectifies this to a great degree.

It is one of the very few mods, if not the only one, that quickly addressed this issue with spectacular results.

It is Sheson after all...I mean let's face it...we can still "breath" Skyrim because of him and I am sure if there is one guy out there that supports stability this is Sheson.

The fact that DynDOLOD adds moderate to heavy load to the game...well..there are at least 3 presets to choose from and one can make his own rules when running it.

• +1 1

DynDOLOD adds the objects - LOD models/full models - into the game as REFS so they can be switched on and off. They are controlled by 3500+ script instances in your save game. Over time, these REFS build up and eventually you'll hit Skyrim's REF limit and the save game will no longer load. This is a known issue of this type of mod. I'm not making this stuff up, the author is aware of it. The mod adds a moderate to heavy load on the game and script engine.

This is outdated information. The new DynDOLD 1.49 uses less than 100 strings. See more info in SRLE Extended string counts thread.

It sounds like DynDOLD may be safe to use now with version 1.49.  It wasn't in past versions.

I still think disabling auto saves is a problem specific to DynDOLD as I've never heard any issues with it except for players using the DynDOLD mod.  I've run with auto saving disabled for two years now with no side effects and many of my friends are in the same boat.

I am now recommending this tool on several mod pages including Sands of Time and Skyrim Guides and Tutorials.

"I found out some bad news for users of Windows 8 and 10.  Microsoft unintentionally limited graphic memory usage to 4 GB for DirectX 9 applications.  Skyrim is a DirectX 9 application.  The limit doesn't appear to exist on Windows 7.  So much for my 6 GBs of VRAM on my new videocard!  Microsoft stabs me in the back yet again!

Boris developed a tool that tells you how much video memory is supported on your system and the value that you should use for VideoMemorySizeMb= in enblocal.ini.  Run the DirectX 9 executable.

So even though I have 6 GBs of VRAM I have to set VideoMemorySizeMb=4064.

You shouldn't set VideoMemorySizeMb to a value above your VRAM unless you are on a low end system with little to no VRAM and that is the only way you can run the game.  I've used the formula VRAM - 128 which has worked very well.  The problem with using system memory for graphics is that once Skyrim starts using system memory there are long delays for texture rendering.  This usually results in an FPS drop of 50%, ouch!

If you are using an ENB you need to check the last setting in Injector.ini (in your Skyrim folder) and make sure it is set to:

weird_steam_hack = 1

This should be set regardless if you are using Steam Overlay or not.  I recommend that Steam Overlay be disabled in Steam (settings).

I am now recommending the following Utility to help you optimize your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini:  spINI

Always keep backups of the following files:

Skryim.ini
SkyrimPrefs.ini
SkyrimEditor.ini
SkyrimEditorPrefs.ini
plugins.txt
loadorder.txt

In fact, once I have my files configured perfectly I flag them as read-only to prevent the Skyrim Launcher from messing them up.  Don't do this with the Editor INI files though."
Edited by crushboss

• 2 weeks later...

I've uploaded my current version as a Miscellaneous file. I am calling it alpha, since I'm sure I've missed some bugs. Supports Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, and Fallout 4.

3.0alpha

-Bugfix: Corrected incorrect fFlickeringLightDistance default value.
-Bugfix: If the INI files were set to read-only, they couldn't be modified. Read-only files are automatically made writeable during the backup process.
-Bugfix: Duplicate settings are now automatically removed.
-Changed "Intro Video" to "Intro Logos"
-Removed Terrain Fade-In since it really is not a setting one would want to enable in any known circumstances.
-Increased slider length for Actor, Item, and Object fade distances from 15 to 30.
-Increased slider length for Grass Fade distance from 15000 to 18000
-Decreased slider length for Level 16 distant object detail from 500000 to 250000
-The Archive Invalidation settings for all games except Fallout 4 shall now be automatically preserved.
-Added code for support of Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, and Fallout 4.
-Improved Video Card detection and removed the hacky method of finding it, as it has too many ways that it can throw nasty errors.
-Improved Backup code and added support for backing up "Custom" INI files used by Fallout 3, Fallout 4, and Skyrim.
-Added support for restoring backed up "Custom" INI files used by Fallout 3, Fallout 4, and Skyrim.
-Some general code cleanup and optimization.
-The app now tells how long it took to complete startup.

Known issues:

-Defaults to Skyrim at startup. Need to add a first-time choice.

-Lock sensitivity slider is not useful for Oblivion, Fallout 3, or Fallout New Vegas as it give too high values.