Skyrim Flora Overhaul (by vurt)

JudgmentJay

Im sry but I have to ask here also, can this three files (Skyrim Flora Overhaul Basic Edition v187/Recolored Pines and LODs for Basic v181b/Dragonborn addon v02) be merged safely? In my head that seem like a good option ;)

I'm really missing that MO options merge/replace/rename is not on the wiki guide for most mods sadly :(

I miss this info so much that I can help out to add info about this to all mods in STEP guide if someone can help me find out what option is recommended for each mod :D

I guess there is more noobs like me out there that have no clue about what to do.

Edited by xxx78
  • +1 1

Yes, merge away!

It's better for "noobs" to learn the differences in the options and learn when to use which option rather than us spelling it out. All modders should be familiar with the tools involved in modding, in this instance MO.

Merge = overwrite conflicting files. Non-conflicted files will remain in place and untouched.

Replace = delete the mod and all its files and "replace" the mod with the new installation. Old mod is deleted entirely and new more replaces it.

Rename = rename the mod so both installations are kept.

Merged is used for instances like this when installing addons or updates that will require the main mod to remain intact. The addon or update will simply overwrite some of the files from the main mod but not completely replace it. Replace is used when the entire mod is being replaced, such as, when updating the main file of a mod which would completely overwrite the old version. Rename is used to simply rename the mod to a different name in order to not merge or replace the file. This can be desirable in certain situations or for personal preference...

Say for example you have a profile in MO that you don't want to have Dawnguard active during the play-through. If a mod in your profile as a "Dawnguard addon", instead of merging it you'd want to rename it from "ModXYZ" to "ModXYZ - Dawnguard Addon". This would allow to you to keep the Dawnguard addon active in all your profiles and deactivate it for just the single profile that excludes the Dawnguard DLC in the play-through.

Another example to use Rename is if you have different mods installed for different play-throughs that require different patches for each profile. Consistent Older People is a good example. In one profile you main have Bring Out Your Dead active and in another profile you may not. This would require two different installations of Consistent Older People or the game would crash at startup due to missing masters. Therefore, you could name it on installation "Consistent Older People" for the profile without Bring Out Your Dead active and for the other installation "Consistent Older People - BOYD" for the profile with Bring Out Your Dead active.

As you can see, we can't really explain this on every mod page. The Guide would double in length! That is why we encourage users to take the time to learn the tools they're using.

Point taken. I know how merge/replace/rename work but my understanding of consequences is not good enough to make good decision regarding this when it come to individual mods. I guess it just come down to trail and error and hopefully learn something from that, but my knowledge and understanding will never be good since I'm not a programmer or used to working with files.

Anyway I did not mean a detailed explanation, just a simple "this files can safely be merged" or " dont merge this files". And from a user point of view and I guess also from a support point info like this would make this easier and cause less need for support, but that's just my thoughts about it.

Good examples for use of different files for different profiles since the mods directory stay the same between profiles.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes and no...

Does add trees that are taller?

Yes

Does it make trees taller?

Kind of.

Does it change the meshes to some that should be taller?

Yes.

Rather than raising the scale of the trees. Sfo 2.0 changes the meshes.

Edited by hishutup

Yes and no...Does add trees that are taller?YesDoes it make trees taller?Kind of.Does it change the meshes to some that should be taller?Yes.Rather than raising the scale of the trees. Sfo 2.0 changes the meshes.

Ok. Just wondering. The reason why I haven't updated is because Skyrim Bigger Trees makes the forests MASSIVE.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone had a chance to take a look at the newest version of this mod (2.0F)?

Yes, I've had it installed for a few months and used almost all the alphas. Never had a problem. The powerful PC suggestion is there for a reason though. If you could run the game on ultra and with lots of mods before, it's highly unlikely you'd suddenly have problems upgrading from SFO 1.x though.

Hehe, I understand, maybe I should just try it out.

The thing for me is that I've used the STEP 2.2.9 wiki to setup my game.

With this mod came some recommendations but all of which were based on older versions.

And that's why I'm looking for information about the current version.

Use v1.87 Basic Edition. Also install the Dragonborn addon and the Recolored Pines and LODs for v181b optional file.

But I think its best for me to wait for STEP v. 2.2.9.1 to see if the latest version of this mod will be recommended or not.

The only difference between the versions is that the newer ones include new meshes for tress, and new placement for tress and flora. The reason it is not in STEP is because of this. Most likely the newest version wont be included either since it again goes beyond the scope of what STEP is. 

That is not saying it is a bad mod. If you got the performance for it go ahead and try it out and see if your list can handle it or not. And ofc. if you like the visual changes. 

• 3 months later...

I can't find the Recolored Pines and LODs file. Is it genuinely no longer there, or am I just missing something obvious? And if it is no longer there, should I use one of the other optional files instead, or exclusively use the main ones?