Skyrim Flora Overhaul (by vurt)

JudgmentJay

• 2 months later...

This does not appear in the file list:

textures\dlc02\landscape\volcanic_ash_01.dds
textures\dlc02\landscape\volcanic_ash_04.dds
textures\dlc02\landscape\volcanic_ash_04_n.dds

according to the wiki I should hide those files, however they are not inside the flora overhaul package.

• 8 months later...

I wanted to give SFO 2.5b a try to see how well it works, but it seems I've already ran into an issue right off the bat. The trees look... odd, the trunk looks greenish with one texture, but then it looks like it cuts to a different texture below and above it. I've also noticed the branches look very off and 'flat' as well? I can only guess it is because I did not disable any of the .dds files that it states to hide/delete in 1.87.

But the catch is, in 2.5b, not all the files that are supposed to be hidden exist, and those that do still exist, I am afraid to touch.

Dirtcliffs folder still exists (dirtcliffsroots01.dds shows being modified back in 2013 and the _n counterpart shows to of been modified in 2012, so I can assume those are safe to hide)

Volcanic_ash_01 and both 04's no longer exist in 2.5b

Fieldgrass02.dds and it's _n counterpart still exists (both modified 2013), so those may be safe to hide as well.

Now this is where it gets tricky

treepineforestbranchcompsnow.dds no longer exists, but there is treepineforestbranchcompsnowl.dds and treepineforestbranchcompsnowl_n.dds.. which I can only assume the former is safe to hide, but I am uncertain about the latter.

TamrielTreeLod.dds still exists, but is that needed for the 2.5b Billboard, or can that be safely hidden as well?

Edited by Tykune

You're not the only one who has run into that issue while subbing SFO 2.x for 1.87 in a STEP installation.  The issue is actually related to Trees HD.  The advice that seemed to work was moving Trees HD before SFO per hishutup in this thread:  https://forum.step-project.com/topic/6182-help-please-with-weird-tree-textures/

I believe that this patch (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/63930/?) for Trees HD was recommended in Darth_mathias' SRLE Extended, which is based on SFO 2.x.  Try that patch if you want to keep Trees HD after SFO rather than before and see if it works.

Edited by federation25

You're not the only one who has run into that issue while subbing SFO 2.x for 1.87 in a STEP installation.  The issue is actually related to Trees HD.  The advice that seemed to work was moving Trees HD before SFO per hishutup in this thread:  https://forum.step-project.com/topic/6182-help-please-with-weird-tree-textures/

I believe that this patch (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/63930/?) for Trees HD was recommended in Darth_mathias' SRLE Extended, which is based on SFO 2.x.  Try that patch if you want to keep Trees HD after SFO rather than before and see if it works.

Would I still need to hide files?

Would I still need to hide files?

The volcanic ash, dirtcliffs, and fieldgrass textures are being hid because they are ground textures (not much to do with flora) which are being provided by an earlier mod. The others are probably leftovers from after we incorporated a few mods in the STEP Compilation. I'm guessing here because those textures are only overwritten by the Compilation. Those last three remaining textures you can likely ignore, but I would hide the first six on the list.

By load order, do you mean simply drag Skyrim Flora Overhaul and the SFO Billboards down right below Tree HD in the left panel of MO?

Edited by Tykune

Alright, got everything in working order after a bit of tweaking and shifting things around, but now I have a new issue regarding (I am certain) SFO.

The trees and foliage appear to be popping in closer for SFO. At a distance I would see the typical tree, but when I get close enough, the SFO version would just pop right in over it.. I am not sure what us causing this, but it is close enough to be noticed. Is there any way to fix this?

Where are you placing your SFO billboards? If they are getting overwritten by another set, it's possible the pop-in is via DynDOLOD because it used a different set of billboards to create the LODs. Not positive, but I think the Step Compilation may have a set of vanilla 'boards in there somewhere?

SFO Billboards (2.5b) are right after Skyrim Flora Overhaul 2.5b. Clicking on SFO Billboards shows that only one mod is overwriting it... and that is STEP Compilation Installer - High Res - 2292m.

Would you like me to list the conflicts that the STEP Compilation is causing?

Edited by Tykune

SFO Billboards (2.5b) are right after Skyrim Flora Overhaul 2.5b. Clicking on SFO Billboards shows that only one mod is overwriting it... and that is STEP Compilation Installer - High Res - 2292m.

Would you like me to list the conflicts that the STEP Compilation is causing?

No need - move the SFO billboards to load as far down on the mod list as possible (at the least, it needs to be after the Step Compilation), then re-run DynDOLOD. What's happening is that the Compilation is overwriting the billboard files with vanilla variants, so you get vanilla LOD right up until you are close, which is why the SFO appears to 'pop' in. Make sure you run the full process - texgen and LOD portions both - IAW the guide instructions.

Edited by Shadriss