A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

Hi all,

I've been trying to set up a modlist incorporating STEP Extended; REGS; Requiem and a few mods from the SR:LE list (Immersive armors, weapons & creatures being the big draws) and almost all mods from immersive survival pack (exceptions being the hunstman bow and realistic needs). My first attempt failed miserably :p. This is attempt 2; so I'm being more cautious and asking before leaping. So I have a few questions: 

I know that installation order is important when it comes to texture/mesh mods (and other mods without plugins). I've ordered my existing STEP Extended list exactly as it appears on the wiki i.e. sorted by priority and dragged all the mods into an ordered list. And I've noticed a pattern there that graphic mods are before gameplay mods, sound is somewhere in between etc. 

1st: REGS says to install all its mods after STEP; my first question is that will that lead to an epic cluster****? Or should I re-order the REGS mods like I have done with the STEP Extended list?

2nd Question: Should I re-build DynDoLOD?

3rd: MO keeps complaining about the difference in the install order (set by me) and the load order (set by LOOT), what should I do?

Here's my current STEP Extended load order:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All In One - Main.esm
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp
Cutting Room Floor.esp
ViewableFactionRanksBothDLC.esp
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
RaceMenu.esp
Appropriately Attired Jarls Redux.esp
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp
Weapons & Armor_TrueOrcish&DaedricWeapons.esp
Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp
SkyUI.esp
TradeBarter.esp
Moss Rocks.esp
Moss Rocks_DB.esp
Beards.esp
Brows.esp
ORM-Arvak.esp
Weapons & Armor_TrueWeaponsLvlLists.esp
ExplosiveBoltsVisualized.esp
Elemental Staves.esp
GQJ_DG_vampireamuletfix.esp
DawnguardRuneWeaponsFXSReplacer.esp
DragonShoutVoice.esp
ADS.esp
SkyrimCoinReplacerRedux.esp
SkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB.esp
Bring Out Your Dead.esp
SPTConsistentOlderPeople.esp
Oblivion Gates v3 without Markers - Skyrim + Dawnguard DLC.esp
BirdsHFclean.esp
TheChoiceIsYours.esp
Book Covers Skyrim.esp
Dead Body Collision.esp
Point The Way.esp
RealisticWaterTwo.esp
WetandCold.esp
AOS.esp
Invisibility Eyes Fix.esp
aMidianBorn_ContentAddon.esp
IHSS.esp
Auto Unequip Ammo.esp
Better Stealth AI for Followers.esp
ClamsDropPearls.esp
Nausicaa's Tweaker.esp
NonEssentialChildren.esp
Traps Make Noise.esp
WM Trap Fixes.esp
When Vampires Attack.esp
Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp
SFO - Dragonborn.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
SkyrimImprovedPuddles-DG-HF-DB.esp
HearthfireChimneys.esp
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp
PilgrimsDelight.esp
imp_helm_legend.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
Gildergreen Regrown.esp
Complete Crafting_TrueWeaponsLvlLists.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
iHUD.esp
Chesko_LoreBasedLoadingScreens.esp
Footprints.esp
Footprints - Ash.esp
83Willows_101BUGS_V4_HighRes.esp
Animated Weapon Enchants.esp
Paralyze.esp
BFSEffects.esp
DeadlySpellImpacts.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
Improved Combat Sounds v2.2.esp
dD-Dragonborn-Dawnguard-EBT Patch.esp
BlockSparkles.esp
ShootingStars.esp
TheChoiceIsYours_Dawnguard.esp
Chesko_Step418_SN.esp
Radiant and Unique Potions Poisons and Booze.esp
randomthunder.esp
Convenient Horses.esp
Dual Wield Parrying_SKSE.esp
Lock Overhaul.esp
SMDropLitTorch.esp
TheChoiceIsYours_Dragonborn.esp
mintylightningmod.esp
Soul Gems Differ.esp
Thieves Guild Requirements.esp
WetandCold - Ashes.esp
RelightingSkyrim_Legendary.esp
ELE_Legendary_Lite.esp
STEP Extended Patch.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp
Dual Sheath Redux.esp
Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp
DynDOLOD.esp

My ini files:

You should give this mod another try: Legendary Cities - Tes Arena - Skyrim Frontier Fortress

I know it was discussed before, but that discussion must have been based on a much older version. Because I found comments which say that it only adds dead cities.

But that's definitely not the case in the current version (2.12). The cities are actually more lively than many vanilla towns. They have interiors, are fully navmeshed and populated. There are smiths, merchants, guards, playing children etc. Some NPCs even have unique dialogue (no voice acting though). Each city is also unique in it's design.

I think it's really worth checking it out. It could use some polishing, since there are some grammar and capitalization mistakes, but I'm not too bothered by that.

3rd: MO keeps complaining about the difference in the install order (set by me) and the load order (set by LOOT), what should I do?

Install order is the order of your mods in the left pane.  I have been using MO's functionality to sort those (after personally sorting my texture mods), and it seems to work fine.  It doesn't seem to reorder any of my installs that are solely textures or meshes.

Just for the sake of expediency since I keep getting distracted and could do this on my own but it'd just take forever as I keep finding myself getting sidetracked by other people and things (AC units breaking, electrical problems, storms, headaches) while I'm making my merge patches (or just about anything else). Could someone tell me which plugins are safe to merge? I know a lot of the plugins are fine to merge but I can't seem to find my list (Text file) I made for the merge patches I used in my previous installs (and nuked my previous installs for a fresh setup) I'm using SR:LE + REGS right now (will be adding more on top and then manually patching) and have combined all of the vividian and all of the weather related plugins into one (though I plan on using WAO at somepoint so this will probably change) I merged all the ETaC plugins but the ELFX patch the ORS patch, the main ETaC - Complete plugin and the resources esm. Anything else you guys can think of.

Install order is the order of your mods in the left pane.  I have been using MO's functionality to sort those (after personally sorting my texture mods), and it seems to work fine.  It doesn't seem to reorder any of my installs that are solely textures or meshes.

Yes ty I know that. What I meant is that even when I just install STEP Extended MO complains about the install order; though I set it up exactly like it is on the STEP page; so should I:

1) Install all my mods; sort load order by LOOT and then sort install order using MO or

2) Install by my own order (as per STEP) and then just sort the load order using LOOT?

Edited by junaid

Are you referring to MO saying there's a possible Mod Order problem and you should move mods to fix it?

If so there's been discussion on that feature before. STEP usually recommends to ignore it, as they've tested their suggested order to ensure all works.

MO's creator Tannin has a dissenting view.

What you should do is follow the STEP guide, and then use LOOT. It's then on you as to whether you do what MO suggests to do or not. If STEP's order works for you, then fine, ignore MO. If you do what MO suggests and has it fix things, that should work as well. 

The take home point is there's two ways to go.

1) Follow STEP and don't worry about MO's suggestions.

2) Follow STEP and then do what MO suggests.

I've tried both and haven't seen any glaring issues either way so it's a judgement call.

Just for the sake of expediency since I keep getting distracted and could do this on my own but it'd just take forever as I keep finding myself getting sidetracked by other people and things (AC units breaking, electrical problems, storms, headaches) while I'm making my merge patches (or just about anything else). Could someone tell me which plugins are safe to merge? I know a lot of the plugins are fine to merge but I can't seem to find my list (Text file) I made for the merge patches I used in my previous installs (and nuked my previous installs for a fresh setup) I'm using SR:LE + REGS right now (will be adding more on top and then manually patching) and have combined all of the vividian and all of the weather related plugins into one (though I plan on using WAO at somepoint so this will probably change) I merged all the ETaC plugins but the ELFX patch the ORS patch, the main ETaC - Complete plugin and the resources esm. Anything else you guys can think of.

some tips:

- don't merge plugins that come with skse plugin (e.g. FISS, Block Steal Redux), because it will break them

- be careful when merging plugins that are master files for other mods, since FormID's may get changed

- keep in mind that the record "Navigation Mesh Info Map (NAVI)" can't be merged. The merge script will just copy it from the last loaded plugin

- therefore only merge multiple plugins with Navmesh records, if you know how to fix the NAVI. I think there is a tutorial here somewhere. It involves opening the merged mod in the CK and then fix the navmeshes somehow, but I never really got into that. I always make sure that my merged mods do not contain more than 1 plugin with navmeshes to save me the trouble.

- Etac Dragon bridge south must always stay seperately. I think it has something to do with injected records that don't merge properly. 

Personally I only merge compatibility patches and very small mods. Plugins that only weigh are a few KB and don't conflict with the above tips.

Also keep in mind that SRLE and REGS are currently not fully compatible, since SRLE contains Immersive Citizens with doesn't work (yet) with parts of ETAC and JK's Skyrim.

Edited by TirigonX

Yeah guess I should have specified. Which patch plugins are safe to merge? I will remake my ETaC merged patch and not include Dragon Bridge south this time, but yes I am avoiding anything that requires Navmesh fixing for now, just the simple ones, once these are done then maybe, depends on if I have enough plugin slots left for what I want.

Are you referring to MO saying there's a possible Mod Order problem and you should move mods to fix it?

If so there's been discussion on that feature before. STEP usually recommends to ignore it, as they've tested their suggested order to ensure all works.

MO's creator Tannin has a dissenting view.

What you should do is follow the STEP guide, and then use LOOT. It's then on you as to whether you do what MO suggests to do or not. If STEP's order works for you, then fine, ignore MO. If you do what MO suggests and has it fix things, that should work as well. 

The take home point is there's two ways to go.

1) Follow STEP and don't worry about MO's suggestions.

2) Follow STEP and then do what MO suggests.

I've tried both and haven't seen any glaring issues either way so it's a judgement call.

ty for clarifying that; that's exactly what I was wondering about.

@Darth_mathias I assume both are needed unless stated otherwise in the guide. Btw, for users who have updated Immersive College of Winterhold to version 3.0 and are experiencing an odd issue that cancels any crafting menu after a second or so, a script of this mod seems to be the cause. It will be updated with the next release. For the impatient ones I found this workaround in the comments:

I've fixed my crafting stations by doing this:
bring up console and type:
help "cwi crafting"
this should return something like:
SPEL: (4e353d3a) 'CWI crafting ability'
and then with the id in the brackets that command returns type
player.removespell <id>
for example from the id above it would be:
player.removespell 4e353d3a

-EDIT:

Also when the author's update comes in the near future it will probably be a good idea to run the below command BEFORE updating just so any updated scripts get into your save correctly and run properly. Again as above get the id then run:

player.addspell <id>
eg:
player.addspell 4e353d3a

EDIT: The new update should fix this

Edited by Pretendeavor

trying to install Expanded towns and cites with SRLE I am using the modular version I have removed the parts that conflict with Immersive Citizens i am now wanting to merge all the ESP and patch in a single mods i am wondering if anyone has done this if what load order to you use for the mod.

also does anyone know if Nernies City and Village Expansion is compatible with Immersive Citizens I ask cos REGS uses a modifed version i would guess not since REGS hasn't been updated since April but it good to ask.

Edited by Darth_mathias

According to the mod description for Immersive Citizens, Nernies is not compatible. I don't think it's anything game breaking though, mainly NPCs getting stuck on things, having messed up pathing etc.

Edit: Apparently the conflicts might be a little bit more serious than I originally thought. Some people have found that when the pathing breaks you get large groups of NPCs huddled together and they won't move. This mainly was in regards to ETAC and JK's Skyrim but if Nernies breaks pathing in the same way you can probably expect similar results.

Edited by Arkaedius