STEP v2.2.9.2 Official Bug Reports

TechAngel85

What I've found so far:

• Combat sounds are not positional
  • DynDoLOD Patch causes periodic z-axis offset issue of LOD textures (such as a terrain texture loading in mid-air) and periodic shading/shadow issue of LOD textures (specifically not shaded/shadowed when it should be)
  • Dialog voice overs are constantly cut short/cut off
  • ENB Compatibility: Parallax support is only partial
  • ENB Compatibility: Water foam texture glows in the dark

I have no idea what you're talking about the sounds not being positional.

If you have floating terrain, then you need to run DynDOLOD again. Something is messed up.

STEP doesn't support ENB Presets so we don't test for such things. The particle patch will fix the glow.

I have no idea what you're talking about the sounds not being positional.

If I listen to something like footsteps or waterfalls or whatnot, then the closer I am to something, the louder it is, but fades away when further; and if I turn to the left or right, it changes the sounds to come out of the right or left speaker; but for weapon impacts, the sounds are always 100% volume and always directly front and center regardless of where the fighting is happening. To reproduce, simply listen near, far, and to the side of some NPCs fighting it out.

I've rerun DynDOLOD twice, no errors (at the end) any of the three times, and the periodic issues persist; if I don't load the generated LODs, the normal ones do not have the problem. If no one else has these problems, I guess I'm just unlucky.

First, thanks for you amazing STEP guide and all your brilliant work! 

Second, Request: Immersive Citizens-AI Overhaul release its v0.24 and need to be incorporate into STEP cause I have experienced some AI misbehavior in whiterun (NPC swarming in one house, Lars standstill whole afternoon)with v0.23 and the author said v0.24 have fix it. 

I really had some tough time throughout STEP debugging, I had to set iLargeIntRefCount=262144 to enter helegen (an old bug I suppose?) and disable ENB graphics feature (UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true) to go outside into skyrim. And I find out set DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=2048 or higher to reduce CTD, I browsed website through website to find these solution and tried dozens of time to solve it. 

Current bugs: sudden mute in dialog for a word or two 

Setup: Extreme STEP on windows 10 (6700hq, 16g, 980m, lastest drive, all file on ssd)I wish my experience would help others.

Edited by renyaoqin

If I listen to something like footsteps or waterfalls or whatnot, then the closer I am to something, the louder it is, but fades away when further; and if I turn to the left or right, it changes the sounds to come out of the right or left speaker; but for weapon impacts, the sounds are always 100% volume and always directly front and center regardless of where the fighting is happening. To reproduce, simply listen near, far, and to the side of some NPCs fighting it out.

I've rerun DynDOLOD twice, no errors (at the end) any of the three times, and the periodic issues persist; if I don't load the generated LODs, the normal ones do not have the problem. If no one else has these problems, I guess I'm just unlucky.

Are the weapon sounds positional in vanilla?

Are the weapon sounds positional in vanilla?

Yes. I just retested with only USLEEP enabled and the combat sounds are positional again.

Two quick places to notice:

1. Just after the wagon ride, when the archers shoot the thief, they are too far away to hear their bow strings twinge.

2. After you go indoors and the two imperials start a fight with Ralof, move near and far while turning and you'll hear the differences in their combat sounds. Just let Ralof do the fighting while you listen.

It seems that after STEP, the combat sounds are simply either played or not played depending on a certain distance. There is no variance and no position.

----

Unrelated:

Would it be considered a bug that STEP does not include the textures and meshes from Bandolier, Cloaks of Skyrim, Jaysus Swords, and Winter is Coming Cloaks even though CCO and leveled lists already have the entries for them?

Edited by Electrocutor

hmm... I just ran through that section yesterday and I didn't notice anything odd. Loaded up a game and this time I focused on the sounds as I navigated my way through Helgen.

Firstly the sounds of bows and sword hits are very loud, but I haven't compared to vanilla so I'm not too sure if this an issue. But I did notice directionality with my sound, at least I'm pretty sure I did.

Taking your tip, I hung back and let the others do the fighting and just moved around them, turning left and right and also going behind pillars, doors or walls and I'm hearing differences in volume and direction, though as I said, they do seem very loud. Shield blocking especially seems over-the-top, but then again I've never been in a real sword and shield battle! ::):

Again, I do not have a trained ear and I find it very hard to make comparisons on things that you can't make instant switches between, this is not like looking at two screenshots and deciding which is better/correct!

Are you sure AOS is installed correctly and active?

After paying closer attention, I think what seemed like non-directional impact sounds was in fact just very, very loud sounds echoing off the walls, so I couldn't really tell which way they were coming from.

Testing outdoors gives a lot more room to distance myself and significantly reduce echoing.

I agree that the amplitude is far too high though... Setup an outdoor battle between NPC groups, then back away until the combat impacts sound faint, then take a screenshot. With only vanilla and USLEEP installed, do the same. It seems to me that the distance where combat impacts become faint are about 3 times as far as vanilla, but all the other sounds seem to be about the same.

Unrelated:

Would it be considered a bug that STEP does not include the textures and meshes from Bandolier, Cloaks of Skyrim, Jaysus Swords, and Winter is Coming Cloaks even though CCO and leveled lists already have the entries for them?

No. The authors of those other mods do not give permission to include their textures and meshes in other mods, you need to download the original mods to get those resources. (In theory STEP could ask for special permission, but I doubt it would be given.)

I don't know if this has already been reported but there is an issue in S.T.E.P. Guid v2.2.9.2:

- Step 2.D. tags "Trade and Barter" as core mod. (Meaning it MUST be installed)

- Between Step 2.D and Step 2.E the user is encouraged to do a Benchmark

- The benchmark is impossible to realize with the current mod configuration: "Trade and Barter" explicitly needs SkyUI to be installed and SkyUI is only installed in Step 2.E, making the Benchmark not respect the mod list or simply impossible to do. (As a critical mod dependency is missing, it will result in a CTD at launch)

I've built myself a new pc, and I've been playing a slightly modified STEP Extended install, and noticeably the dialogue is getting clipped like the NPC is getting interrupted and not finishing their sentence. I'll do some testing to see if this is a problem or just something I haven't noticed hitherto.

I don't have a problem with dialog getting cut off so much as dialog going mute when NPCS are at a certain angle from where the player is facing. I think it's a sound "feature" of the vanilla game.

I have the same problem too, and yeah, assumed it was a feature.