STEP v2.2.9.2 Official Bug Reports

TechAngel85

I recently installed STEP 2.2.9.2 Extended, and these were the bugs and inconsistencies that I noticed. From the top of the guide down:

2.C. Extenders

- ENBoost

• The title "Configure" doesn't mention what it is configuring - this might be confusing for new users. It should read "Configure enblocal.ini".
  • Under "Memory" where Boris' VRamSizeTest is mentioned, a note should be put in for Nvidia Optimus users. It should instruct Optimus users to go to the Nvidia Control Panel and select "VRamSizeDX9.exe" from the Program Settings drop-down box, then force it to use the "High-performance Nvidia processor" instead of the integrated card. (I never had an issue with ENB in Skyrim recognizing my Nvidia card, but the test tool would only show 1888MB before forcing it to use the Nvidia card. 4064MB afterward, and that is due to the Win 8.1 4GB cap.) I really pulled my hair out trying to figure out this one, even though it should have been obvious.
  • The hotkey to Free VRAM conflicts with the hotkey groups in SkyUI (F1-F8). By default, the Free VRAM hotkey is set to F4:
    [INPUT]
    //f4
    KeyFreeVRAM=115

This could be changed to something like F11 (which is beside the other ENB hotkey, F12):

[INPUT]
    //f11
    KeyFreeVRAM=122

A single button should do one thing only. As these are both Core mods, this makes it a bug, in my opinion. The Brute Force hotkey (currently "b") could also be changed to something more out of the way (which might prevent someone pulling their hair out if they accidentally press it), but "b" doesn't currently conflict with anything in STEP that I am aware of.

2.D. Fixes

- Hearthfire

• Currently says it should follow Dawnguard in the left pane. It should say that it follows Cleaned Dawnguard ESM. (This is a result of the "first case" cleaning scenario, and I would say this happens the majority of the time. I have two SSDs in a RAID 0, and the "first case" scenario happened for me.)

- Dragonborn

• Currently says it should follow Hearthfire in the left pane. It should say that it follows Cleaned HearthFires ESM.

- Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch

• Currently no recommendation given. By default it will be placed after the High Resolution Texture Packs in the left pane, when it needs to be before them.

- Guard Dialogue Overhaul

• The warning about not cleaning with TES5Edit doesn't look like it's necessary anymore. LOOT doesn't show it as being dirty.

- XP32 Maximum Skeleton

• The last step in the FOMOD pictorial reads "Next" when it should read "Install".

2.E. Interface

- SkyUI

• The wiki should mention the extender and the mod that conflict with the SkyUI group hotkeys (F1-F8), ENBoost (Free VRAM, default = F4) and Come together N Out of the Way (target NPC, default = F2), and a suggestion to visit those wiki pages for instructions to resolve the conflict. Or vice-versa, instructions on those pages to visit the SkyUI page for details. Also, it should mention a conflict with the default vanilla hotkeys:
    QuickSave = F5

A suggestion should be made to change the QuickSave hotkey in the Skyrim menu.

2.F. Conflicting Graphics

- Static Mesh Improvement Mod

• The last step in the FOMOD pictorial reads "Next" when it should read "Install".

- Skyrim HD

• Currently recommends to download the Landscape LITE main file. It is not one of the main files on the download page, it is an optional file.

2.G. Landscape & Environment

- Skyrim Flora Overhaul

• The list of files to hide include these two files:
    textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbranchcompsnow.dds
    textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbranchcompsnowl.dds

However, the list of files to hide do not include the normal maps:

textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbranchcompsnow_n.dds
    textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbranchcompsnowl_n.dds

I have noticed that every other time STEP asks the user to hide a texture that has an accompanying normal map, the normal map is also hidden. Was leaving these normal map files active intentional or an oversight?

- Re-Defined Dungeons

• Missing the text: "This mod is not packaged correctly. When installing this mod, right-click on the Data folder and choose Set data directory. Okay [OK] to install."

- Realistic Water Two

• Missing the text of which file to download above the FOMOD pictorial: "Download and install the Realistic Water Two v1_11 main file". The majority of wiki pages with FOMOD pictorials have either this instruction above the pictorial, the filename under the FOMOD Instructions header, or a Baseline specified.

2.H. Characters & Creatures

- Better Beast Races

• Missing the text: "This mod is not packaged correctly. When installing this mod, right-click on the Data folder and choose Set data directory. Okay [OK] to install."

- Better Freckles

• Missing the text: "This mod is not packaged correctly. When installing this mod, right-click on the data folder and choose Set data directory. Okay [OK] to install."

- Birds and Flocks

• Missing the number of records removed by cleaning in TES5Edit. Cleaning with xEdit3.1.2 removes 50 ITMs.

- Cover Khajiits

• There is no mention on the page that the male textures are already included in Better Males, which is a STEP Core mod. Therefore, only the female textures are needed to be installed.

- New Children

• No mention is made of which file to download. "Download and install the children dirt skin update file".

2.I. Clothing & Equipment

- AMidianBorn Book of Silence

• The Bashed Patch warning with the red background should be placed after the "Final Step" instructions. I am usually a very detail-oriented person, but I very nearly missed those final instructions the first time, as my attention was drawn by the red background (and I didn't scroll down far enough). This would make it more consistent with the rest of the wiki, as usually the warnings are placed right at the end of the instructions (if they are not right at the beginning).

- Gemling Queen Jewelry

• Missing the text of which file to download above the FOMOD pictorial: "Download and install the Gemling Queen Jewelry - All In One Installer v4-1c main file".

- Greatsword Sheaths and Scabbards Redux

• The filename under the FOMOD Instructions header is for the old version (2.7.1): "Greatsword Sheaths and Scabbards Redux NMM Installer". I assume this is not intentional, as there is no mention of the old version number for a baseline. The filename under the FOMOD Instructions header for 2.7.2 (the main file) should read: "Greatsword Sheaths and Scabbards Redux".
  • There is no "Install" button on the FOMOD pictorial.

2.J. Animations & Effects

- Burn Freeze Shock Effects

• No mention is given of which main file to download (BSA or Loose). This can be confusing for users, and one version should be recommended (or some text explaining why it doesn't matter). "Loose" is recommended as Baseline for another mod further down the list, Dragons Shout With Voice.

- Deadly Spell Impacts

- NoMaaM Breathing Idles

• The Baseline recommendation is non-BBB, however no mention is made of which file to download. As STEP is recommending this mod only for the breathing idles (and not the BBB), it makes sense to download the Female without BBB and Male Breathing Idles V0_1 optional file. It is also the only non-BBB file with a "download with NMM" link; the main file forces a manual download. STEP should explicitly recommend downloading the optional file just referenced, to avoid user confusion.

2.K. Clutter & Miscellaneous

- Barenziahs Glory

• Missing the text of which file to download above the FOMOD pictorial: "Download and install the Barenziahs Glory v2-0 main file".

2.L. Sound

- Better Animal Footsteps

• Missing the text of which file to download above the FOMOD pictorial: "Download and install the Better Animal Footsteps 1.5 main file".

2.M. Gameplay

- Come together N Out of the Way

• The "target NPC" hotkey for Come together N Out of the Way (F2) conflicts with the SkyUI hotkey groups (F1-F8). Again, these are both Core mods, which makes this a bug. The hotkey can be changed in the MCM Menu for Nausicaa’s Tweaker. I made mine "n", for Nausicaa.

- Skyrim-Community-Uncapper

- The Choice is Yours

• Currently says to download and install all three main files. Now there is just one main file: The Choice Is Yours - Legendary.

- Even Better Quest Objectives

• The wiki should also mention installing the 1.5.6.1 Patch. I'm not sure, but I think Ess included the Cutting Room Floor hotfix in the newest version of the STEP Compilation. However I think the main 1.5.6.1 patch still needs to be installed from the EBQO page, unless I am mistaken.

2.N. Patches

- Bashed Patch

• Currently says for Step 4: "At the Deactivate these mods... prompt, click OK." Now with Wiseman303's Trap Fixes having the NoMerge bash tag, the Deactivate tag is also inferred as a result. This means it shows up in that deactivate pop-up window as well, albeit in a different pane. Whether you deactivate the mod or not, it will not automatically merge - it won't be in the list of merged mods after clicking OK in the deactivate popup. Therefore I suggest altering Step 4 to include a reference to untick WM Trap Fixes.esp. Alternatively, add a step at the end to re-activate it, if you let Wrye Bash deactivate it prior to making the Bashed Patch.

- Fores New Idles in Skyrim

- Dynamic Distant Objects LOD

• Under the Generate LODs section, Step 1 is: "Ensure DynDOLOD.esp is the last plugin in your load order." I think it is important to add in that step that the HighResTexturePack dummy plugins need to be ticked. To avoid confusion, it might be good to also mention ticking the Unofficial High Resolution Texture Patch. I was under the assumption for the longest time that DynDOLOD didn't need the HighResTexturePack dummy plugins ticked for the script, but Ess mentioned they still needed to be ticked in a post the other day. It is not 100% clear from the current instructions whether the dummy plugins that we are instructed earlier in the guide to untick should be ticked again or not for DynDOLOD generation. Any text explanation with the phrase "dummy plugins" should make things crystal clear for all users. Also, remind people to untick the dummy plugins after the DynDOLOD process is complete.

I know this is a pretty extensive list, and I know how busy you guys all are with your own projects. If you like, I can edit some of this info in the wiki myself (if basic users are allowed to edit the wiki), assuming you concur with my findings. Just let me know. Cheers. :-)

Edited by Nebulous112
  • +1 5

I've address most of the issues in Neb's post above.

• I've not included any information about Hotkeys. Users should set these up to their preferences.
  • Guard Dialogue Overhaul - This note is still needed because xEdit will still find this ITM.
  • Skyrim Flora Overhaul - I believe the normals are still desired.
  • Realistic Water Two - updated with a note for ENB users as well.
  • Birds and Flocks - no number is listed because new versions of xEdit kept finding new records to clean so we removed the number for maintenance purposes.
  • Cover Khajiits - completely redid this mod page. Good catch.
  • New Children - There is only one file that isn't an "Old File". Only use old files when specifically instructed to do so. That would only leave one file to download. Should be common sense.
  • Barenziahs Glory - again...don't download old files unless directed to do so.
  • EBQO - I'll let EssArrBee address this one.
  • DynDOLOD - That step is actually still in the instructions, but hidden. We had it in there but found out that you actually don't need to tick these for DynDOLOD to work correctly. I'll hit up Sheson to verify though.

Thanks for putting in all this work, Tech. Looks great. :-)

I understand about not recommending specific hotkeys, as which hotkeys to use are user's choice. However, I think it still would be useful to mention the three conflicts with SkyUI on the SkyUI wiki page.

Also, do you have any thoughts on the Bashed Patch issue I mentioned with WM Trap Fixes? I noticed on the WM Trap Fixes wiki that there is a note saying not to merge it, but from what I saw, whether you deactivate it or not at the prompt, it still won't merge automatically.

Lastly, can I safely assume it'll take a day or two for the main wiki cache to sort itself out (kind of like messing with thread tags on the forum)?

From the "recent changes" page I can see for example that you added a recommendation to Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch, but it doesn't show up under "Notes" on the main guide wiki page. Same with the "Loose" baseline recommendation for Burn Freeze Shock Effects. Etc., Etc.

Thanks again, Tech. :-)

Edited by Nebulous112

I'll look into providing a notice to users about the hotkeys. I personally never use hotkeys, so I didn't even know the conflicts were there. :ermm:

As long as it doesn't merge automatically during bashing, it's not anything to worry about. I usually leave those things up to EssArrBee because he's more knowledge than I in that area.

The cache on the wiki will update itself in a few hours. S4N doesn't like us forcing page refreshes. :^_^:

I'll look into providing a notice to users about the hotkeys. I personally never use hotkeys, so I didn't even know the conflicts were there. :ermm:

Thanks, Tech. I've noticed users in the past asking about the "Come Together N Out of the Way" hotkey conflict in particular, since it is the most noticeable conflict (it shoots a visible spell).

Also, I urge you to try the group hotkeys on your next playthrough! I've found them invaluable, myself. You can set F1 through F8 to automatically equip spells / items / equipment. I use them primarily to switch between different spells and equipped weapons. F1 can be two of your favourite spells (or dual-casting one), F2 can be more destructive spells, F3 protective spells, F4 healing, F5 sword and shield, etc. I'm pretty sure you can also have it swap armour and stuff as well, but I tend to use the same armour all of the time.

I find the F1-F8 group hotkeys much easier and faster than going in the menu every time. Now I only do that if I have to use the odd spell or weapon not assigned to one of the SkyUI hotkey groups.

As long as it doesn't merge automatically during bashing, it's not anything to worry about. I usually leave those things up to EssArrBee because he's more knowledge than I in that area.

Fair enough. Like you say, it shouldn't matter (regarding bashing) whether it deactivates or not as long as it isn't merged. My concern is that with the current instructions, WM Trap Fixes will be left deactivated at the end of the instructions, and many users will not know to re-activate it.

Edited by Nebulous112

WM Trap Fixes will be left deactivated at the end of the instructions, and many users will not know to re-activate it.

Was TOLD to leave it deactivated , , when I asked about this process ?!! , I have posted my Load Order a few times now , and its , deactivated as are all the other ESP that bash uses

Edited by sutex

The trough water is coming from Skyrim HD and it looks the same in my game as well. I just found ENB Water on Horse Trough on Nexus that replaces the trough water with the water in Realistic Water 2. It's actually a very simple mod that changes the texture name from "Data\Textures\DefaultWater.dds" to "Data\Textures\Water\calm_choppy_generic.dds.

There is also another mode (linked from the mod above) that replaces the smelter troughs, although this one is much more complicated.