STEP v2.2.9.2 Official Bug Reports

TechAngel85

If a mod is packaged in an unexpected way, MO will bring up the manual selection window during install. I vote to remove all such notes from mod pages and ensure that generic instructions for this type of install is in the MO quick-start guide ... this would resolve the consistency issue.

I prefer this solution as well.

I was going to vote to change nothing, but I see I'm too late.

Maybe at least this one should be put back in:

HD Ore And Ingots

This mod is not packaged correctly. When installing this mod, double click on “HD Ore And Ingots†then right-click on the Data folder and choose [set data directory]. Untick fomod, and then Okay [OK] to install.

because of the additional instruction to "Untick fomod"

HD Ore And Ingots

This mod is not packaged correctly. When installing this mod, double click on “HD Ore And Ingots†then right-click on the Data folder and choose [set data directory]. Untick fomod, and then Okay [OK] to install.

Nothing has been changed yet. You can always check recent changes to STEP wikis from this link. You can check individual wiki page history from the Page Tools menu if you log into the wiki with your STEP account.

HD Ore and Ingots has never had this instruction, IIRC, because when installing with MO (and not choosing manual), no additional steps are needed.

That being said, there are one or two pages that would need to retain special instructions, like Vivid Landscapes - Tundra Moss Revised (we use the High Poly Mesh option in the optional file, not the normal Data folder), but I think Z's idea makes sense.

It is a pretty basic (and common) thing when using MO, and all users should learn how to do this.

Edit:

We have a quick-start guide to MO???

I think Z is referring to this page, DY.

Thank you Nebulous112, I see now that those were "proposed changes" from Aeradom.

I know that MO can sort out "no data on top" correctly without intervention 99.9% of the time and it is very easy to correct manually if you choose to, but the instruction is reassuring to new modders.

We were all n00bs once! (from a very recent modding n00b)

HD Ore And Ingots

This mod is not packaged correctly. When installing this mod, double click on “HD Ore And Ingots” then right-click on the Data folder and choose [set data directory]. Untick fomod, and then Okay [OK] to install.

I wasn't going to say this, but now I will that others have chimed in. Most of what the mods you reported have no issues at all. They're installed with the FOMOD installers. The only reason you're seeing a lot more of them is because you've decided to install everything manually regardless if there is an included FOMOD or BAIN-compatible structure. Basically, it's mainly on your end because you're doing something different than the usual way.

I wasn't going to say this, but now I will that others have chimed in. Most of what the mods you reported have no issues at all. They're installed with the FOMOD installers. The only reason you're seeing a lot more of them is because you've decided to install everything manually regardless if there is an included FOMOD or BAIN-compatible structure. Basically, it's mainly on your end because you're doing something different than the usual way.

It wasn't me, I like how the guide is set up now. I've followed it several time and have had no real problems understanding the instructions.

@Neb

Yes the mod page is what I meant, since that is our basic instruction for installing/using MO. Either way, I don't think instructions on package reconfiguration through MO is really necessary anywhere but in the main MO guide, since MO walks the user through this when it encounters non-standard package configs. Maybe a note when there is something really wierd though, like a plugin residing in some package subfolder, etc.

@Z

I do like your original suggestion of putting this instruction in the MO mod page, though. As often as we tell people to read the full MO guide (and despite the link on the MO mod page), I doubt more than 50% actually do. As Joat_Mon points out, it can also be reassuring to see some explicit instructions when you are a newbie.

Perhaps adding something like this to the MO mod page would be sufficient (inserted before MO Guide link)?

As you will read in the MO Guide, sometimes mods are packaged in a way that MO doesn't expect. When you try to install such a mod, MO will revert to manual installation mode when installing. You will be prompted with a dialogue window that shows the full mod folder contents and you will have to tell MO the appropriate data directory to install by right-clicking and selecting the directory. When the dialogue window shows "Looks good!" the data directory has been properly selected, and you can then press "OK" to finish the install.

Edit: Wording, typos